Jan 3, 2013, 11:00 PM EST
A couple days ago, the NHLPA reportedly agreed to the NHL’s demand that the next CBA would last 10 years. Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean they can scratch that off of the “things to negotiate” list, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Just because they both have settled on a 10-year deal doesn’t necessarily mean that we’ll get a decade-long break from any possible work stoppage.
There’s still a chance that either side will opt-out of the agreement, but when and how are sticking points. The players want the option to opt-out after seven campaigns, while the NHL thinks it should be eight. Additionally, the NHL wants to require that any party wishing to opt-out must notify the other following Year 6.
The NHL would also like the CBA to expire on June 30 while the players want to keep the date at Sept. 15. A June 30 expiration date would prevent the NHL from going on a spending spree just prior to any potential work stoppage, as was the case last summer.
Of course, the league and union still have quite a bit to talk about beyond just the CBA length. ESPN and TSN’s Pierre LeBrun estimated that 7-8 issues remain unresolved.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:45 AM EST
Vancouver has now been shutout in back-to-back home games.
Jan 28, 2015, 1:00 AM EST
Pittsburgh was without Crosby and Malkin.
Jan 28, 2015, 12:15 AM EST
He’s going to need some dental work.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:45 PM EST
Philly erased an early 2-0 deficit to earn two points.
Jan 27, 2015, 11:15 PM EST
Carolina is now 7-1-2 in January.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:45 PM EST
Both players are unrestricted free agents after this season.
Jan 27, 2015, 10:15 PM EST
Okposo missed his first game due to an upper body injury.
Jan 27, 2015, 9:30 PM EST
Received a major penalty and a game misconduct for boarding.
Jan 27, 2015, 9:00 PM EST
Happened during the first period tonight in Philly.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:30 PM EST
The 19-year-old underwent hip surgery in November.
Jan 27, 2015, 8:05 PM EST
The Philly starter allowed two goals on the first four shots.
Jan 27, 2015, 7:35 PM EST
Jim Benning was “exploring” a trade for the goaltender.
Jan 27, 2015, 7:00 PM EST
Appeared in 1,260 games.
Jan 27, 2015, 6:30 PM EST
Tampa has won both meetings between the two clubs this season.
Jan 27, 2015, 5:41 PM EST
7:30 p.m. ET, from PNC Arena, on NBCSN.
Jan 27, 2015, 5:06 PM EST
“There’s a potential even to bring him to Arizona for at least a cup of coffee at the end of the year.”
Jan 27, 2015, 4:26 PM EST
For the old barn in Anaheim.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:33 PM EST
He’ll play on the top line with John Tavares and Josh Bailey against the Rangers.
Jan 27, 2015, 3:11 PM EST
Kick off six straight games at Rogers Arena tonight versus Anaheim.
Goalie nods: Greiss starts for Pens, which has nothing to do with Fleury getting lit up at the All-Star Game
Jan 27, 2015, 2:27 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
- Trade: Pens acquire Lapierre from Blues for Goc 39
- Video: Habs’ Emelin ejected for hit on Stars’ Spezza 7
- Martin Brodeur to retire, become Blues asst. GM (Updated) 41
- Mike Richards clears waivers 32
- Game on: Islanders-Rangers to be played despite storm 15
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang 56
- Isles’ rise to be tested as they lose Okposo for 6-8 weeks 16
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards 123
- Bobrovsky out 4-6 weeks, Jackets recall goalie Forsberg 3
- Blue Jackets proud as Columbus shows it’s a hockey town 24
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- L.A. Sorry? Kings waive Mike Richards (123)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)
- Video: NHL offers Flyers’ Rinaldo in-person hearing (57)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo suspended eight games for his hit on Letang (56)