Jan 1, 2013, 11:26 AM EDT
Following the NHLPA’s counteroffer to the NHL’s latest proposal, the league’s staff met late into the night and are still engaged in internal discussions, according to TSN’s Darren Dreger and TSN/ESPN’s Pierre LeBrun.
The expectation is that the NHL and union will meet at some point today to resume the negotiations, but there’s no firm timeline.
Update: The two sides will engage in informal conference calls and smaller group sessions this afternoon. Formal negotiations won’t start until 5:00 p.m. ET at the earliest, according to RDS’ Renaud Lavoie and Dreger.
The NHL’s offer included several key concessions and the union’s response was “comprehensive,” but that doesn’t necessarily mean that a deal is imminent. Dreger believes that the two sides are still apart on a number of main issues and he doesn’t think we’ll see an agreement made today.
Similarly, Sportsnet’s Daren Millard quoted an unnamed league source who said “we still have a ways to go.”
As things currently stand, it’s possible that we’ll get a 52-game season if an agreement is reached by Thursday. If that doesn’t happen, then we could end up with a 48-game schedule that starts on Jan. 19.
If the union and league fail to reach an agreement by those deadlines, then we might see the NHL cancel what’s left of the 2012-13 campaign in the coming weeks.
- Agent: Franson has spoken with ‘half a dozen’ teams (Updated) 8
- Your 2015 HHOF Class: Fedorov, Housley, Lidstrom, Pronger, Ruggiero 39
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder 102
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ 88
- Sens’ Chiasson headed for arbitration 1
- Pricey Platoon? Stars reportedly sign Niemi for three years, $13.5M 19
- Hodgson, Stalberg placed on unconditional waivers 24
- Buyouts loom as Richards, Parenteau and Fistric clear unconditional waivers 4
- UFA of the Day: Chris Stewart 18
- Penguins sign Ian Cole to a three-year, $6.3 million deal 11
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (102)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (88)
- Trade: Flames land Dougie Hamilton for package of picks (75)
- Trade: Busy Bruins send Lucic to Kings (66)
- Consensus reached: 5 minutes of 3-on-3 OT could be in place for 2015-16 (60)