Jan 4, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
When Nebraska-Omaha and Colorado College square off in an all-WCHA affair tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN, there’s going to be a lot of big scorers to keep an eye on.
No. 15 Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks (11-8-1) vs. Colorado College Tigers (8-10-2)
Leading the way for UNO is the man who’s tied for the NCAA lead in points, junior forward Ryan Walters (pictured). Walters is tied with St. Cloud’s Drew LeBlanc in points and tied with two others for the national lead in goals with 12. His abilities to find the net have helped the Mavericks climb into the USA Hockey/USA Today poll and give his team the lift they need in conference.
For Colorado College, it’s not just one player doing the damage for them but a host of guys finding the net. Leading the way for the Tigers is senior Rylan Schwartz with 24 points, 10 of those on goals. CC rolls into tonight’s game with two other 10-goal scorers in seniors William Rapuzzi and Stars prospect Scott Winkler. Throw in Alexander Krushelnyski and his 23 points and you’ve got a powerful four-pronged attack coming out of Colorado Springs.
What both teams could stand to have is a little help in goal. Both teams feature goalies whose save percentages are hovering right around .900 and that’s not so hot. With the firepower Colorado College has and the kind of season Walters is having, along with fellow forwards Dominic Zombo and Josh Archibald, a bad night in goal could mean a long night for the rest of the team.
NHL prospects to watch
Nebraska-Omaha: SO-forward Josh Archibald (Pittsburgh), SR-defenseman Bryce Aneloski, FR-defenseman Nick Seeler (Minnesota), SR-forward Brent Gwidt (Nashville), FR-goalie Anthony Stolarz (Philadelphia), FR-defenseman Brian Cooper (Anaheim), FR-forward Tanner Lane (Winnipeg)
Colorado College: SO-forward Scott Winkler (Dallas), FR-forward Hunter Fejes (Phoenix), SO-defenseman Aaron Harstad (Winnipeg), SO-defenseman Peter Stoykewych (Winnipeg)
Aug 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
It blows the Kings goaltender’s mind that he’s not talked about more, so let’s discuss him.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:20 PM EDT
He used to have that role with the Calgary Flames.
Aug 4, 2015, 7:50 PM EDT
They signed him to a one-year deal while fellow breakout rookie Mark Stone got a three-year contract.
Aug 4, 2015, 6:28 PM EDT
Jim Benning follows through after calling him a “foundation piece.”
Aug 4, 2015, 6:20 PM EDT
Assuming of course Bill Foley succeeds in his attempt to bring the NHL to Sin City.
Aug 4, 2015, 4:55 PM EDT
Where should we set the bar post-Babcock?
Aug 4, 2015, 4:14 PM EDT
That didn’t work out for them.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
Yes, it’s the inevitable, perennial Red Wings question.
Aug 4, 2015, 3:05 PM EDT
MLBAM will handle NHL.com, Center Ice, Game Center Live and the NHL Network in 2016.
Aug 4, 2015, 2:15 PM EDT
Can Jimmy Howard and Petr Mrazek get it done, collectively?
Aug 4, 2015, 1:00 PM EDT
Adding a wealth of experience.
Aug 4, 2015, 12:22 PM EDT
The skilled Swede may or may not be ready to start the season.
Aug 4, 2015, 11:17 AM EDT
He’s already made a positive impression on Jeff Blashill.
Aug 4, 2015, 10:08 AM EDT
Mike Babcock’s act is a tough one to follow.
Aug 4, 2015, 9:00 AM EDT
The book has closed on the Mike Babcock era.
Aug 4, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Aug 3, 2015, 11:00 PM EDT
The squads will feature players that were part of either organization from 1996-2002
Aug 3, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
He’ll be fighting to be seen as the team’s third-string goaltender.
Aug 3, 2015, 8:15 PM EDT
He’s already improved the perception of the franchise, but will he have that kind of impact long-term?
Aug 3, 2015, 6:45 PM EDT
He’ll have a tough time maintaining a top-six role though.
- Canucks ink Brandon Sutter to five-year, $21.875 million extension 18
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM 36
- It’s Detroit Red Wings Day at PHT 15
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 32
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 33
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 29
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Owner Pegula: Sabres have gone through ‘two of the most successful seasons we’ve ever had’ (43)
- NHL unveils ‘historic’ digital media rights deal with MLBAM (38)