Jan 5, 2013, 1:15 PM EDT
If the 2012-13 season happens, training camps should open a week from today. A lot would be riding on the question: is everyone ready?
Winnipeg Jets forward Bryan Little ranks among the many players trying to stay in shape via workouts rather than games in other leagues. After Thursday workouts, Little told the Winnipeg Free Press that he noticed the tempo picking up lately.
“I just got back today and you can just tell skating out here that the intensity’s up a bit and guys are skating at the end and doing some extra stuff and we’ve added some more days of skating,” Little said. “It seems like everyone’s preparing for something.”
New Jersey Devils center Travis Zajac also observed that players “started to pick up the pace a little more” about a week ago.
Those two players have every reason to get in shape, too. Zajac and Little are in the last year of their respective contracts and are likely to play big roles on their respective teams, so 2012-13 could be very lucrative for each scorer.
In other words, out-of-work players like Little and Zajac need to prepare as if opening night will indeed be on Jan. 19.
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ 29
- Holland doesn’t see Babcock deal by start of season 8
- Risk Factors: Pittsburgh Penguins edition 4
- PHT Morning Skate: Flyers bringing back Ice Girls 15
- Dillon’s agent: Discussions with Stars are ‘frustrating and disappointing’ 7
- NHL shoots down Tkachev’s contract with Edmonton 9
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 6
- Johansen, Blue Jackets talks haven’t just resumed, they’re ‘very polite’ 15
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 12
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 13
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Julien thinks diving crackdown is ‘step in the right direction’ (29)
- Reinhart admits frustration; time running out to make Sabres? (25)
- Canucks waive Markstrom as Shinkaruk, Jensen continue to impress (23)
- Filip Forsberg has scored two thirds of the Preds’ preseason goals (21)