Formal CBA talks will resume today (Updated)

Jan 1, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT

Gary Bettman; Bill Daly AP

Following the NHLPA’s counteroffer to the NHL’s latest proposal, the league’s staff met late into the night and are still engaged in internal discussions, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger and TSN/ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.

The expectation is that the NHL and union will meet at some point today to resume the negotiations, but there’s no firm timeline.

Update: The two sides will engage in informal conference calls and smaller group sessions this afternoon. Formal negotiations won’t start until 5:00 p.m. ET at the earliest, according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie and Dreger.

The NHL’s offer included several key concessions and the union’s response was “comprehensive,” but that doesn’t necessarily mean that a deal is imminent. Dreger believes that the two sides are still apart on a number of main issues and he doesn’t think we’ll see an agreement made today.

Similarly, Sportsnet’s Daren Millard quoted an unnamed league source who said “we still have a ways to go.”

As things currently stand, it’s possible that we’ll get a 52-game season if an agreement is reached by Thursday. If that doesn’t happen, then we could end up with a 48-game schedule that starts on Jan. 19.

If the union and league fail to reach an agreement by those deadlines, then we might see the NHL cancel what’s left of the 2012-13 campaign in the coming weeks.

1. id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 11:43 AM

My unnamed league source said “we’re going to make this happen”, and my unnamed PA source said “we can’t afford to lose any more money that we can’t recoup”. There you have it.

• sportsfreak13 - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:13 PM

My unnamed source says your a attention whore and a liar. One plus of this lockout ending is we don’t have to hear about your unnamed sources anymore.

• gallyhatch - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:31 PM

Don’t bet on that, he’ll find plenty of other crap to keep talking about. The only way to get rid of an attention whore is to stop paying attention.

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:03 PM

Though my sources are very close to both sides, it is apparent that both sides, and especially the owners have been deceitful. This mere fact makes the sources’ job extremely difficult. Just consider the journalists who have been reporting about the lockout from day 1. How many times have they been wrong? So. Chill! And for now I stand by Bergeron’s headline from Dec 18. Visit the RDS web site for details.

Now, many of you have certainly forgotten many of my posts based on information recieved from sources were in fact accurate. And, there are some here who do remember and can vouch for me. But, you non believers conjure up stories of multiple handles. Only sheep would do this. Anyway! Happy New Year to you and loved ones. May 2013 bring you peace and the end of all wars.

• ravenscaps48 - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM

216 Thumbs Down and Counting! Ladies And Gentlemen, Joey is setting a PHT Record! Recognize Greatness! Hip-Hip, HOORAY!…. Toolbag

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:06 PM

Lol! I’ll even thumbs down my own comment to humor the flock. 311 going to 312. Lets see how high we can get it. LOL!

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:12 PM

Actually! My click brought the thumbs down to 324…… And counting. *I will give one pair of NHL tickets in the city of your choice to the person who brings the number from 999 to 1000. Good luck to all participants.

*send me your email for contest rules.

id4joey

• ravenscaps48 - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:21 PM

See. Thow’s how much people dislike you. That I posted my comment at 12:53 PM and it had 216 likes. By the time I got done typing, it was up in the 260’s. Now, at 1:21 PM, you are over 400 people reading your comment, thinking it’s absolutely ridiculous, and giving you negative approval… And yet, you still feel the need to type more… You are my hero, Joey!

• ravenscaps48 - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:24 PM

*that’s

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:30 PM

theawesomersfranchise, thank goodness their grammar is not amateurish like yours.

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:36 PM

Hmmm! Thow’s how much people dislike me…… Lol! How do you know how I feel? Hmmmm! Anyway! I can tell you that I really don’t care about your little scheme and how many thumbs down I get. My click brought the thumbs down to 324…… *I will give one pair of NHL tickets in the city of your choice to the person who brings the number from 999 to 1000. Good luck to all participants.

*send me your email for contest rules.

