Jan 5, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
If the 2012-13 season happens, training camps should open a week from today. A lot would be riding on the question: is everyone ready?
Winnipeg Jets forward Bryan Little ranks among the many players trying to stay in shape via workouts rather than games in other leagues. After Thursday workouts, Little told the Winnipeg Free Press that he noticed the tempo picking up lately.
“I just got back today and you can just tell skating out here that the intensity’s up a bit and guys are skating at the end and doing some extra stuff and we’ve added some more days of skating,” Little said. “It seems like everyone’s preparing for something.”
New Jersey Devils center Travis Zajac also observed that players “started to pick up the pace a little more” about a week ago.
Those two players have every reason to get in shape, too. Zajac and Little are in the last year of their respective contracts and are likely to play big roles on their respective teams, so 2012-13 could be very lucrative for each scorer.
In other words, out-of-work players like Little and Zajac need to prepare as if opening night will indeed be on Jan. 19.
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 79
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5
- Wild assistant Sydor arrested for suspected drunk driving, child endangerment 30
- It’s Montreal Canadiens day at PHT 14
- Capitals’ biggest question: Is this finally the year? 32