Jan 3, 2013, 6:35 PM EDT
The league and a small group of players have restarted today’s CBA negotiations, according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie. The chosen topic is believed to be player pensions.
After several days of the two sides exchanging offers and making significant progress, the negotiations seem to have slowed today.
Instead, the biggest story has been the union’s decision to hold a new vote to give the executive board the power to file a disclaimer of interest after the union chose not to act before the previous deadline.
That news shouldn’t be taken as an indication of how the talks are going as it might simply be a sign that the NHLPA wants to keep all its options opened.
In addition to pensions, there’s still several major issues still on the table like the length of player contracts and the salary cap for 2013-14. ESPN and TSN’s Pierre LeBrun estimated that 7-8 issues remain unresolved.
If the union and NHL can’t reach an agreement in the next week or so, then the season might be lost.
Update: Talks ended after roughly two hours. Chicago Blackhawks forward Jamal Mayers isn’t sure if there will be any additional negotiations tonight, according to Sportsnet’s Ian Mendes. It’s not clear if any progress was made.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 7
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 31
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 94
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 82
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 18
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (96)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (83)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)