Jan 2, 2013, 1:30 PM EDT
Jordan Eberle has been named the AHL’s player of the month for the second straight month. The Oilers forward who’s spending the NHL lockout with the Oklahoma City Barons racked up 11 goals and nine assists in December, including a hat trick in less than three minutes on Dec. 31.
Eberle leads the AHL with 49 points in 32 games. In second place is teammate Justin Schultz, whose 45 points are ten more than the league’s third-place scorer, Springfield (Blue Jackets) forward Cam Atkinson.
Two other AHL monthly awards were announced today. Hershey (Capitals) goalie Braden Holtby was named top goaltender and Texas (Stars) forward Reilly Smith was named top rookie.
Holtby’s impressive month (1.69 GAA, .943 SV%, three shutouts) is welcome news for the Caps, who once the NHL returns will be counting on the 23-year-old to build on last year’s playoff performance.
- Getzlaf powers Ducks to Game 2 victory, 2-0 series lead over Stars 0
- Video: Lucic spears DeKeyser from behind 69
- Detroit stuns favored Bruins with late goal to take Game 1 34
- Crashing Lightning: Montreal crushes Tampa Bay, takes 2-0 series lead 6
- Quenneville gets $25,000 fine for ‘bush-league move’ 12
- NHL looking into Quenneville’s ‘grabby’ gesture from Game 1 41
- Getzlaf to play Game 2, looks awful 20
- Video: PHT Extra — can Detroit exploit Boston’s blueline? 13
- Sharks go on the attack, defeat Kings in Game 1 16
- Avalanche win in OT, complete third-period comeback 63