Jan 1, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
The stage is set for the second phase of the 2013 World Junior Championships.
Canada, Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic, Switzerland the United States have all advanced to the playoff round while Finland, Slovakia, Latvia and Germany will play in the relegation bracket.
Because they finished first in Groups A and B respectively, Canada (4W) and Sweden (3W-1OTW) will receive automatic bids into the semifinal round. Russia (2W-1OTW-1L) will play Switzerland (1W-3OTL) in one quarterfinal while the U.S. (2W-2L) will face the Czechs (2W-1OTW-1L) in the other.
Schedule (All times ET)
Wednesday, Jan. 2: Quarterfinals
United States vs. Czech Republic, 4 a.m.
Russia vs. Switzerland, 8 a.m.
Thursday, Jan. 3: Semifinals
Canada vs. United States/Czech Republic, 3:30 a.m.
Sweden vs. Russia/Switzerland, 8 a.m.
Saturday, Jan. 5
Bronze Medal Game, 4 a.m.
Gold Medal Game, 7:30 a.m.
As for the relegation round — all four teams will play a round-robin to decide which three (the first-, second- and third-place finishers) stay up for the 2014 World Juniors and which one (the fourth-place finisher) will be sent down to the Division I Group A tourney next year.
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 52
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 42
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (71)
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)