Jan 4, 2013, 9:03 PM EDT
New Capitals coach Adam Oates doesn’t make any guarantees, yet he provided positive feedback about duo’s work during the lockout to CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley.
“Obviously, they’re going to be in game shape, so that has to be a good thing,” Oates said. “I don’t think there’s any perfect formula, but the fact both of those guys have been playing is good.”
Gormley reminds us that Holtby is considered the team’s No. 1 netminder going into next season.
Both are playing well enough to encourage optimism, however. Despite mediocre win-loss records, Holtby (.932 save percentage in the AHL) and Neuvirth (.927 save percentage in KHL) are looking sharp outside the NHL.
Will that translate to strong play in a potential abbreviated season? That’s unclear, but they’ll hit the ground running while many older goalies will experience a crash course to get ready.
(Many veterans struggled to find short-term work because there are fewer open netminder spots overseas than other positions and the AHL isn’t always an option.)
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 11
- Report: Fedorov denies contract offer was made to Johansen 7
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 36
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 14
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)
- Just how damaging are heated negotiations between Jackets, RFA Johansen? (38)