Jan 4, 2013, 11:05 PM EDT
One way or another, it’s going to be difficult to blame the work stoppage on the mediation process – or at least mediator Scot Beckenbaugh.
Beckenbaugh became something of a folk hero on Twitter Friday, braving the weather to travel back and forth between NHL and NHLPA execs for about 12 hours (according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie). Multiple outlets report that those sessions are done for the day, but they’re likely to start them up again Saturday morning around 10:30 a.m. ET.
The New York Daily News’ Pat Leonard reports that neither side will release a statement. Many observers believe that the most promising negotiating moments come when there is media silence, so feel free to take that as a good sign.
(TSN’s Darren Dreger didn’t paint a pretty picture earlier on Friday, however.)
Again, to some, the mediator’s diligent work was the story on a detail-sparse Friday.
Beckenbaugh (pictured to the right of another noteworthy mediator, George H. Cohen) helped end the notorious NFL referees strike and – just to temper your expectations a touch – was also involved in mediation before the last NHL lockout.
Not that anyone would reasonably blame the guy after hearing tales of his hard work, mind you.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)