Jan 4, 2013, 8:00 AM EDT
When Nebraska-Omaha and Colorado College square off in an all-WCHA affair tonight at 7:30 p.m. ET on NBCSN, there’s going to be a lot of big scorers to keep an eye on.
No. 15 Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks (11-8-1) vs. Colorado College Tigers (8-10-2)
Leading the way for UNO is the man who’s tied for the NCAA lead in points, junior forward Ryan Walters (pictured). Walters is tied with St. Cloud’s Drew LeBlanc in points and tied with two others for the national lead in goals with 12. His abilities to find the net have helped the Mavericks climb into the USA Hockey/USA Today poll and give his team the lift they need in conference.
For Colorado College, it’s not just one player doing the damage for them but a host of guys finding the net. Leading the way for the Tigers is senior Rylan Schwartz with 24 points, 10 of those on goals. CC rolls into tonight’s game with two other 10-goal scorers in seniors William Rapuzzi and Stars prospect Scott Winkler. Throw in Alexander Krushelnyski and his 23 points and you’ve got a powerful four-pronged attack coming out of Colorado Springs.
What both teams could stand to have is a little help in goal. Both teams feature goalies whose save percentages are hovering right around .900 and that’s not so hot. With the firepower Colorado College has and the kind of season Walters is having, along with fellow forwards Dominic Zombo and Josh Archibald, a bad night in goal could mean a long night for the rest of the team.
NHL prospects to watch
Nebraska-Omaha: SO-forward Josh Archibald (Pittsburgh), SR-defenseman Bryce Aneloski, FR-defenseman Nick Seeler (Minnesota), SR-forward Brent Gwidt (Nashville), FR-goalie Anthony Stolarz (Philadelphia), FR-defenseman Brian Cooper (Anaheim), FR-forward Tanner Lane (Winnipeg)
Colorado College: SO-forward Scott Winkler (Dallas), FR-forward Hunter Fejes (Phoenix), SO-defenseman Aaron Harstad (Winnipeg), SO-defenseman Peter Stoykewych (Winnipeg)
Jul 31, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
Lou Lamoriello says those SO struggles are “not a focus.”
Jul 31, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
“It will help me down the road.”
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 PM EDT
Have fun making up captions with this one.
Jul 31, 2014, 7:39 PM EDT
The team estimates he’ll miss two weeks of on-ice training.
Jul 31, 2014, 6:43 PM EDT
The former first-rounder still needs to prove himself.
Jul 31, 2014, 5:18 PM EDT
The forward is already endearing himself to Blue Jackets fans.
Jul 31, 2014, 3:54 PM EDT
Ottawa’s offseason is receiving mixed reviews.
Jul 31, 2014, 2:31 PM EDT
He doesn’t know how to haggle.
Jul 31, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
Dallas Stars version.
Jul 31, 2014, 12:41 PM EDT
Let’s make a big deal out of this, shall we?
Jul 31, 2014, 11:52 AM EDT
A “well-deserved” honor, according to Ed Snider.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
Beginning with the Stanley Cup champion Los Angeles Kings. Click for the full 30-team schedule.
Jul 31, 2014, 10:22 AM EDT
Brandon Sutter next?
Jul 31, 2014, 9:51 AM EDT
Went 12-15-6 with a .913 save percentage last season for Ottawa.
Jul 31, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
But he also won’t require surgery.
Jul 31, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
All that and more, inside.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
They’ll face off against Canada and Russia at a tournament in Toronto next week.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Acquired last season in exchange for Krys Barch.
Jul 30, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
“We’re moving along on that.”
Jul 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
“We haven’t approached it in that respect.”
- Flyers’ Mason broke his right pinky finger playing ball hockey 11
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame 56
- It’s back! PHT’s Team of the Day summer series starts tomorrow 7
- Pens sign Spaling — two years, $4.4 million 13
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 30
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 18
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 46
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 59
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 21
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Lindros, LeClair and Desjardins to be inducted into the Flyers Hall of Fame (62)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (59)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (46)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)