Jan 3, 2013, 9:34 PM EDT
Thursday began with hope and ended without a whole lot of obvious progress. The good news is that the mediation process is expected resume at 10 a.m. ET on Friday, according to the Bergen Record.
Initially, the two sides are expected to remain in separate locations while communicating with federal mediator Scot Beckenbaugh. That might eventually lead to full-scale negotiations, but nothing is set in stone.
A small group of players did meet with the league tonight to discuss player pensions, but there weren’t any major negotiating sessions Thursday.
Unfortunately, the two biggest stories of the day were probably the NHLPA’s decision to hold a new vote on the disclaimer of interest issue and the union’s response to the NHL’s class action complaint.
That kind of news might discourage many hockey fans, but it shouldn’t be taken as a sign that all hope is lost. Neither move rules out the possibly of a 2013 season and they don’t necessarily reflect the NHLPA’s opinion of the current talks.
We’ll have to wait and see, but one way or another, we will probably know the fate of the season in the near future.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 5
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 46
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)