CBA discussions kick off again

Jan 2, 2013, 8:31 PM EDT

Bettman and Fehr Getty Images

Multiple outlets report that the NHL and NHLPA have gathered once again to continue CBA discussions … or if the pattern holds, to continue serving counter-proposals back and forth like a heated Wimbledon exchange.

As formulaic as things may seem, Wednesday night’s proceedings could be pivotal. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun quotes an anonymous player who admits that the latest talks will likely determine if the the players file a disclaimer of interest.

Now, let’s shift to the “Memes that have developed thanks to a story-starved media” category.

First things first, we can all breathe a sigh of relief that reporters aren’t being subjected to New York City cold like they were on Tuesday. LeBrun’s photo of some of the gathered media says a thousand (sometimes creepy) words:

(That photo of TSN’s Darren Dreger is just begging for the “Eli Manning looking at things” treatment, isn’t it?)

Meanwhile, Sportsnet’s Jesse Spector shares an update on the surprisingly Meme-friendly podium from the December discussions:

Settle in kids, tonight could get awfully interesting – even if it’s not all good news.

1. jimw81 - Jan 2, 2013 at 8:36 PM

like the other podium.

• stevedurbano - Jan 2, 2013 at 8:56 PM

Meet the new podium, same as the old podium…. we won’t get fooled again.

2. ludacrish05 - Jan 2, 2013 at 8:47 PM

Ill be here waiting

3. sportsfan69 - Jan 2, 2013 at 8:48 PM

Let’s get a deal now.

4. jaredo10 - Jan 2, 2013 at 8:51 PM

deal or no deal. all your missing is howie

5. stevedurbano - Jan 2, 2013 at 8:55 PM

Come on man, doesn’t someone out there have an unnamed source that can give us the skinny? Oh yeah right……

6. antkowiak666 - Jan 2, 2013 at 9:01 PM

if they don’t get a deal done,F@#$’EM ALL!!!

7. bigbadbruins77 - Jan 2, 2013 at 9:02 PM

My sources say that a deal is immenent and the new podium is for the “big announcement”. Okay so that’s my hope and gut feeling, but I’ve had my optimism crushed so many times already :(. Thanks to the PHT staff for staying up late and keeping the losers like myself that are still holding on and checking for updates on the hour up to date. Thank god for smart phones.

• whatthepuck2012 - Jan 2, 2013 at 9:35 PM

I’m glad that losers like myself that are updating PHT on their phone every 3 frickin’ minutes are in good company.

• shotzongoal - Jan 2, 2013 at 11:42 PM

I’m here with you whatthepuck

8. shotzongoal - Jan 2, 2013 at 9:25 PM

I’m not looking for a deal this evening, I’m looking for negotiations to keep moving forward.and the process to continue!

9. xthexundyingx - Jan 2, 2013 at 9:28 PM

think maybe the reason they “rescued” the media from the cold outside is maybe because they want the media nearby for their announcement?

10. shotzongoal - Jan 2, 2013 at 9:37 PM

I also feel that if decertification is part of the end game, the Leagues response will be, “knock yourself out.”

11. jaredo10 - Jan 2, 2013 at 9:40 PM

is this the comment center for the fiscal cliff?

12. joeyashwi - Jan 2, 2013 at 9:49 PM

My unnamed sources tell me….JUST KIDDING guys and gals…different Joey. I miss hockey and hope that they can get this done tonight.

13. shotzongoal - Jan 2, 2013 at 9:53 PM

“@DarrenDreger: League is waiting for players reaction to their response tonight. Both sides are currently in caucus.” Here it comes!

14. ducksk - Jan 2, 2013 at 10:05 PM

Hockey….hockey……anyone?

15. shotzongoal - Jan 2, 2013 at 10:14 PM

“@Real_ESPNLeBrun: Hearing both sides disappointed with lack of true movement in each other’s new positions today… Key is to keep talking though..”

16. LoyalFan34yrsGoKings - Jan 2, 2013 at 10:19 PM

This had better be done before I fu€|<!ng loose it man!

