Jan 4, 2013, 6:46 PM EDT
The NHLPA already has the necessary votes to file a disclaimer of interest if the union chooses, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos. Kypreos reports that they haven’t set an “internal date” to make a move as of this time, though.
Time will tell if the measure is merely a threat/tactic or if things will get ugly and tumultuous by going to court.
At the moment, it sounds like the two sides won’t meet face-to-face on Friday.
Instead, a mediator has been bouncing between the two sides with frequency. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun believes that a day of mediation isn’t necessarily a lost day – and he even gives us some vague hope:
Am told both sides have told mediator they've got a bit of room to move on open issues—
Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) January 04, 2013
That’s at least more pleasant to think about than this disclaimer of interest tedium, right?
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 17
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 9
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 9
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 5
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 18
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 25
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 18
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 54