• ravenscaps48 - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:58 PM

I wish food poisoning upon you, Joey

• ravenscaps48 - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:59 PM

Check that. Irritable Bowel Syndrome

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:36 PM

ravenscap48, your fingers are working double time to get that number to 1000. Sorry! Your actions have forced the organizers to render the contest null and void. No one will be awarded the free tickets. What would it take for you to get the number beyond 1000 to say 10,000?

• ravenscaps48 - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:48 PM

Did your source get you the tickets?

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:52 PM

ravenscaps48, now that’s a dumb question. Sources provide information, sometimes misleading as proven by Ken Campbell. Never cross LOBs, and use contacts sparingly. Learn this lesson, and one day you may become an id4joey.

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:28 PM

theawesomersfranchise, Well! Writing comments like this one should put you on the black list. Lol!

• theawesomersfranchise - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:32 PM

I have never seen someone in his 50’s “LOL” as much as you. Makes me think (know) you’re not that old.

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:43 PM

Lol!

• theawesomersfranchise - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:50 PM

Yup, more like a teenager or early 20’s rather than a 50 year old. Just another confirmed lie from Joey

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:10 PM

Well! Inspector Clouseau! Time to go play out in the meadow and build a snowman then pretend that he is Parson Brown. He’ll say: Are you married? We’ll say: No man….. Oh! Sorry! Got carried away by youthful exuberance. :-)

• ddaveyy - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:27 PM

Eklund…is that you?

• mp1131211 - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:31 PM

Bravo! 820 dislikes! Wow!!!!!! That is INCREDIBLE!

PHT, is that a record????

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:44 PM

906, ravenscaps48 is hard at work…… Go! And you people don’t believe in conspiracies. Hahahahahaha! :-) too funny! Talk about shooting yourself in the foot!

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:41 PM

theawesomersfranchise, then you are indeed as clueless as Inspector Clouseau. Can’t speak for blomfeld, but I will be here when you’ll need your id4joey fix. :-))

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:49 PM

Seriously! I’ve lost sleep just hoping this day would happen. How high can that number go? ravenscaps48, your mission should you accept it, is to increase that number until it can no longer be increased. If you are caught doing so the IMF will deny ever working with you. What say you?

• ravenscaps48 - Jan 1, 2013 at 3:13 PM

How old are you, seven?

• husky2score - Jan 1, 2013 at 5:10 PM

Congratulations Joey(?)

2. buffalomafia - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:12 PM

Greed!

3. ludacrish05 - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:34 PM

Blah blah blah

4. joeyashwi - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:37 PM

My sources say id4joey is correct. My sources are not unnamed however. My source? COMMON SENSE! Of course neither side wants to lose a whole season again. Of course my source has been wrong since September.

5. jaredo10 - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:39 PM

who is this guy with his unnamed sources ? your sources have been wrong this whole lockout..

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Actually! That is an incorrect statement. I’ve been wrong about predicting the when the lockout would end, however, many comments posted from speaking wit sources have been correct.

6. ron05342 - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:42 PM

Well, at least we finally have a drop-dead date to the season from all this nonsense.

The fact that it is going to the wire (and may not get done in time to save the season) speaks volumes as to the utter and complete incompetence in terms of ability and leadership from Bettman, Daly, and the Fehr brothers in this entire ridiculous episode.

• mp1131211 - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:34 PM

True that. I check in for lockout updates EVERY day hoping to get news about a season. I’m a goddamn addict to this BS! The end of this roller-coaster, one way or the other, is soon.

7. whatthepuck2012 - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:53 PM

My sources wish you all a happy new year. :D

• ravenscaps48 - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Likewise, Feller

• whatthepuck2012 - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:21 PM

Feller? You totally don’t get a sandwich. ;)

• ravenscaps48 - Jan 1, 2013 at 3:08 PM

Oh…. Don’t I look silly. Had no idea you were of the female variety. My apologies. I wouldn’t make you make me sandwiches. That’s just rude and stereotypical… However, I will take a glass of Lemonade ;)

• whatthepuck2012 - Jan 1, 2013 at 7:05 PM

I think my “make a sandwich for everyone” challenge ended a few days ago anyway.

