Jan 3, 2013, 9:10 AM EDT
For what was set up to be another memorable World Juniors rematch between Team USA and Team Canada, it wound up being a laugher Thursday in Ufa, Russia.
Team USA jumped out to a quick 2-0 lead after the first period thanks to captain Jake McCabe and ran away up 4-0 after two on their way to a 5-1 win over Canada to earn a spot in Saturday’s gold-medal game of the World Junior Championships.
McCabe, a defenseman from the University of Wisconsin, seemingly took his role as team captain seriously getting the Americans out in front to stay, and it was Boston College’s Johnny Gaudreau scoring twice while Harvard’s Jimmy Vesey added another to lead the offense.
Team USA was able to chase Canadian starting goalie Malcolm Subban from the game after he allowed four goals on 16 shots. Backup Jordan Binnington would do well in relief stopping 25 out of 26, giving up only a third period goal to Gaudreau. Meanwhile, Kitchener Rangers star goalie John Gibson played a memorable third period to make it all stand up for the U.S.
With their backs against the wall, Canada brought everything they had in the final period pouring 16 shots on goal. The only one to slip past Gibson was a shorthanded goal from Ty Rattie, but it would be the only blemish on Gibson’s day as Team USA got a bit of payback after losing to Canada in the opening round of the tournament.
Team USA will face Sweden in Saturday’s gold-medal game. The Swedes beat host Russia, 3-2 in a shootout, in the other semifinal.
Meanwhile, Canada will face Russia for bronze.
Sep 20, 2014, 4:08 PM EDT
Tough timing for him as he had been playing alongside fellow countryman David Krejci.
Sep 20, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
Optimistic about sticking with the big club out of camp.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:30 PM EDT
Listed as day-to-day.
Sep 20, 2014, 2:13 PM EDT
Expected to miss a couple days according to Randy Carlyle.
Sep 20, 2014, 1:39 PM EDT
Discussions regarding deal are on-going.
Sep 20, 2014, 12:31 PM EDT
Experimentation process has begun as team looks for secondary scoring.
Sep 20, 2014, 11:47 AM EDT
Stars searching for a suitable No. 2 behind Kari Lehtonen.
Sep 20, 2014, 10:51 AM EDT
After playing in just 16 games in 2013-14, he’s looking to be a contributor this season.
Sep 20, 2014, 9:46 AM EDT
Undrafted defenseman looking to make an impression at camp.
Sep 19, 2014, 11:01 PM EDT
The Winnipeg Jets would settle for far less after he scored just 19 last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 10:03 PM EDT
The last thing he wants is to suffer a setback by rushing his recovery.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:37 PM EDT
That’s not the only summer statement he took exception to.
Sep 19, 2014, 9:04 PM EDT
Bob Suter was a defenseman on the “Miracle on Ice” team.
Sep 19, 2014, 8:02 PM EDT
That usually doesn’t end well, but this might be an exception.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:59 PM EDT
He suffered three concussions in under a year.
Sep 19, 2014, 6:00 PM EDT
It’s part of the reason why the defenseman is playing for Washington.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:58 PM EDT
He suffered a concussion last season.
Sep 19, 2014, 4:17 PM EDT
Greg Sherman stayed on as his assistant.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:33 PM EDT
He’s not the only member of the Ducks that’s hurting.
Sep 19, 2014, 3:00 PM EDT
Held out of Kings’ on-ice activities on Friday.
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 0
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 0
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 11
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 16
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Keeping Kuemper: Wild sign goalie to two-year deal reportedly worth $2.5M 15
- Selanne regrets harsh words toward Boudreau 10
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)