Jan 1, 2013, 7:02 PM EST
The San Jose Sharks defenseman is expected to miss at least three weeks thanks to a wrist injury, according to Elite Prospect’s Matias Strozyk. The injury came from a slash that happened in that matchup.
Whether the lockout continues or not, some team will lose out on because of the injury. He’s playing for Kärpät in Finland during the work stoppage, so if a deal is made, each squad could suffer.
Things had been going well overseas for Demers. The 24-year-old blueliner scored 21 points in 30 games in the Finnish league.
Demers has quite a bit to gain if he can return to action with San Jose. He’ll be a restricted free agent once 2012-13 ends and has a lot to prove after having a tough go last season.
On the bright side, he might not miss too many NHL games if the three week estimate is correct and the season kicks off on Jan. 19. That would require some good luck for both the player and the league, however.
Update: CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz reports it’s a broken wrist, one that will keep Demers shelved for 4-6 weeks.
- Sharks say Fleury was ‘shaky’ and ‘fighting it’ in 44-save victory 14
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) 53
- Seguin (concussion) cleared to play tonight 0
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ 87
- Will the Rangers use a compliance buyout on Richards? 9
- Malkin (lower body) to miss tonight’s game versus Sharks 20
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ 59
- Columbus puts Bobrovsky (groin) on IR, out 4-5 weeks 3
- The Chip ‘n’ Chase: Olympic odds, Russia’s defense, King Henrik’s new deal, Fire Cappy? and more 28
- With Lundqvist deal done, Sather faces tough questions 11
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (87)
- Flyers’ Couturier: ‘We’re starting to believe in ourselves’ (59)
- Lehtonen shines, Roussel agitates as Stars beat ‘Hawks (53)
- Boychuk boarded by Pacioretty, taken off on stretcher (Update: has movement in extremities) (53)
- Video: Canucks’ Bieksa fights Rangers’ Boyle, then kicks Boyle’s helmet (52)