Jan 3, 2013, 1:37 AM EDT
After more than four hours of late-night negotiating, the NHL and NHLPA ended Wednesday’s discussions without a new CBA. On the bright side, Gary Bettman told multiple reporters that the previously undocumented mediation will resume Thursday at 10 a.m. ET.
Overall, the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman summarizes the Bettman’s and Donald Fehr’s thoughts as such: there was progress made, but a gap still remains.
Disclaimer of interest update
Bettman told the Canadian Press’ Chris Johnston that the league was “not notified” about a disclaimer of interest. Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos indicates that the union would require a re-vote to start the process of filing again.
It was a bit of an eyebrow-raiser that mediation was involved on Wednesday, but that’s not all: ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the sides have used a mediator all week long. Johnston reports that his name is Scot Beckenbaugh.
The two sides are still in “guarded” mode, which isn’t a bad sign.
Donald Fehr indicated that there’s been progress but there’s “still a ways to go,” while Johnston squeezed a little more out of Bettman:
Gary Bettman says the sides had "philosophical discussions" about why certain issues are important to each side.—
Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) January 03, 2013
The mediation session seems likely, yet Fehr told Johnston that the NHLPA will decide if it wants to participate in another meeting after assessing things on Thursday morning.
Overall, it seems like baby steps have been made. We’ll see if any serious progress happens this week or if the two sides need the immediacy of that Jan. 11 deadline for real action to happen.
Jun 18, 2013, 8:38 PM EDT
His annual cap hit is a hefty $7,727,273.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:40 PM EDT
Coburn might be heading the other way.
Jun 18, 2013, 7:10 PM EDT
He also loves 2013 NHL Draft prospect Darnell Nurse.
Jun 18, 2013, 6:15 PM EDT
The coach already had him picked as Plan B if Marian Hossa couldn’t play.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Blackhawks coach knows his team has to improve in those areas.
Jun 18, 2013, 5:30 PM EDT
Stemming from his arrest in 2011.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:47 PM EDT
“I’ve got a nice little scratch mark on my forehead from the claw marks.”
Jun 18, 2013, 4:42 PM EDT
23-year-old defenseman had six goals in the playoffs.
Jun 18, 2013, 4:13 PM EDT
26-year-old made his NHL debut last season.
Jun 18, 2013, 3:26 PM EDT
But will they stay?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:18 PM EDT
Could an NHL team one day call it home?
Jun 18, 2013, 3:07 PM EDT
As per TSN’s Bob McKenzie.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:49 PM EDT
He’s still “day-to-day” with his injury.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:18 PM EDT
He’s been given permission to seek employment elsewhere.
Jun 18, 2013, 2:16 PM EDT
“We don’t care about calling certain guys superstars on our team,” said the coach.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:38 PM EDT
Hey, he did take two weeks off.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:19 PM EDT
The Isles are one team that’s reportedly interested.
Jun 18, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
Former North Dakota standout was a 2009 Panthers draftee.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:56 PM EDT
The No. 2 overall pick at the 2013 NHL Entry Draft is ready to go.
Jun 18, 2013, 12:29 PM EDT
Former ‘Hawks assistant takes over the Caps’ minor-league team.
- Report: Flyers, Ducks talking about Bobby Ryan 10
- Marchand accuses ‘kitty cat’ Shaw of eye gouging 64
- Quenneville says Hossa is ‘likely’ to play Game 4 7
- Datsyuk announces three-year, $22.5 million extension with Red Wings 10
- Bruins go ‘above and beyond’ to take 2-1 series lead 46
- Chicago’s powerless power play — it’s a problem 4
- Discuss: Bruins smother ‘Hawks, take 2-1 series lead 92
- Marian Hossa won’t play in Game 3 11
- Report: Flyers, Streit agree to four-year, $21 million deal 39
- Playoffs Tonight: We’re tied going into Boston 9
- LIVE: Spurs-Heat, Game 6
- Can Heat focus enough to avoid elimination?
- CSN: Bruins' defense never rests in Game 3 win
- CSN: Celtics-Clippers KG, Rivers trade talks dead
- PFT: Freed Johnson wants second chance in NFL
- PBT: Judges rules Iverson did not kidnap children
- PFT: Rodgers says Packers' moves a 'wake-up call'