Jan 4, 2013, 12:54 PM EDT
Switzerland’s National League “A” has fined defenseman Clarence Kparghai 900 Swiss francs — approximately $1000 USD — for biting New York Islanders forward John Tavares.
IIHF communications manager Szymon Szemberg passes along word of the punishment, explaining the incident occurred on Dec. 22 in a game between Kparghai’s Biel team and SC Bern, Tavares’ club during the lockout.
Here’s an enthralling Google translation of what transpired:
Based on the collected evidence – the brief reports of Canton Doctor of Canton train and specialist in forensic medicine FMH and the finding of John Tavares examining physician – and the statements of the parties involved at the confrontation interrogation considered the single judge it as proven that actually John Tavares of Clarence Kparghai has been bitten…
…His conduct violated a general principle of law. Note to be, not in the sense that even the IIHF Rule 527 there was an injury dangerous in football technical sense, however. Simple assault under Article 123 of the Criminal Code in the form of a bite Bieler was in favor of the defender to be considered in mitigation of punishment that John Tavares his opponent “in a headlock” and took that in Clarence Kparghai was therefore in a self-defense situation.
Tavares, who recently captured gold with Team Canada at the Spengler Cup, is now back playing in the Swiss league, no doubt thrilled the market value for chomping him has been set at a thousand bucks.
- On carrying three goalies, and which teams might be forced to do it 0
- Bettman: NHL won’t expand ‘just to fulfill somebody’s notion of symmetry 7
- Report: Johansen lowers demands, but not low enough 31
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 8
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 43
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 16
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 19
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)