Jan 2, 2013, 8:14 AM EDT
Only time will tell if the latest round of CBA negotiations will bring an end to this lockout, but at least significant progress seems to have been made.
On top of that, the NHLPA is reportedly now willing to accept a 10-year CBA under certain conditions, up from its previous offer of an eight-year deal.
The length of the CBA is something that has been important to the NHL for quite some time. When talks collapsed roughly a month ago, the CBA length was one of the three major issues that the NHL wanted the union to move towards them on in exchange for other concessions.
The NHL has already backed away from its previous demand of a five-year limit for player contracts, which was another one of the three sticking points the league highlighted last month.
The two sides have been exchanging proposals over the last few days and the latest is from the league. Tuesday night’s negotiating sessions lasted a mere 30 minutes before the NHLPA left to review the latest offer.
The expectation is that talks will continue today, but the two sides still need to contact each other this morning to confirm that.
- Panthers owners say they’re committed even though team has lost ‘tremendous amounts of money’ 3
- Update: Wild’s Harding out indefinitely with fractured foot 17
- Johansen heads home from Columbus as talks get even messier 14
- Kesler accuses Vancouver media of making up stories, ‘throwing people under the bus’ 19
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal 49
- Mike Yeo is pretty unhappy with Minnesota’s goalie situation 20
- Much to his relief, Lecavalier will start season at center 14
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands 61
- Advantage Kuemper? Harding on crutches after ankle injury 15
- Done deal, finally: Wings ink DeKeyser to two-year, $4.375M extension 11
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (61)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (50)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)