Jan 3, 2013, 9:34 PM EST
Thursday began with hope and ended without a whole lot of obvious progress. The good news is that the mediation process is expected resume at 10 a.m. ET on Friday, according to the Bergen Record.
Initially, the two sides are expected to remain in separate locations while communicating with federal mediator Scot Beckenbaugh. That might eventually lead to full-scale negotiations, but nothing is set in stone.
A small group of players did meet with the league tonight to discuss player pensions, but there weren’t any major negotiating sessions Thursday.
Unfortunately, the two biggest stories of the day were probably the NHLPA’s decision to hold a new vote on the disclaimer of interest issue and the union’s response to the NHL’s class action complaint.
That kind of news might discourage many hockey fans, but it shouldn’t be taken as a sign that all hope is lost. Neither move rules out the possibly of a 2013 season and they don’t necessarily reflect the NHLPA’s opinion of the current talks.
We’ll have to wait and see, but one way or another, we will probably know the fate of the season in the near future.
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 0
- Breaking: Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 13
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 17
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (68)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)