Jan 2, 2013, 8:31 PM EDT
Multiple outlets report that the NHL and NHLPA have gathered once again to continue CBA discussions … or if the pattern holds, to continue serving counter-proposals back and forth like a heated Wimbledon exchange.
As formulaic as things may seem, Wednesday night’s proceedings could be pivotal. ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun quotes an anonymous player who admits that the latest talks will likely determine if the the players file a disclaimer of interest.
From NHL player: "How they respond to our latest proposal will determine if we disclaim or not." Huge meeting tonight to say the least—
Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) January 02, 2013
Now, let’s shift to the “Memes that have developed thanks to a story-starved media” category.
First things first, we can all breathe a sigh of relief that reporters aren’t being subjected to New York City cold like they were on Tuesday. LeBrun’s photo of some of the gathered media says a thousand (sometimes creepy) words:
NHL has rescued us off the frigid sidewalks and let us wait out the meeting in its offices.. :) http://t.co/6a8lawf0—
Pierre LeBrun (@Real_ESPNLeBrun) January 03, 2013
(That photo of TSN’s Darren Dreger is just begging for the “Eli Manning looking at things” treatment, isn’t it?)
Meanwhile, Sportsnet’s Jesse Spector shares an update on the surprisingly Meme-friendly podium from the December discussions:
Dais is the new Podium. http://t.co/pEBs3cVd—
Jesse Spector (@jessespector) January 03, 2013
Settle in kids, tonight could get awfully interesting – even if it’s not all good news.
- Hawks’ biggest question: What happens with Patrick Kane? 61
- Hall of Famer Al Arbour passes away 21
- Poll: Who will be San Jose’s next captain? 24
- Mike Richards charged with possession of controlled substance 95
- Gio won’t go: Flames extend Giordano for six years, $40.5M 13
- Pens’ plan for now: Crosby starts as Kessel’s center 25
- O, Dear: Russia fined $85K for skipping Canadian anthem 31
- Kings ink Ehrhoff to a one-year, $1.5 million deal 27
- Quebec City, Vegas advance to final phase of NHL expansion process 50
- Here’s the full NHL 2015 preseason schedule, starting Sept. 20 5