Jan 1, 2013, 2:20 PM EST
Team USA’s Shayne Gostisbehere and Russia’s Valeri Nichushkin are ineligible to play in the quarterfinals due to separate IIHF rulings. Both players will still be allowed to participate in the semifinals, provided their respective countries win on Wednesday.
Gostisbehere is being suspended for approaching Slovakia’s Matus Matis from behind during the first period of Monday’s contest and striking him between the legs with his stick. The Margate, Florida native was handed a five-minute slashing major and game misconduct for his actions.
Matis was injured on the play, but returned before the end of America’s 9-3 victory.
During the first period of Russia’s 4-1 loss to Canada on Monday, Nichushkin smashed Tyler Wotherspoon into the boards from behind. After the initial contact, Nichushkin’s arms continued to move upward and forward, which caused Wotherspoon’s face to smash into the glass and boards.
Nichushkin was given five minutes for checking from behind and also handed a game misconduct. Wotherspoon temporarily left the game, but was able to return before its conclusion.
Russia will play Switzerland on Wednesday, with the winner of that contest set to compete against Sweden in the semifinals. The United States is scheduled to face the Czech Republic on Wednesday and the winner will challenge Canada.
- NHL on NBC: Rangers look for a fourth straight win against the Flyers 5
- Ducks score four third-period goals, come back to beat rival Kings 7
- Blackhawks aren’t done talking trades, will look to add another forward 13
- Flyers trade Kimmo Timonen to Blackhawks 29
- Video: Couture fined $5K for slew-footing Smith 22
- Time to start winning — Bruins’ next four games are against non-playoff teams 17
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 14
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 41
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 66
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 29
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (69)
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs (66)
- Lindros files $3M defamation lawsuit against ex-referee Stewart (Updated: Now $250K) (65)