Jan 2, 2013, 8:31 PM EDT
Multiple outlets report that the NHL and NHLPA have gathered once again to continue CBA discussions … or if the pattern holds, to continue serving counter-proposals back and forth like a heated Wimbledon exchange.
As formulaic as things may seem, Wednesday night’s proceedings could be pivotal. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun quotes an anonymous player who admits that the latest talks will likely determine if the the players file a disclaimer of interest.
From NHL player: "How they respond to our latest proposal will determine if we disclaim or not." Huge meeting tonight to say the least—
Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) January 02, 2013
Now, let’s shift to the “Memes that have developed thanks to a story-starved media” category.
First things first, we can all breathe a sigh of relief that reporters aren’t being subjected to New York City cold like they were on Tuesday. LeBrun’s photo of some of the gathered media says a thousand (sometimes creepy) words:
NHL has rescued us off the frigid sidewalks and let us wait out the meeting in its offices.. :) http://t.co/6a8lawf0—
Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) January 03, 2013
(That photo of TSN’s Darren Dreger is just begging for the “Eli Manning looking at things” treatment, isn’t it?)
Meanwhile, Sportsnet’s Jesse Spector shares an update on the surprisingly Meme-friendly podium from the December discussions:
Dais is the new Podium. http://t.co/pEBs3cVd—
Jesse Spector (@jessespector) January 03, 2013
Settle in kids, tonight could get awfully interesting – even if it’s not all good news.
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 17
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 24
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 58
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 44
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (58)