Jan 4, 2013, 6:46 PM EST
The NHLPA already has the necessary votes to file a disclaimer of interest if the union chooses, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos. Kypreos reports that they haven’t set an “internal date” to make a move as of this time, though.
Time will tell if the measure is merely a threat/tactic or if things will get ugly and tumultuous by going to court.
At the moment, it sounds like the two sides won’t meet face-to-face on Friday.
Instead, a mediator has been bouncing between the two sides with frequency. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun believes that a day of mediation isn’t necessarily a lost day – and he even gives us some vague hope:
Am told both sides have told mediator they've got a bit of room to move on open issues—
Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) January 04, 2013
That’s at least more pleasant to think about than this disclaimer of interest tedium, right?
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 13
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 3
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 19
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 52
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 57
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 89
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 10
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 60
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (60)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (57)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)