Jan 1, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
Team USA’s Shayne Gostisbehere and Russia’s Valeri Nichushkin are ineligible to play in the quarterfinals due to separate IIHF rulings. Both players will still be allowed to participate in the semifinals, provided their respective countries win on Wednesday.
Gostisbehere is being suspended for approaching Slovakia’s Matus Matis from behind during the first period of Monday’s contest and striking him between the legs with his stick. The Margate, Florida native was handed a five-minute slashing major and game misconduct for his actions.
Matis was injured on the play, but returned before the end of America’s 9-3 victory.
During the first period of Russia’s 4-1 loss to Canada on Monday, Nichushkin smashed Tyler Wotherspoon into the boards from behind. After the initial contact, Nichushkin’s arms continued to move upward and forward, which caused Wotherspoon’s face to smash into the glass and boards.
Nichushkin was given five minutes for checking from behind and also handed a game misconduct. Wotherspoon temporarily left the game, but was able to return before its conclusion.
Russia will play Switzerland on Wednesday, with the winner of that contest set to compete against Sweden in the semifinals. The United States is scheduled to face the Czech Republic on Wednesday and the winner will challenge Canada.
- Report: Richards’ border incident involved oxycodone 17
- Trade: Bieksa headed to California — but it’s Anaheim, not San Jose 17
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago 77
- Hamilton signs six-year deal with Flames 18
- Sharks get Jones from Bruins for first-round pick and unsigned prospect 42
- Hurricanes to buy out Semin 14
- Bruins are talking to teams about Savard, but not Rask 13
- Report: Richards part of police investigation 46
- UFA of the Day: Mike Green 5
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad, Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (79)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)