Jan 4, 2013, 10:04 AM EDT
The IIHF has announced that New York Islanders prospect Griffin Reinhart will be ineligible to play for Team Canada in the upcoming Bronze Medal Game and three additional matches after high-sticking America’s Vince Trocheck during the semifinals on Thursday.
The incident occurred after Trocheck and Reinhart became tangled up while fighting for the puck. While on his knees, Reinhart hit Trocheck in the head and neck area with his stick, which caused Trocheck to fall. Reinhart received a two-minute minor for high-sticking while Trocheck didn’t appear to sustain an injury.
The IIHF’s Disciplinary Panel determined that “the action was dangerous to the safety of Trocheck and was avoidable,” but Hockey Canada senior director of hockey operations Scott Salmond strongly disagrees with that assessment.
“Surprised, shocked,” Salmond said in a Toronto Sun report. “I was in the hearing today with Griffin. I read the referees’ report. Griffin stated his case and said all along it was an accident.
“I believe it was an accident. The four officials on the ice believe it was an accident. No question in my mind we will appeal.
“I never questioned the officiating. I thought it was a good call on the ice. I thought they did their due diligence, talked about the play, and today that was overruled to the point of a four-game suspension.”
An appeal would take place in mid-January, so Reinhart still won’t play for the bronze medal.
“As I was tripping, I lost balance and my stick rode up his stick,” Reinhart said. “Completely accidental. A four-game suspension is a shock but there is nothing I can do about it now.”
Canada will face Russia on Saturday with the bronze medal on the line. After the conclusion of that contest, Team USA and Sweden will compete for the gold medal.
I'm not a dirty player. I have a clean record and not that type of person that would intentionally hurt somebody on not off the ice—
Griffin Reinhart (@GriffinReinhart) January 04, 2013
Mar 27, 2015, 2:05 PM EDT
26-15-5 in their last 46 games.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Washington sophomore now $2,000 lighter in the pocket.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:36 PM EDT
Vancouver laid another egg last night versus the Avs.
Mar 27, 2015, 12:29 PM EDT
Because things aren’t trending in a good direction for him.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:59 AM EDT
Three straight road wins has the Kings looking postseason-bound.
Mar 27, 2015, 11:12 AM EDT
“We’re on the course that we set two months ago when we made the decision that Ells was going to be the guy, and we’re not changing that course.”
Mar 27, 2015, 10:55 AM EDT
Red Wings host the Sharks tomorrow.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:49 AM EDT
Russian sophomore has missed nearly the entire season with a hip ailment.
Mar 27, 2015, 10:15 AM EDT
He’s been assigned to Hershey on a conditioning assignment.
Mar 27, 2015, 9:50 AM EDT
Changes to the bylaws allow the Philly defenseman to be inducted.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:50 AM EDT
The group is nearing its goal of securing 10,000 season ticket deposits.
Mar 27, 2015, 8:00 AM EDT
Friday’s collection of links.
Mar 26, 2015, 11:30 PM EDT
Winnipeg grabbed a big win today, too.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:16 PM EDT
A tough win turned into a bitter OT loss.
Mar 26, 2015, 10:13 PM EDT
Will anyone else join them tonight?
Mar 26, 2015, 9:48 PM EDT
The real winners might be the Edmonton Oilers.
Mar 26, 2015, 9:12 PM EDT
Not a great night for Ottawa.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Update your save of the year highlight packages.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:48 PM EDT
He seems OK after that tough, 2-on-1 check.
Mar 26, 2015, 8:41 PM EDT
Three goals allowed in 20 minutes by Detroit’s embattled starter.
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 14
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 26
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 13
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 49
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 20
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 28
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 11
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (49)