Jan 1, 2013, 2:20 PM EST
Team USA’s Shayne Gostisbehere and Russia’s Valeri Nichushkin are ineligible to play in the quarterfinals due to separate IIHF rulings. Both players will still be allowed to participate in the semifinals, provided their respective countries win on Wednesday.
Gostisbehere is being suspended for approaching Slovakia’s Matus Matis from behind during the first period of Monday’s contest and striking him between the legs with his stick. The Margate, Florida native was handed a five-minute slashing major and game misconduct for his actions.
Matis was injured on the play, but returned before the end of America’s 9-3 victory.
During the first period of Russia’s 4-1 loss to Canada on Monday, Nichushkin smashed Tyler Wotherspoon into the boards from behind. After the initial contact, Nichushkin’s arms continued to move upward and forward, which caused Wotherspoon’s face to smash into the glass and boards.
Nichushkin was given five minutes for checking from behind and also handed a game misconduct. Wotherspoon temporarily left the game, but was able to return before its conclusion.
Russia will play Switzerland on Wednesday, with the winner of that contest set to compete against Sweden in the semifinals. The United States is scheduled to face the Czech Republic on Wednesday and the winner will challenge Canada.
- Video: Team Foligno survives shootout, wins Skills Competition 0
- Video: Weber wins hardest shot with 108.5 mph blast 0
- Video: Lightning’s Drouin wins fastest skater 5
- WATCH LIVE: NHL All-Star Skills Competition 0
- Will the Youngstars even have a chance? (Updated) 9
- Unique World Cup format allows ‘more of the very best players’ to participate 6
- NHL unveils 2016 Winter Classic, Stadium Series games 15
- Players have fun, show off personalities in water-fueled All-Star Fantasy Draft 9
- Video: ‘Coachable’ Kessel goes from last pick to 2nd overall 5
- Video: Team Foligno takes Ryan Johansen first overall in All-Star Fantasy Draft 1
- Columnist: Flyers ‘orchestrated’ fight night versus Pens during meal at ‘a local steakhouse’ (130)
- Flyers’ Rinaldo: ‘I changed the whole game, man’ (112)
- Video: Rinaldo tossed for boarding Letang (79)
- Metro sensational: Rangers continue dominance of division, Pens (61)
- Report: Flyers’ Rinaldo waives right to an in-person hearing (61)