Jan 2, 2013, 10:22 PM EDT
Henrik Lundqvist wasn’t trying to make any bold statements about the lockout ending when he announced his plans to leave Sweden for New York City on New Year’s day:
But now It's time to make a move. Time to return to NYC and hopefully I'm coming back for the right reason like I said..—
Henrik Lundqvist (@HLundqvist30) January 01, 2013
Instead, he’s been holding out hope that the work stoppage would come to an end. It’s tough to blame him, too.
For one thing, the New York Rangers bolstered an Atlantic Division-winning lineup by trading for Rick Nash. More personally, he’s in the second-to-last year of a big contract, with a notable drop from his 2012-13 salary ($6.875 million) to 2013-14’s $5.125 million takeaway.
The reigning Vezina Trophy winner is 30 years old, so the lockout is eating into a key prime year on a team that could give him the best support of his NHL career.
Here’s hoping he’s indeed coming back to the Big Apple for a good reason – whether Lunqvist and the Rangers end up looking great or not.
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 4
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 5
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 9
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 8
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 17
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 13
- Sens tell fans to stop throwing hamburgers 35
- NHL confirms working with Isles, Leddy regarding Twitter threats (Updated) 16
- Snider: Patience is ‘great with the kids,’ but not with ‘the team we have on the ice’ 11
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Asst. GM Guerin admits Penguins need to lay off the refs (51)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)