Jan 4, 2013, 6:46 PM EDT
The NHLPA already has the necessary votes to file a disclaimer of interest if the union chooses, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos. Kypreos reports that they haven’t set an “internal date” to make a move as of this time, though.
Time will tell if the measure is merely a threat/tactic or if things will get ugly and tumultuous by going to court.
At the moment, it sounds like the two sides won’t meet face-to-face on Friday.
Instead, a mediator has been bouncing between the two sides with frequency. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun believes that a day of mediation isn’t necessarily a lost day – and he even gives us some vague hope:
Am told both sides have told mediator they've got a bit of room to move on open issues—
Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) January 04, 2013
That’s at least more pleasant to think about than this disclaimer of interest tedium, right?
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 0
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 6
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 49
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 21
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Live Extra: Watch NHL Live postgame show
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner