Jan 3, 2013, 3:02 PM EDT
Alberta’s opposition party has devised a plan to help pay for new NHL arenas in Edmonton and, eventually, Calgary.
Under the plan, the lottery game KENO would be dramatically expanded to increase revenue from $3.1 million annually to almost $200 million.
“We believe this could be a solution that makes sense for everybody involved,” Wildrose opposition leader Danielle Smith said in a statement.
“The City of Edmonton would get a magnificent downtown facility, the Edmonton Oilers would get a new home and Alberta taxpayers wouldn’t be on the hook for any of it.
“Wildrose believes the downtown arena is an important part of Edmonton’s future and we hope the province and the city will consider our proposal.”
The idea is hardly original (even though the Wildrose party is calling it “new and innovative.”) Lotteries are often used by governments to fund stadium construction.
Arguments against using lottery funds include:
—- “If it’s so easy to raise the money, why not use the proceeds for something besides a subsidy for billionaire sports owners?”
It remains to be seen if the provincial government has any interest in such a plan. (We’d wager it doesn’t, if only because the opposition party came up with the plan.)
The Oilers and the City of Edmonton have been calling on the province to fund $100 million of the cost of a new downtown arena.
- Bruins’ Hamilton: ‘I don’t feel like a rookie anymore’ 0
- Penguins’ Murray: ‘We need to be better’ 0
- Senators’ coach MacLean: Karlsson ‘wasn’t one of the best players’ 3
- Discuss: Penguins defeat Senators in Game 2; lead series 2-0 24
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators 74
- Torres won’t appeal suspension, Sharks call punishment ‘grossly unfair’ 8
- Flyers owner Snider: ‘I didn’t pick Bryz’ 60
- Sens’ MacLean, Ducks’ Boudreau, Hawks’ Quenneville are Jack Adams finalists 22
- Playoffs Tonight: ‘Pesky’ Sens fight to even series vs Pens 18
- Video: Vlasic’s controversial delay of game penalty 22
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Discuss: Penguins knock Islanders out of playoffs (99)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (93)
- Capitals discuss ‘lopsided’ penalty calls (82)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (79)
- Swimmer Phelps denies comeback rumors
- PHT: Crosby's hat trick powers Penguins past Senators
- PFT: Jets' Goodson gets five gun and drug charges
- PFT: Gronk taking pre-surgery rip through Vegas
- PFT: Seahawks' Irvin suspended for violating PED policy
- Orb favored to take Preakness, set up Triple try
- What to watch for at the Preakness