Jan 5, 2013, 12:10 PM EDT
Anaheim Ducks prospect John Gibson turned his World Junior Championships gold medal winning performance into a huge personal feat.
Gibson pulled off a hat trick of honors winning the tournament MVP award, the best goalie award, and a spot on the media’s all-star team. He finished the tournament with a .955 save percentage and a 1.36 goals against average.
A goalie winning tournament MVP honors is a rare feat in World Juniors. The last goalie to take home that honor was Team Canada netminder and current Blue Jackets goalie Steve Mason back in 2008. The Ducks are hoping that isn’t a an ominous omen for Gibson’s future.
- Workhorse goalies, forwards from last season 9
- Five interesting players still on UFA market 34
- Trotz will still cheer for Preds ‘like crazy’ 4
- Hextall: Advanced statistics small, but meaningful part of Kings’ success 7
- Hayes sees opportunity with Rangers 27
- Fanspeak: Martin Brodeur named greatest Devil in franchise history 14
- Devils’ Gomez considered retirement 7
- It’s New Jersey Devils day on PHT 22
- Fanspeak: Bobby Orr named best Bruin in franchise history 30
- Video: Bruins participate in commercials to promote NHL 15 6