Jan 4, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT
One way or another, it’s going to be difficult to blame the work stoppage on the mediation process – or at least mediator Scot Beckenbaugh.
Beckenbaugh became something of a folk hero on Twitter Friday, braving the weather to travel back and forth between NHL and NHLPA execs for about 12 hours (according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie). Multiple outlets report that those sessions are done for the day, but they’re likely to start them up again Saturday morning around 10:30 a.m. ET.
The New York Daily News’ Pat Leonard reports that neither side will release a statement. Many observers believe that the most promising negotiating moments come when there is media silence, so feel free to take that as a good sign.
(TSN’s Darren Dreger didn’t paint a pretty picture earlier on Friday, however.)
Again, to some, the mediator’s diligent work was the story on a detail-sparse Friday.
Beckenbaugh (pictured to the right of another noteworthy mediator, George H. Cohen) helped end the notorious NFL referees strike and – just to temper your expectations a touch – was also involved in mediation before the last NHL lockout.
Not that anyone would reasonably blame the guy after hearing tales of his hard work, mind you.
- Video: Flyers trounce slumping Penguins on Rivalry Night 29
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 5
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 15
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 36
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)