Jan 3, 2013, 1:37 AM EDT
After more than four hours of late-night negotiating, the NHL and NHLPA ended Wednesday’s discussions without a new CBA. On the bright side, Gary Bettman told multiple reporters that the previously undocumented mediation will resume Thursday at 10 a.m. ET.
Overall, the CBC’s Elliotte Friedman summarizes the Bettman’s and Donald Fehr’s thoughts as such: there was progress made, but a gap still remains.
Disclaimer of interest update
Bettman told the Canadian Press’ Chris Johnston that the league was “not notified” about a disclaimer of interest. Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos indicates that the union would require a re-vote to start the process of filing again.
It was a bit of an eyebrow-raiser that mediation was involved on Wednesday, but that’s not all: ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun reports that the sides have used a mediator all week long. Johnston reports that his name is Scot Beckenbaugh.
The two sides are still in “guarded” mode, which isn’t a bad sign.
Donald Fehr indicated that there’s been progress but there’s “still a ways to go,” while Johnston squeezed a little more out of Bettman:
Gary Bettman says the sides had "philosophical discussions" about why certain issues are important to each side.—
Chris Johnston (@reporterchris) January 03, 2013
The mediation session seems likely, yet Fehr told Johnston that the NHLPA will decide if it wants to participate in another meeting after assessing things on Thursday morning.
Overall, it seems like baby steps have been made. We’ll see if any serious progress happens this week or if the two sides need the immediacy of that Jan. 11 deadline for real action to happen.
May 24, 2015, 2:05 AM EDT
“Finally got a bounce.”
May 24, 2015, 12:52 AM EDT
Chicago wins another long overtime game.
May 24, 2015, 12:30 AM EDT
This series heads back to California, all even.
May 24, 2015, 12:08 AM EDT
Double overtime? Sure, why not?
May 23, 2015, 10:54 PM EDT
Chicago had the lead. Gave it up. Tied it up again.
May 23, 2015, 9:41 PM EDT
Trying to get under the opposition’s skin.
May 23, 2015, 9:18 PM EDT
Blackhawks and Ducks going at it.
May 23, 2015, 8:49 PM EDT
But emphasized the need to remain “professional.”
May 23, 2015, 8:04 PM EDT
The reaction to the big news continues to pour in.
May 23, 2015, 7:05 PM EDT
Anaheim can put Chicago on the brink of elimination.
May 23, 2015, 6:17 PM EDT
“I have a tremendous amount of respect for Claude.”
May 23, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
He suffered an undisclosed injury in Game 3.
May 23, 2015, 4:44 PM EDT
Oilers’ prospects Leon Draisaitl and Marc-Olivier Roy were among those who received 10-minute misconducts on Friday night.
May 23, 2015, 3:43 PM EDT
His teammate Vladimir Sobotka is likely staying in Russia.
May 23, 2015, 2:45 PM EDT
The Bolts’ starter has allowed five goals in each of his last two starts.
May 23, 2015, 1:45 PM EDT
They’ll play alongside Patrick Sharp.
May 23, 2015, 12:45 PM EDT
He thought the commissioner was misquoted.
May 23, 2015, 11:45 AM EDT
A formal announcement could come as early as next week.
May 23, 2015, 10:40 AM EDT
He’ll serve as an assistant to GM Don Maloney.
May 23, 2015, 9:43 AM EDT
He would be eligible for this year’s draft, if he doesn’t come to terms by June 1.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 3
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 16
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 7
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 23
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 14
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 51
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (173)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)