Jan 2, 2013, 3:54 PM EDT
If the NHL lockout ends soon, the Washington Capitals may have to start the season without one of their top players.
“Nicklas has what you say — bruised neck,” Svensson said. “Hard to say about the recovery time. Day to day, maybe week to week.”
Backstrom has 25 points in 19 games for Dynamo Moscow. His Caps teammate Alex Ovechkin leads the club with 38 points in 30 games.
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 0
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 20
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 7
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 13
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 21
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8
- Tough times in Tampa: Garrison out 3-4 weeks after ‘pretty dirty’ Abdelkader hit 22