Jan 5, 2013, 1:34 PM EDT
NHL labor talks with federal mediator Scot Beckenbaugh involved have picked up enough that the two sides are meeting face-to-face this afternoon.
TSN’s Darren Dreger reports from sources saying that today could turn out to be a “very good day” in regards to talks. He also says anticipation at the NHLPA’s hotel is picking up and the two sides are down to “minimal issues.”
Take this positive talk with the typical grain of salt we’ve gotten used to using through all this. That said, with the NHLPA potentially (likely?) filing for disclaimer after 6 p.m. ET tonight, perhaps the pressure is on the NHL and players’ union to get something squared away sooner than not.
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 17
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 21
- It’s San Jose Sharks Day at PHT 23
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 94
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 28
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5