Jan 3, 2013, 11:00 PM EDT
A couple days ago, the NHLPA reportedly agreed to the NHL’s demand that the next CBA would last 10 years. Unfortunately, that doesn’t mean they can scratch that off of the “things to negotiate” list, according to CBC’s Elliotte Friedman.
Just because they both have settled on a 10-year deal doesn’t necessarily mean that we’ll get a decade-long break from any possible work stoppage.
There’s still a chance that either side will opt-out of the agreement, but when and how are sticking points. The players want the option to opt-out after seven campaigns, while the NHL thinks it should be eight. Additionally, the NHL wants to require that any party wishing to opt-out must notify the other following Year 6.
The NHL would also like the CBA to expire on June 30 while the players want to keep the date at Sept. 15. A June 30 expiration date would prevent the NHL from going on a spending spree just prior to any potential work stoppage, as was the case last summer.
Of course, the league and union still have quite a bit to talk about beyond just the CBA length. ESPN and TSN’s Pierre LeBrun estimated that 7-8 issues remain unresolved.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:05 AM EDT
It’s the first NHL game on NBCSN to surpass 4 million viewers.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
They beat the Syracuse Crunch in six games.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
“It’s going to be a strong, solid franchise just like Winnipeg is now.”
Jun 18, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
Things are getting dramatic in Philadelphia.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
His annual cap hit is a hefty $7,727,273.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Coburn might be heading the other way.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
He also loves 2013 NHL Draft prospect Darnell Nurse.
Jun 18, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
The coach already had him picked as Plan B if Marian Hossa couldn’t play.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Blackhawks coach knows his team has to improve in those areas.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Stemming from his arrest in 2011.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
“I’ve got a nice little scratch mark on my forehead from the claw marks.”
Jun 18, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
23-year-old defenseman had six goals in the playoffs.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:13 PM EDT
26-year-old made his NHL debut last season.
Jun 18, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
But will they stay?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
Could an NHL team one day call it home?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
As per TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
He’s still “day-to-day” with his injury.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
He’s been given permission to seek employment elsewhere.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
“We don’t care about calling certain guys superstars on our team,” said the coach.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Hey, he did take two weeks off.
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 22
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 46
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 78
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 11
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Patriots' Hernandez questioned in murder investigation
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut
- Lolo Jones' attempt at humor backfires