Jan 2, 2013, 10:05 AM EST
It may have been a slow start for Team USA against the Czech Republic during the quarterfinals of the World Junior Championships, but it was a definitive finish.
Johnny Gaudreau finished the game with a hat trick, Jacob Trouba had four assists and goalie John Gibson stopped all 31 shots he faced in the Americans’ 7-0 win over the Czechs. Team USA will now face Team Canada in the semifinals tomorrow.
You could say that being in the preliminary “group of death” with Canada, Russia, and Slovakia helped get Team USA ready for this round, and through two periods of play against the Czechs, it felt that way. It was only 1-0 after the first, but 6-0 after 40 minutes with Riley Barber scoring both of his goals in the second.
Now this sets up a crucial game with Canada in the semis. As you’ll remember, Canada took out Team USA 2-1 during the opening round of the tournament but the stakes are a bit higher now with a spot in the gold medal game on the line. Whatever you might’ve thought of their first match-up, expect better this time around. It’s never boring between these two junior hockey powers.
- Lawyer: Ribeiro to ‘vigorously fight’ $1M lawsuit alleging abuse of ex-nanny (Updated) 10
- In praise of the Hamburglar 14
- Leafs’ Panik latest to be fined for diving 8
- Connor McDavid is just on fire right now 20
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 31
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 5
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 14
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 54