Jan 3, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
Russian players frequently find themselves being labeled “enigmatic” even if they do their best with the press, but look out if they have a frostier relationship with the media.
Edmonton Oilers prospect Nail Yakupov didn’t grant interviews after Russian advanced to the World Junior Championships semifinal round thanks to a 4-3 shootout win against Switzerland on Wednesday.
The top pick of the 2012 NHL Draft likely chose to avoid microphones because of the uproar over his comments about Team Canada being “dirty,” but that didn’t stop many journalists from slamming him for his Q & A aversion.
The Edmonton Journal’s David Staples collects the highlights, which include:
- Vancouver Sun columnist Cam Cole validating his “prima donna” assumption.
- The Journal’s Jim Matheson claiming that the “kid needs a wake-up call.”
- The Edmonton Sun’s Terry Jones thinks Yakupov is “making people wonder on and off the ice.”
Staples also notes that there was fallout to the fallout, with some claiming that xenophobia was involved and others saying they’ll just worry about his on-ice results.
To the MSM types bashing Yakupov - I'd love to see your 18-year-old selves try speaking to a foreign journalist in a foreign language.—
Michael Parkatti (@mparkatti) January 02, 2013
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 5
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 14
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 8
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 59
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- HBT: Granderson breaks pinky in Yanks' win
- PST: Bitter rivals Bayern, Dortmund collide in CL final
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination