Jan 5, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks prospect John Gibson turned his World Junior Championships gold medal winning performance into a huge personal feat.
Gibson pulled off a hat trick of honors winning the tournament MVP award, the best goalie award, and a spot on the media’s all-star team. He finished the tournament with a .955 save percentage and a 1.36 goals against average.
A goalie winning tournament MVP honors is a rare feat in World Juniors. The last goalie to take home that honor was Team Canada netminder and current Blue Jackets goalie Steve Mason back in 2008. The Ducks are hoping that isn’t a an ominous omen for Gibson’s future.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 0
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 9
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 17
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 13
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)