Jan 3, 2013, 1:24 PM EDT
The NHLPA’s executive board may soon regain its authority to file a disclaimer of interest that would dissolve the union and push CBA negotiations with the NHL into uncharted waters.
According to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos, players are being told to re-vote on the issue “as early as today.” The board’s authority expired yesterday at midnight.
With limited information emerging from this week’s negotiations, it’s hard to say what this news means. It could be the union fully intends to dissolve. Or, it could be the players simply want to ramp up pressure on the owners in order to get a deal done before uncharted waters are entered.
Today’s talks were met largely with optimism that an end to the lockout was approaching. Though hope has quickly turned to despair before during the work stoppage, one league source told CSNPhilly.com that “a couple owners are cautiously optimistic.”
Remaining issues include next year’s salary cap, maximum contract lengths, and matters relating to player pensions.
Update (4:24 p.m. ET):
Players will start voting on the disclaimer starting at 6pm tonight. Vote will end in 48 hours.—
Renaud Lavoie (@RenLavoieRDS) January 03, 2013
So at the very least, it sounds like the NHLPA won’t be able to file a disclaimer of interest for a couple of days.
Of course, even if the NHLPA does end up dissolving the union, it doesn’t mean all hope is lost, as the two sides could continue to negotiate (albeit without Donald Fehr representing the players).
Jun 19, 2013, 9:51 AM EDT
Both were scheduled to become restricted free agents this summer.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:11 AM EDT
Ken Cruise showed off his work at Game 3.
Jun 19, 2013, 9:04 AM EDT
Boston has a 2-1 series lead.
Jun 19, 2013, 8:03 AM EDT
Looks like Seth Jones might not be the number one selection.
Jun 19, 2013, 7:14 AM EDT
Wednesday’s collection of links.
Jun 19, 2013, 12:05 AM EDT
It’s the first NHL game on NBCSN to surpass 4 million viewers.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:50 PM EDT
They beat the Syracuse Crunch in six games.
Jun 18, 2013, 10:23 PM EDT
“It’s going to be a strong, solid franchise just like Winnipeg is now.”
Jun 18, 2013, 9:27 PM EDT
Things are getting dramatic in Philadelphia.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
His annual cap hit is a hefty $7,727,273.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Coburn might be heading the other way.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
He also loves 2013 NHL Draft prospect Darnell Nurse.
Jun 18, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
The coach already had him picked as Plan B if Marian Hossa couldn’t play.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Blackhawks coach knows his team has to improve in those areas.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Stemming from his arrest in 2011.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
“I’ve got a nice little scratch mark on my forehead from the claw marks.”
Jun 18, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
23-year-old defenseman had six goals in the playoffs.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:13 PM EDT
26-year-old made his NHL debut last season.
Jun 18, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
But will they stay?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
Could an NHL team one day call it home?
- Playoffs Tonight: Can ‘Hawks solve Rask? 4
- Sakic: If we keep top pick, we’ll likely draft a forward 5
- Report: Flyers will buy out Briere, Bryzgalov another story (Updated) 30
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 52
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 82
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 9
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 12
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 47
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Heat rally to beat Spurs in Game 6
- PBT: After blowing lead, can Spurs rebound in Game 7?
- PST: On-fire Altidore lifts USA over Honduras in WCQ
- CSN: Pats' Hernandez questioned in murder case
- Underseeded? Nadal draws No. 5 at Wimbledon
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- HBT: Mets' Wheeler goes six scoreless in MLB debut