Jan 4, 2013, 12:28 PM EDT
Lockout sufferers, have no fear — the Globetrotters are here.
On Monday, the Harlem-based traveling troupe will attempt to fill the void of the NHL lockout by playing a basketball game.
Yes, this is happening.
Here’s more, from the Globetrotters website:
The Globetrotters will strap on custom “ice cleats” and hockey helmets to play the Global Select on The Ice Rink at Millennium Park in Portage, Mich., on Monday, Jan. 7 at 12:00 p.m.
The ice game will take place on the Globetrotters’ most historic anniversary – celebrating the team’s first ever road game in Hinckley, Ill. on Jan. 7, 1927. Since that time, the team has won over 24,000 games and lost only 345.
Detroit Red Wings Alumnus Kevin Miller will join the Globetrotters to help them continue their winning ways. Miller brings over a decade of NHL experience to the Globetrotters basketball game on ice, which will take place shortly after the NHL’s cancelled “Winter Classic” was scheduled in Michigan on New Year’s Day.
“We hope the NHL can return to the ice as quickly as possible,” said Globetrotters CEO Kurt Schneider. “But in the meantime, we thought the Globetrotters could help fill the void of professional sporting events on an ice surface. And it’s only fitting we play this outdoor game in Michigan, as our tour continues in Kalamazoo the next day.”
The Globetrotters have played on ice before, so at least they’ve got experience:
If nothing else, the game will provide an opportunity for Paul “Tiny” Sturgess — at 7-foot-8, the tallest Globetrotter ever — to get out there on his size-22 ice cleats.
Which should be…something.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 6
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 22
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 90
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 81
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 0
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 17
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (90)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (81)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)