Jan 3, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
The league and a small group of players have restarted today’s CBA negotiations, according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie. The chosen topic is believed to be player pensions.
After several days of the two sides exchanging offers and making significant progress, the negotiations seem to have slowed today.
Instead, the biggest story has been the union’s decision to hold a new vote to give the executive board the power to file a disclaimer of interest after the union chose not to act before the previous deadline.
That news shouldn’t be taken as an indication of how the talks are going as it might simply be a sign that the NHLPA wants to keep all its options opened.
In addition to pensions, there’s still several major issues still on the table like the length of player contracts and the salary cap for 2013-14. ESPN and TSN’s Pierre LeBrun estimated that 7-8 issues remain unresolved.
If the union and NHL can’t reach an agreement in the next week or so, then the season might be lost.
Update: Talks ended after roughly two hours. Chicago Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers isn’t sure if there will be any additional negotiations tonight, according to Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes. It’s not clear if any progress was made.
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 3
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 8
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 8
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 2
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 33
- Report: Kings’ Stoll may have head, shoulder injuries 15
- Rangers’ goaltending a concern? ‘We know what Henrik is,’ says Tortorella 24
- Discuss: Bruins find scoring touch in Game 2 win over Rangers 42
- Playoffs tonight: Spezza’s Game 3 return, Bruins-Rangers highlight your Sunday 5
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call 64
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (94)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Parker carves up Grizzlies as Spurs roll in Gm. 1
- PHT: Senators sneak past Penguins in two overtimes
- PHT: Bruins crack Lundqvist, hammer Rangers
- HBT: Cabrera rips three homers, passes Greenberg
- MST: No bumping on Bump Day at Indy 500
- PBT: Spurs have too much offense for Grizz in Gm. 1
- PST: Arsenal grabs Champions League spot