17. jessethegreat - Jan 2, 2013 at 10:19 PM

Just get it done guys! I’m fiending for some pro hockey!

18. LoyalFan34yrsGoKings - Jan 2, 2013 at 10:21 PM

..yes HOCKEY..

19. shotzongoal - Jan 2, 2013 at 10:37 PM

“@ChrisBottaNHL: NHL isn’t taking PA disclaimer seriously. Fehr isn’t taking Bettman’s Jan. 11 deadline seriously. The mistrust never ends.”

“@RenLavoieRDS: 90 minutes before the disclaimer. The NHLPA will use it if they are not close to a deal.” I think we’re in for a long night!

20. revansrevenant - Jan 2, 2013 at 10:37 PM

If I had to choose between, at this moment, having a girlfriend or having hockey, neither of which I have right now, I would choose hockey. If that doesn’t say everything about how crazy I am for the NHL and, by extension, the B’s, then I don’t know what else to say. I’m going completely bonkers here. I don’t want to be left hanging anymore. I want to move on from this limbo. Luckily, it’s only nine days more one way or the other. On the other hand, nine days from now, I could be having to look forward to… baseball. Save me.

21. hockinj25 - Jan 2, 2013 at 10:43 PM

Haha #DregerFace trending right now

22. leeo00 - Jan 2, 2013 at 10:52 PM

come on lets get this thing done . LETS GO BLUES!!!

23. shotzongoal - Jan 2, 2013 at 11:08 PM

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN
    #CBA Less than an hour left until NHLPA has to decide on whether to file disclaimer. Imagine there will be more internal caucusing before

All of my posts here are from twitter. Just trying to update.

• sportsfan69 - Jan 2, 2013 at 11:15 PM

thanks!

24. shotzongoal - Jan 2, 2013 at 11:24 PM

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
    Players haven’t decided on filing disclaimer but how to proceed and course of action was set earlier tonight on conf call.
    Expand Reply Retweet Favorite

8 minutes ago

25. whatthepuck2012 - Jan 3, 2013 at 12:15 AM

I NEED AN UPDATE!!!!!!! &$@%#

26. shotzongoal - Jan 3, 2013 at 12:24 AM

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl
    NHL and NHLPA are still going as far as all the media here knows. What this means for the potential PA disclaimer of interest is unknown.

27. shotzongoal - Jan 3, 2013 at 12:32 AM

Chris Botta ‏@ChrisBottaNHL
    Don Fehr did the right thing tonight for his players and the NHL.

28. shotzongoal - Jan 3, 2013 at 12:36 AM

Pierre LeBrun ‏@Real_ESPNLeBrun
    “Hard to say” says source in talks when asked if there’s any progress

I’m not sure but it sounds like the PA did not file at this time

29. shotzongoal - Jan 3, 2013 at 12:39 AM

Darren Dreger ‏@DarrenDreger
    Squeezing sources…not much to share…but, told “open issues” still remain.

30. shotzongoal - Jan 3, 2013 at 1:08 AM

Dan Rosen ‏@drosennhl
    Fehr says there is still a ways to go. He said players still retain all their legal options.

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
    NHLPA did not filed for disclaimer, source just told me.

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN
    #CBA Fehr said two sides moved closer on some items but that there is still a way to go if a deal is going to be reached

Fehr is going to address the media. Good night,

31. shotzongoal - Jan 3, 2013 at 1:14 AM

Renaud Lavoie ‏@RenLavoieRDS
    NHLPA did not filed for disclaimer, source just told me.

Katie Strang ‏@KatieStrangESPN

Michael Grange ‏@michaelgrange
    Fehr — we expect to meet to 2mrw; differences between us remain core economic issues other than share… #NHLlockout

Good night

32. shotzongoal - Jan 3, 2013 at 1:19 AM

oops sorry for the repost….too much rum! lol

Top 10 NHL Player Searches
  1. S. Bennett (1297)
  2. P. Rinne (1112)
  3. S. Crosby (1112)
  4. N. Niederreiter (1111)
  5. B. Schenn (1063)