Jan 2, 2013, 10:05 AM EST
It may have been a slow start for Team USA against the Czech Republic during the quarterfinals of the World Junior Championships, but it was a definitive finish.
Johnny Gaudreau finished the game with a hat trick, Jacob Trouba had four assists and goalie John Gibson stopped all 31 shots he faced in the Americans’ 7-0 win over the Czechs. Team USA will now face Team Canada in the semifinals tomorrow.
You could say that being in the preliminary “group of death” with Canada, Russia, and Slovakia helped get Team USA ready for this round, and through two periods of play against the Czechs, it felt that way. It was only 1-0 after the first, but 6-0 after 40 minutes with Riley Barber scoring both of his goals in the second.
Now this sets up a crucial game with Canada in the semis. As you’ll remember, Canada took out Team USA 2-1 during the opening round of the tournament but the stakes are a bit higher now with a spot in the gold medal game on the line. Whatever you might’ve thought of their first match-up, expect better this time around. It’s never boring between these two junior hockey powers.
- Lundqvist hooked after three first-period goals as Rangers’ woes continue 19
- Burke wants the Flames to be — yep, you guessed it — more ‘truculent’ 39
- Flames fire GM Jay Feaster 36
- Video: Projected rise in salary cap could have some players ‘licking their lips’ 19
- Discuss: Blackhawks score big on Rivalry Night on NBCSN 37
- Crosby: If I had to guess Thornton’s suspension, I’d say 10 games 83
- Cowen gets two-game suspension for hit on Girgensons 12
- Rangers must consider Callahan’s injury history in contract talks 13
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Outrage over hockey violence, Gary Bettman is a happy man, Darryl Sutter is awesome, and more! 33
- Report: Isles coach Capuano not seen as problem 11
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (184)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (138)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (118)