Jan 5, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks prospect John Gibson turned his World Junior Championships gold medal winning performance into a huge personal feat.
Gibson pulled off a hat trick of honors winning the tournament MVP award, the best goalie award, and a spot on the media’s all-star team. He finished the tournament with a .955 save percentage and a 1.36 goals against average.
A goalie winning tournament MVP honors is a rare feat in World Juniors. The last goalie to take home that honor was Team Canada netminder and current Blue Jackets goalie Steve Mason back in 2008. The Ducks are hoping that isn’t a an ominous omen for Gibson’s future.
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 0
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 9
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 11
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4