Jan 3, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
The league and a small group of players have restarted today’s CBA negotiations, according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie. The chosen topic is believed to be player pensions.
After several days of the two sides exchanging offers and making significant progress, the negotiations seem to have slowed today.
Instead, the biggest story has been the union’s decision to hold a new vote to give the executive board the power to file a disclaimer of interest after the union chose not to act before the previous deadline.
That news shouldn’t be taken as an indication of how the talks are going as it might simply be a sign that the NHLPA wants to keep all its options opened.
In addition to pensions, there’s still several major issues still on the table like the length of player contracts and the salary cap for 2013-14. ESPN and TSN’s Pierre LeBrun estimated that 7-8 issues remain unresolved.
If the union and NHL can’t reach an agreement in the next week or so, then the season might be lost.
Update: Talks ended after roughly two hours. Chicago Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers isn’t sure if there will be any additional negotiations tonight, according to Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes. It’s not clear if any progress was made.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 29
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)