Jan 3, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Russian players frequently find themselves being labeled “enigmatic” even if they do their best with the press, but look out if they have a frostier relationship with the media.
Edmonton Oilers prospect Nail Yakupov didn’t grant interviews after Russian advanced to the World Junior Championships semifinal round thanks to a 4-3 shootout win against Switzerland on Wednesday.
The top pick of the 2012 NHL Draft likely chose to avoid microphones because of the uproar over his comments about Team Canada being “dirty,” but that didn’t stop many journalists from slamming him for his Q & A aversion.
The Edmonton Journal’s David Staples collects the highlights, which include:
- Vancouver Sun columnist Cam Cole validating his “prima donna” assumption.
- The Journal’s Jim Matheson claiming that the “kid needs a wake-up call.”
- The Edmonton Sun’s Terry Jones thinks Yakupov is “making people wonder on and off the ice.”
Staples also notes that there was fallout to the fallout, with some claiming that xenophobia was involved and others saying they’ll just worry about his on-ice results.
To the MSM types bashing Yakupov - I'd love to see your 18-year-old selves try speaking to a foreign journalist in a foreign language.—
Michael Parkatti (@mparkatti) January 02, 2013
- Wild’s Dubnyk shakes off six-goal night, saves 36 as Blues pushed to brink 9
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 4
- Malkin: ‘I want to say sorry to fans, to my teammates’ 20
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime 91
- Sens’ Anderson continues to haunt Habs, forces Game 6 10
- Price, Dubnyk, Rinne are Vezina Trophy finalists 16
- Chicago to start Darling in Game 6 17
- Chiarelli named Oilers’ GM and president of hockey ops 35
- Weber out for remainder of series, but ‘did not suffer an ACL injury’ 6
- Report: Oilers’ Lowe removed from Hockey Ops role 19
- Of course they did: Oilers win 2015 NHL Draft Lottery, will select first overall (174)
- Too little, too late: Rangers stifle Penguins for 2-1 series lead (114)
- Eichel understands Murray’s disappointment, but ‘extreme competitor’ has ‘a lot to offer’ (98)
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (93)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (89)