Jan 4, 2013, 12:54 PM EST
Switzerland’s National League “A” has fined defenseman Clarence Kparghai 900 Swiss francs — approximately $1000 USD — for biting New York Islanders forward John Tavares.
IIHF communications manager Szymon Szemberg passes along word of the punishment, explaining the incident occurred on Dec. 22 in a game between Kparghai’s Biel team and SC Bern, Tavares’ club during the lockout.
Here’s an enthralling Google translation of what transpired:
Based on the collected evidence – the brief reports of Canton Doctor of Canton train and specialist in forensic medicine FMH and the finding of John Tavares examining physician – and the statements of the parties involved at the confrontation interrogation considered the single judge it as proven that actually John Tavares of Clarence Kparghai has been bitten…
…His conduct violated a general principle of law. Note to be, not in the sense that even the IIHF Rule 527 there was an injury dangerous in football technical sense, however. Simple assault under Article 123 of the Criminal Code in the form of a bite Bieler was in favor of the defender to be considered in mitigation of punishment that John Tavares his opponent “in a headlock” and took that in Clarence Kparghai was therefore in a self-defense situation.
Tavares, who recently captured gold with Team Canada at the Spengler Cup, is now back playing in the Swiss league, no doubt thrilled the market value for chomping him has been set at a thousand bucks.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:59 AM EST
Darryl Sutter must like what he sees with the advantage.
Dec 28, 2014, 1:03 AM EST
Dec 28, 2014, 12:36 AM EST
Meanwhile, the Rangers are playing OK.
Dec 28, 2014, 12:05 AM EST
Battle of California tonight.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:47 PM EST
Some controversy in this game, too.
Dec 27, 2014, 11:02 PM EST
Same old, same old.
Dec 27, 2014, 10:48 PM EST
Holy puck possession!
Dec 27, 2014, 10:27 PM EST
Physical game between these teams.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:46 PM EST
These teams, as we all know, don’t care for each other.
Dec 27, 2014, 9:32 PM EST
Dec 27, 2014, 8:48 PM EST
This had been brewing for some time.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:27 PM EST
No call on the play.
Dec 27, 2014, 8:05 PM EST
Injury occurred on a clean hit along the boards.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:28 PM EST
Interesting times for the Devils.
Dec 27, 2014, 7:00 PM EST
Starting to tighten up in the Eastern Conference standings.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:26 PM EST
Minnesota has recalled John Curry.
Dec 27, 2014, 6:02 PM EST
Was fired three games into the 2013-14 season.
Dec 27, 2014, 5:24 PM EST
St. Louis will host the Dallas Stars.
Dec 27, 2014, 4:46 PM EST
Will that last?
Dec 27, 2014, 4:15 PM EST
He’s been dealing with a back injury.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)