Jan 2, 2013, 8:14 AM EDT
Only time will tell if the latest round of CBA negotiations will bring an end to this lockout, but at least significant progress seems to have been made.
On top of that, the NHLPA is reportedly now willing to accept a 10-year CBA under certain conditions, up from its previous offer of an eight-year deal.
The length of the CBA is something that has been important to the NHL for quite some time. When talks collapsed roughly a month ago, the CBA length was one of the three major issues that the NHL wanted the union to move towards them on in exchange for other concessions.
The NHL has already backed away from its previous demand of a five-year limit for player contracts, which was another one of the three sticking points the league highlighted last month.
The two sides have been exchanging proposals over the last few days and the latest is from the league. Tuesday night’s negotiating sessions lasted a mere 30 minutes before the NHLPA left to review the latest offer.
The expectation is that talks will continue today, but the two sides still need to contact each other this morning to confirm that.
- Video: ‘It’s not the ideal situation,’ says OT hero Vermette of being a healthy scratch 4
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks 35
- Video: Ducks score three goals in 37 seconds to take third-period lead 8
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 4 0
- Cooper on replacing Bishop: ‘That is asinine to me’ 25
- Vermette, Teravainen return for Blackhawks in Game 4 15
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 24
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 53
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)