Jan 1, 2013, 7:02 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks defenseman is expected to miss at least three weeks thanks to a wrist injury, according to Elite Prospect’s Matias Strozyk. The injury came from a slash that happened in that matchup.
Whether the lockout continues or not, some team will lose out on because of the injury. He’s playing for Kärpät in Finland during the work stoppage, so if a deal is made, each squad could suffer.
Things had been going well overseas for Demers. The 24-year-old blueliner scored 21 points in 30 games in the Finnish league.
Demers has quite a bit to gain if he can return to action with San Jose. He’ll be a restricted free agent once 2012-13 ends and has a lot to prove after having a tough go last season.
On the bright side, he might not miss too many NHL games if the three week estimate is correct and the season kicks off on Jan. 19. That would require some good luck for both the player and the league, however.
Update: CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz reports it’s a broken wrist, one that will keep Demers shelved for 4-6 weeks.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 22
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 48
- All eyes on Lundqvist 11
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)