Jan 4, 2013, 2:45 PM EDT
If the NHL season does start on Jan. 19, Adam Henrique won’t be ready for it.
That’s the news out of New Jersey on Thursday as NorthJersey.com reports Henrique’s surgically repaired left thumb will require 3.5-4 weeks of rehab before he’s fit to play.
A finalist for last year’s Calder Trophy as the league’s top rookie, Henrique tore his ulnar collateral ligament while playing for AHL Albany in late November. He had his cast removed this week, but will need time to strengthen the hand.
Devils GM Lou Lamoriello said Henrique’s healing process has gone well thus far.
It’ll be interesting to see how rehab goes for Henrique, especially in light of what happened to Devils’ teammate Jacob Josefson two years ago.
Josefson suffered the same thumb injury and proceeded to miss nearly three months — 30 games in total — before returning to the New Jersey lineup.
- Report: Canucks fire head coach Vigneault, assistants Bowness and Brown 0
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? 54
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 33
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 29
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 55
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 14
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 95
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 30
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (90)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Tiger calls Sergio's comments inappropriate, hurtful
- Bears great Urlacher announces retirement
- Posnanski on Golf: Sergio shows disdain for Tiger
- OlyTalk: Coach K will lead Team USA in Rio Games
- PFT: Crabtree reportedly tears achilles, out for year
- HBT: Soriano calls out Harper after blown save
- PHT: Sharks take Game 4, pull even with Kings