Jan 4, 2013, 9:03 PM EST
New Capitals coach Adam Oates doesn’t make any guarantees, yet he provided positive feedback about duo’s work during the lockout to CSNWashington.com’s Chuck Gormley.
“Obviously, they’re going to be in game shape, so that has to be a good thing,” Oates said. “I don’t think there’s any perfect formula, but the fact both of those guys have been playing is good.”
Gormley reminds us that Holtby is considered the team’s No. 1 netminder going into next season.
Both are playing well enough to encourage optimism, however. Despite mediocre win-loss records, Holtby (.932 save percentage in the AHL) and Neuvirth (.927 save percentage in KHL) are looking sharp outside the NHL.
Will that translate to strong play in a potential abbreviated season? That’s unclear, but they’ll hit the ground running while many older goalies will experience a crash course to get ready.
(Many veterans struggled to find short-term work because there are fewer open netminder spots overseas than other positions and the AHL isn’t always an option.)
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 9
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 13
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 31
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 65
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 82
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Chiarelli understands scrutiny on GM and coach, but says, ‘It’s unfortunate that we’re under review for one year’ (69)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)