Jan 3, 2013, 2:50 PM EST
Even though speculation about a soon-to-be-completed CBA is rampant, Jason Chimera still has his doubts.
“I don’t trust Gary Bettman right now and what his motive is,” Chimera told the Washington Post. “He’s a nice man, I’ve met him numerous times, but I don’t trust what’s happened so far.”
The Washington forward — a veteran of over 600 NHL contests — has been an outspoken critic of league practices.
In August, he said it would be “pretty dumb” to have a lockout.
In October, he made an odd analogy about the owners’ willingness to make a deal.
“Maybe they’re looking at the season like an advent calendar – like Christmas is coming and they’re taking their chocolates out one day at a time,”he said. “And when the big chocolate comes they make a proposal.”
With those comments as a backdrop, it’s not surprising he’s skeptical about the current round of talks.
To be fair to Chimera, his frustrations are legitimate. He probably would’ve loved to carry over the momentum from 2011-12 — at 33, he posted career highs in goals (20) and points (39) — and make good on the two-year, $3.5 million deal signed with the Caps just prior to the start of last season.
But this is now the second lockout Chimera’s been through, and the frustrations are evident.
“If they’re working that late, last night was great and if they keep meeting [Thursday] it’s positive,” he explained. “I just don’t believe anything anymore until it’s done.”
- AHL announces new Pacific Division — who could go west next? 11
- Babcock didn’t think Wings would be ‘near where we’re at’ 14
- Brodeur announces retirement, leaves ‘the game with a big smile on my face’ 12
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks’ ‘dog fight’ continues vs. red hot Ducks 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Rangers, Canadiens seek edge as divisional battles intensify 1
- Struggling Kings complete the comeback against Blackhawks 11
- Video: Tempers boil over between Capitals, Penguins 46
- Isles’ Clutterbuck latest to be fined for diving 19
- No hearing scheduled for Kesler after ‘dirty play’ on Dorsett 23
- Why NHL fans — no matter where they live — should care about the plunging Canadian dollar 33