Jan 1, 2013, 7:02 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks defenseman is expected to miss at least three weeks thanks to a wrist injury, according to Elite Prospect’s Matias Strozyk. The injury came from a slash that happened in that matchup.
Whether the lockout continues or not, some team will lose out on because of the injury. He’s playing for Kärpät in Finland during the work stoppage, so if a deal is made, each squad could suffer.
Things had been going well overseas for Demers. The 24-year-old blueliner scored 21 points in 30 games in the Finnish league.
Demers has quite a bit to gain if he can return to action with San Jose. He’ll be a restricted free agent once 2012-13 ends and has a lot to prove after having a tough go last season.
On the bright side, he might not miss too many NHL games if the three week estimate is correct and the season kicks off on Jan. 19. That would require some good luck for both the player and the league, however.
Update: CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz reports it’s a broken wrist, one that will keep Demers shelved for 4-6 weeks.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 5
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 26
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 33
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 38
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)