• ravenscaps48 - Jan 1, 2013 at 7:11 PM

You didn’t have to do that. People are more than capable of making their own sandwiches anyways.

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:15 PM

Mine as well, girl.

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:55 PM

Can I get a sandwich? Although I would prefer a muffin. Chocolate…

• ravenscaps48 - Jan 1, 2013 at 3:15 PM

I hope she makes doodies in your chocolate muffin batter

8. Buford T Justice - Jan 1, 2013 at 12:55 PM

Joeypoo, what brings you out of your basement?? , oh wait, that’s right! nothing ! lol…

psst, gotta newsflash for ya ! no hockey , no hockey , no hockey !

it’s done, bye bye

9. hotloinsofsid - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:25 PM

joey please join the soup can army. we need a breath of fresh air like you

10. spongebobsportspants - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:38 PM

Hey Joey, can you make the season start on Jan 12? It’s my pa’s 65th. That’d be great timing.

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:56 PM

Actually sources tell me here is a 50% chance of this happening.

• mjvincent125 - Jan 1, 2013 at 4:26 PM

Dude, put the magic 8 ball away.

11. ironmike778 - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:42 PM

Dude go away. Seriously, give it a rest.

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:15 PM

Is that you Tyson? Which woman are you planning to assault next?

• ravenscaps48 - Jan 1, 2013 at 4:40 PM

YOU!

• ravenscaps48 - Jan 1, 2013 at 4:41 PM

HI-YOOOO!!!!!

12. Buford T Justice - Jan 1, 2013 at 1:55 PM

wait you mean they havent started playing hockey yet? , where have I been? lol, oh thts right , I forgot they already cancelled the pointless season ya’ll live and breathe over

• id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:13 PM

Well! If it isn’t an old friend returning to PHT, how you doing GeneralLee1175, Joey Dumbfeld, mississippimudslinger? What brings you back to PHT?

13. capsfan19 - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:16 PM

Whats that charlie brown? Gary bettman is actually a russian oil oligarch attempting to leech money from the league? Thats what my sources say. As in the thoughts in my brain.
    Joey are ur sources like the janitors of the buidings these guys meet in and happen upon a fleeting comment? Are they the hotdog man bettman and daly go to whilst they scheme the downfall of the sport? Is it one of bettman’s love slaves?
    Seriously come on man. Maybe u do have sources. But i think EVERYONE on this has gone through enough of a rollercoaster ride as it is. For all we know u could be an imposter and be blomfeld phase 2? Spewing out his garbage. Come on dude!
    More power to ya if u really have the inside scoop u say u do. Im not buying it, me personally tho.

14. id4joey - Jan 1, 2013 at 2:57 PM

:-) I’ll look into it. Been pretty busy here today.

15. Buford T Justice - Jan 1, 2013 at 3:03 PM

Ya’ll sure do make such an insignificant item such as id4joey feel pretty important each time you challenge him, each time you reply to him and each time you react to him. it’s what he wants, needs and craves. There’s really only one other poster on here that gets joey and dumbfeld really irked , and that would be ………

well… myself of course :)

pssst …. no hockey , no hockey , no hockey

16. sportsfan69 - Jan 1, 2013 at 3:39 PM

To NHLPA and NHL,

A New Years resolution. Stop the posturing and finalize the deal today. It would be a great way to express to the fans that you actually care about us. There’s motivation, 52 game schedule instead of 48 games. Few extra dollars in everyone’s pockets. Give the stadium vendors and local restaurants/bars owners some good news. Everyone could use it.

• tfaltin - Jan 2, 2013 at 2:14 PM

How do you thumb-down this comment?

17. capsrockva - Jan 1, 2013 at 3:52 PM

I don’t care how, just get the dam thing done

18. Buford T Justice - Jan 1, 2013 at 4:48 PM