Jan 5, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
If the 2012-13 season happens, training camps should open a week from today. A lot would be riding on the question: is everyone ready?
Winnipeg Jets forward Bryan Little ranks among the many players trying to stay in shape via workouts rather than games in other leagues. After Thursday workouts, Little told the Winnipeg Free Press that he noticed the tempo picking up lately.
“I just got back today and you can just tell skating out here that the intensity’s up a bit and guys are skating at the end and doing some extra stuff and we’ve added some more days of skating,” Little said. “It seems like everyone’s preparing for something.”
New Jersey Devils center Travis Zajac also observed that players “started to pick up the pace a little more” about a week ago.
Those two players have every reason to get in shape, too. Zajac and Little are in the last year of their respective contracts and are likely to play big roles on their respective teams, so 2012-13 could be very lucrative for each scorer.
In other words, out-of-work players like Little and Zajac need to prepare as if opening night will indeed be on Jan. 19.
- Subban: Contract in arbitrator’s hands now 18
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 23
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 64
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 9
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 32
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 47
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (64)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Poll: Is Drew Doughty the best defenseman in the world? (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (47)