Jan 2, 2013, 8:14 AM EDT
Only time will tell if the latest round of CBA negotiations will bring an end to this lockout, but at least significant progress seems to have been made.
On top of that, the NHLPA is reportedly now willing to accept a 10-year CBA under certain conditions, up from its previous offer of an eight-year deal.
The length of the CBA is something that has been important to the NHL for quite some time. When talks collapsed roughly a month ago, the CBA length was one of the three major issues that the NHL wanted the union to move towards them on in exchange for other concessions.
The NHL has already backed away from its previous demand of a five-year limit for player contracts, which was another one of the three sticking points the league highlighted last month.
The two sides have been exchanging proposals over the last few days and the latest is from the league. Tuesday night’s negotiating sessions lasted a mere 30 minutes before the NHLPA left to review the latest offer.
The expectation is that talks will continue today, but the two sides still need to contact each other this morning to confirm that.
- Ex-‘Hawks goalie Raanta tees off on former club 30
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls 114
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 81
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 22
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Report: Hawks feel Kane ‘disrespected’ team, have received trade calls (114)
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance (95)
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? (81)
- Lucic jokes about running through Rask ‘like I did (to) another goalie’ (42)
- It’s Chicago Blackhawks day at PHT (39)