Jan 4, 2013, 3:23 PM EST
Chris Phillips is blaming the NHL’s “dirty tricks” on the current state of negotiations between the league and NHLPA.
Phillips, the Senators’ player rep, is specifically upset with what he believes was an attempt by the NHL to sneak past changes to the part of the CBA that covers the reporting (or misreporting, as the case may be) of hockey-related revenue.
“Basically, they changed the definition, where there would be no accountability in terms of HRR accounting,” Phillips told the Ottawa Sun Friday. “So they could basically give us whatever number they wanted to.
“It’s great that we’re at 50-50 now, but 50-50 of what? That’s just ridiculous. We’re trying to get a deal done, and negotiate in good faith and they pull garbage like that. That’s not going to get anything done.”
The NHL denied any wrongdoing, and the issue has since been resolved. But clearly the players are still angry.
Frankly, if this latest dust-up weren’t so sad, it would be downright hilarious. Think about it: we’ve gotten to the point where the players are accusing the owners of duplicity on the issue of punishing owners for being duplicitous.
Couldn’t make it up.
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 0
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 21
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 8
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 15
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans': Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 99
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans': Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)