Jan 2, 2013, 10:05 AM EST
It may have been a slow start for Team USA against the Czech Republic during the quarterfinals of the World Junior Championships, but it was a definitive finish.
Johnny Gaudreau finished the game with a hat trick, Jacob Trouba had four assists and goalie John Gibson stopped all 31 shots he faced in the Americans’ 7-0 win over the Czechs. Team USA will now face Team Canada in the semifinals tomorrow.
You could say that being in the preliminary “group of death” with Canada, Russia, and Slovakia helped get Team USA ready for this round, and through two periods of play against the Czechs, it felt that way. It was only 1-0 after the first, but 6-0 after 40 minutes with Riley Barber scoring both of his goals in the second.
Now this sets up a crucial game with Canada in the semis. As you’ll remember, Canada took out Team USA 2-1 during the opening round of the tournament but the stakes are a bit higher now with a spot in the gold medal game on the line. Whatever you might’ve thought of their first match-up, expect better this time around. It’s never boring between these two junior hockey powers.
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 6
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 3
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 30
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 3
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 7
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 14
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 86
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (86)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)