Jan 2, 2013, 12:22 PM EST
An expansion of the current playoff system is being discussed internally by both the NHL and NHLPA, according to Sportsnet’s Nick Kypreos.
Kypreos reports that the new format would include 20 teams, up from 16. However, it should be noted that the topic has not yet been broached in formal negotiations.
Now, it shouldn’t come as a surprise this has come up internally. We’re sure lots of ideas have been discussed (it’s not like they haven’t had time to brainstorm). So there’s no guarantee this is actually going to happen.
But if it does, how might a new format work? Well, first recall that the NHL wants to realign into four conferences. So our best guess would be one-game (maybe best-of-three) playoffs for the fourth- and fifth-place teams in each of the four conferences.
This would have two advantages. First, the additional games would provide additional revenue. Second, more teams in the playoff race theoretically means fewer fans giving up on their teams during the regular season.
Major League Baseball recently introduced an expanded playoff system as part of its new CBA, with one-game playoffs between two wild card teams in each league. In October, the new format allowed the 88-74 Cardinals to beat the 94-68 Braves in a one-game showdown and advance all the way to NLCS (where they lost in seven to the Giants).
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Ovechkin’s great big year of disappointment 2
- PHT’s top 14 of ’14: Kings win Cup, Martinez the OT hero 0
- Welcome to PHT’s top 14 stories for 2014 0
- Scott suspended four games for punch that was ‘neither predictable, nor acceptable’ 23
- Sharks’ Scott has hearing for his punch to Jackman 29
- (Video) PHT Extra: Christmas wish lists from around the NHL 2
- PHT interviews Don Maloney, who knows he has a big trade chip in Vermette 7
- Backstrom to start for Wild, who need their goalies to be ‘better’ 13
- NHL on NBCSN: Avs challenge Blues after narrow losses to St. Louis 6
- Gaudreau’s first hat trick helps Flames stun Kings 7
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (75)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)
- Panthers hold off Penguins for shootout win (42)