Jan 1, 2013, 7:02 PM EDT
The San Jose Sharks defenseman is expected to miss at least three weeks thanks to a wrist injury, according to Elite Prospect’s Matias Strozyk. The injury came from a slash that happened in that matchup.
Whether the lockout continues or not, some team will lose out on because of the injury. He’s playing for Kärpät in Finland during the work stoppage, so if a deal is made, each squad could suffer.
Things had been going well overseas for Demers. The 24-year-old blueliner scored 21 points in 30 games in the Finnish league.
Demers has quite a bit to gain if he can return to action with San Jose. He’ll be a restricted free agent once 2012-13 ends and has a lot to prove after having a tough go last season.
On the bright side, he might not miss too many NHL games if the three week estimate is correct and the season kicks off on Jan. 19. That would require some good luck for both the player and the league, however.
Update: CSN Bay Area’s Kevin Kurz reports it’s a broken wrist, one that will keep Demers shelved for 4-6 weeks.
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 8
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 8
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 20
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 21
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 71
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 27
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- ‘Hawks would like to re-sign Oduya, but still working through ‘financial hurdles’ 17
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick 73
- Voynov takes plea, gets 90 days in jail plus probation 66
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Trade: Caps acquire Oshie from Blues for Brouwer, Copley and draft pick (73)