Jan 4, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
When Nebraska-Omaha and Colorado College square off in an all-WCHA affair tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN, there’s going to be a lot of big scorers to keep an eye on.
No. 15 Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks (11-8-1) vs. Colorado College Tigers (8-10-2)
Leading the way for UNO is the man who’s tied for the NCAA lead in points, junior forward Ryan Walters (pictured). Walters is tied with St. Cloud’s Drew LeBlanc in points and tied with two others for the national lead in goals with 12. His abilities to find the net have helped the Mavericks climb into the USA Hockey/USA Today poll and give his team the lift they need in conference.
For Colorado College, it’s not just one player doing the damage for them but a host of guys finding the net. Leading the way for the Tigers is senior Rylan Schwartz with 24 points, 10 of those on goals. CC rolls into tonight’s game with two other 10-goal scorers in seniors William Rapuzzi and Stars prospect Scott Winkler. Throw in Alexander Krushelnyski and his 23 points and you’ve got a powerful four-pronged attack coming out of Colorado Springs.
What both teams could stand to have is a little help in goal. Both teams feature goalies whose save percentages are hovering right around .900 and that’s not so hot. With the firepower Colorado College has and the kind of season Walters is having, along with fellow forwards Dominic Zombo and Josh Archibald, a bad night in goal could mean a long night for the rest of the team.
NHL prospects to watch
Nebraska-Omaha: SO-forward Josh Archibald (Pittsburgh), SR-defenseman Bryce Aneloski, FR-defenseman Nick Seeler (Minnesota), SR-forward Brent Gwidt (Nashville), FR-goalie Anthony Stolarz (Philadelphia), FR-defenseman Brian Cooper (Anaheim), FR-forward Tanner Lane (Winnipeg)
Colorado College: SO-forward Scott Winkler (Dallas), FR-forward Hunter Fejes (Phoenix), SO-defenseman Aaron Harstad (Winnipeg), SO-defenseman Peter Stoykewych (Winnipeg)
Jul 4, 2015, 7:10 PM EDT
They had agreed to terms last weekend.
Jul 4, 2015, 5:40 PM EDT
Played 37 games with Edmonton last season before getting sent back to the WHL.
Jul 4, 2015, 4:10 PM EDT
He signed with Pittsburgh on Wednesday.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:57 PM EDT
Both received two-way deals.
Jul 4, 2015, 2:01 PM EDT
Will he make the 2015-16 Flyers?
Jul 4, 2015, 12:48 PM EDT
Washington’s AHL tandem has more NHL playing experience than Holtby and Grubauer.
Jul 4, 2015, 11:30 AM EDT
He usually gets at least one stint in the NHL per season.
Jul 4, 2015, 10:18 AM EDT
The two sides reportedly aren’t close to an agreement.
Jul 4, 2015, 9:09 AM EDT
What role he has could depend on the Kings and league’s decision regarding Slava Voynov.
Jul 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
Scored 13 goals in 54 games last season.
Jul 3, 2015, 10:00 PM EDT
He was sentenced in September, 2013.
Jul 3, 2015, 9:00 PM EDT
Spent the last three seasons in the KHL.
Jul 3, 2015, 7:44 PM EDT
Buffalo also signed Cal O’Reilly, who played last season with the AHL Utica Comets.
Jul 3, 2015, 6:43 PM EDT
He signed a six-year, $36 million deal with Columbus.
Jul 3, 2015, 5:44 PM EDT
“Joel is a quality veteran player who can score but also plays an extremely hard-nosed brand of hockey.”
Jul 3, 2015, 5:00 PM EDT
Could make things interesting next season.
Jul 3, 2015, 4:00 PM EDT
Brings a wealth of success, experience at AHL, collegiate levels.
Jul 3, 2015, 3:12 PM EDT
$52.5 million extension.
Jul 3, 2015, 2:50 PM EDT
“This long-term commitment that assures he will be an important part of our team for years to come.”
Jul 3, 2015, 2:37 PM EDT
“They gotta come in and knock somebody out of the box.”
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 3
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 7
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 18
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 28
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)