Jan 3, 2013, 2:50 PM EDT
Even though speculation about a soon-to-be-completed CBA is rampant, Jason Chimera still has his doubts.
“I don’t trust Gary Bettman right now and what his motive is,” Chimera told the Washington Post. “He’s a nice man, I’ve met him numerous times, but I don’t trust what’s happened so far.”
The Washington forward — a veteran of over 600 NHL contests — has been an outspoken critic of league practices.
In August, he said it would be “pretty dumb” to have a lockout.
In October, he made an odd analogy about the owners’ willingness to make a deal.
“Maybe they’re looking at the season like an advent calendar – like Christmas is coming and they’re taking their chocolates out one day at a time,”he said. “And when the big chocolate comes they make a proposal.”
With those comments as a backdrop, it’s not surprising he’s skeptical about the current round of talks.
To be fair to Chimera, his frustrations are legitimate. He probably would’ve loved to carry over the momentum from 2011-12 — at 33, he posted career highs in goals (20) and points (39) — and make good on the two-year, $3.5 million deal signed with the Caps just prior to the start of last season.
But this is now the second lockout Chimera’s been through, and the frustrations are evident.
“If they’re working that late, last night was great and if they keep meeting [Thursday] it’s positive,” he explained. “I just don’t believe anything anymore until it’s done.”
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 12
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 16
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 56
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 25
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 24
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 60
- Curtains on Broadway: Martin St. Louis calls it a career 36
- Discuss: Where’s the best fit for Alex Semin? 23
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)