Jan 5, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
If the 2012-13 season happens, training camps should open a week from today. A lot would be riding on the question: is everyone ready?
Winnipeg Jets forward Bryan Little ranks among the many players trying to stay in shape via workouts rather than games in other leagues. After Thursday workouts, Little told the Winnipeg Free Press that he noticed the tempo picking up lately.
“I just got back today and you can just tell skating out here that the intensity’s up a bit and guys are skating at the end and doing some extra stuff and we’ve added some more days of skating,” Little said. “It seems like everyone’s preparing for something.”
New Jersey Devils center Travis Zajac also observed that players “started to pick up the pace a little more” about a week ago.
Those two players have every reason to get in shape, too. Zajac and Little are in the last year of their respective contracts and are likely to play big roles on their respective teams, so 2012-13 could be very lucrative for each scorer.
In other words, out-of-work players like Little and Zajac need to prepare as if opening night will indeed be on Jan. 19.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)