Jan 4, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
When Nebraska-Omaha and Colorado College square off in an all-WCHA affair tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN, there’s going to be a lot of big scorers to keep an eye on.
No. 15 Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks (11-8-1) vs. Colorado College Tigers (8-10-2)
Leading the way for UNO is the man who’s tied for the NCAA lead in points, junior forward Ryan Walters (pictured). Walters is tied with St. Cloud’s Drew LeBlanc in points and tied with two others for the national lead in goals with 12. His abilities to find the net have helped the Mavericks climb into the USA Hockey/USA Today poll and give his team the lift they need in conference.
For Colorado College, it’s not just one player doing the damage for them but a host of guys finding the net. Leading the way for the Tigers is senior Rylan Schwartz with 24 points, 10 of those on goals. CC rolls into tonight’s game with two other 10-goal scorers in seniors William Rapuzzi and Stars prospect Scott Winkler. Throw in Alexander Krushelnyski and his 23 points and you’ve got a powerful four-pronged attack coming out of Colorado Springs.
What both teams could stand to have is a little help in goal. Both teams feature goalies whose save percentages are hovering right around .900 and that’s not so hot. With the firepower Colorado College has and the kind of season Walters is having, along with fellow forwards Dominic Zombo and Josh Archibald, a bad night in goal could mean a long night for the rest of the team.
NHL prospects to watch
Nebraska-Omaha: SO-forward Josh Archibald (Pittsburgh), SR-defenseman Bryce Aneloski, FR-defenseman Nick Seeler (Minnesota), SR-forward Brent Gwidt (Nashville), FR-goalie Anthony Stolarz (Philadelphia), FR-defenseman Brian Cooper (Anaheim), FR-forward Tanner Lane (Winnipeg)
Colorado College: SO-forward Scott Winkler (Dallas), FR-forward Hunter Fejes (Phoenix), SO-defenseman Aaron Harstad (Winnipeg), SO-defenseman Peter Stoykewych (Winnipeg)
Oct 21, 2014, 9:11 AM EDT
Both players have missed the start of the season.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:33 AM EDT
Of course Philadelphia needs to take care of business in its own end too.
Oct 21, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Tuesday’s collection of links.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:56 AM EDT
Get out the swear jar.
Oct 21, 2014, 1:11 AM EDT
Yeah, he was.
Oct 21, 2014, 12:20 AM EDT
It finally happened and it happened with a late goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:57 PM EDT
Caught Taylor Hall with a heavy hit earlier in the game.
Oct 20, 2014, 11:24 PM EDT
Now, can they hang on for the win?
Oct 20, 2014, 11:07 PM EDT
Talking about the Oilers perhaps trading one of their young players.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:39 PM EDT
Heavy hit along the boards.
Oct 20, 2014, 10:04 PM EDT
That’s about as much trash talk as you’re going to get from Willie D.
Oct 20, 2014, 9:21 PM EDT
Alex Killorn is – again, this is based on same report – out of the lineup.
Oct 20, 2014, 8:33 PM EDT
“He’s got to go and maybe play out of the spotlight that we have here in Toronto.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:57 PM EDT
“I’ve played three games and it hasn’t gone even close to the way it needs to be.”
Oct 20, 2014, 7:01 PM EDT
Leafs add some organizational depth.
Oct 20, 2014, 6:06 PM EDT
Colorado, getting some good news in goal.
Oct 20, 2014, 5:20 PM EDT
Caps are off on a road trip to Western Canada.
Oct 20, 2014, 4:16 PM EDT
Coach Cooper cites the long trip to Edmonton from Syracuse as reason to keep the rookie out against the Oilers.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:52 PM EDT
A fairly well-deserved honor.
Oct 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
News and notes from the blue paint…
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers aim to solve Hawks’ Crawford 1
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 13
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 34
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)