Jan 5, 2013, 1:15 PM EST
If the 2012-13 season happens, training camps should open a week from today. A lot would be riding on the question: is everyone ready?
Winnipeg Jets forward Bryan Little ranks among the many players trying to stay in shape via workouts rather than games in other leagues. After Thursday workouts, Little told the Winnipeg Free Press that he noticed the tempo picking up lately.
“I just got back today and you can just tell skating out here that the intensity’s up a bit and guys are skating at the end and doing some extra stuff and we’ve added some more days of skating,” Little said. “It seems like everyone’s preparing for something.”
New Jersey Devils center Travis Zajac also observed that players “started to pick up the pace a little more” about a week ago.
Those two players have every reason to get in shape, too. Zajac and Little are in the last year of their respective contracts and are likely to play big roles on their respective teams, so 2012-13 could be very lucrative for each scorer.
In other words, out-of-work players like Little and Zajac need to prepare as if opening night will indeed be on Jan. 19.
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 154
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 98
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 120
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 90
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 88
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 69
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 47
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 78
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (154)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (128)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (120)
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller (98)