Jan 1, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
The stage is set for the second phase of the 2013 World Junior Championships.
Canada, Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic, Switzerland the United States have all advanced to the playoff round while Finland, Slovakia, Latvia and Germany will play in the relegation bracket.
Because they finished first in Groups A and B respectively, Canada (4W) and Sweden (3W-1OTW) will receive automatic bids into the semifinal round. Russia (2W-1OTW-1L) will play Switzerland (1W-3OTL) in one quarterfinal while the U.S. (2W-2L) will face the Czechs (2W-1OTW-1L) in the other.
Schedule (All times ET)
Wednesday, Jan. 2: Quarterfinals
United States vs. Czech Republic, 4 a.m.
Russia vs. Switzerland, 8 a.m.
Thursday, Jan. 3: Semifinals
Canada vs. United States/Czech Republic, 3:30 a.m.
Sweden vs. Russia/Switzerland, 8 a.m.
Saturday, Jan. 5
Bronze Medal Game, 4 a.m.
Gold Medal Game, 7:30 a.m.
As for the relegation round — all four teams will play a round-robin to decide which three (the first-, second- and third-place finishers) stay up for the 2014 World Juniors and which one (the fourth-place finisher) will be sent down to the Division I Group A tourney next year.
- NHL on NBCSN: Stakes high for Kings, ‘Hawks tonight 0
- Blackhawks’ Sharp: ‘We knew we had to get two points’ 9
- Video: Brian Engblom takes a puck to the head 11
- Flames jump back into third in Pacific, beat Preds 6
- Letang concussed, Penguins will dress five defensemen 18
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks desperate for wins, Penguins seek definitive end to slump 7
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 4
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 28
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 48
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4