Jan 1, 2013, 2:20 PM EDT
Team USA’s Shayne Gostisbehere and Russia’s Valeri Nichushkin are ineligible to play in the quarterfinals due to separate IIHF rulings. Both players will still be allowed to participate in the semifinals, provided their respective countries win on Wednesday.
Gostisbehere is being suspended for approaching Slovakia’s Matus Matis from behind during the first period of Monday’s contest and striking him between the legs with his stick. The Margate, Florida native was handed a five-minute slashing major and game misconduct for his actions.
Matis was injured on the play, but returned before the end of America’s 9-3 victory.
During the first period of Russia’s 4-1 loss to Canada on Monday, Nichushkin smashed Tyler Wotherspoon into the boards from behind. After the initial contact, Nichushkin’s arms continued to move upward and forward, which caused Wotherspoon’s face to smash into the glass and boards.
Nichushkin was given five minutes for checking from behind and also handed a game misconduct. Wotherspoon temporarily left the game, but was able to return before its conclusion.
Russia will play Switzerland on Wednesday, with the winner of that contest set to compete against Sweden in the semifinals. The United States is scheduled to face the Czech Republic on Wednesday and the winner will challenge Canada.
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 28
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 30
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely 78
- Report: Brodie’s contract extension with Calgary expected Monday 0
- Video: Rangers score twice in record time 5
- Video: Quick robs Parise as part of 40-save performance 11
- Ruff blasts Dallas for playing ‘garbage hockey’ vs. Flyers 7
- Schwartz’s first career hat trick leads Blues past Coyotes 2
- Giroux nets OT winner as Flyers top Stars 3
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)