Jan 1, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
The stage is set for the second phase of the 2013 World Junior Championships.
Canada, Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic, Switzerland the United States have all advanced to the playoff round while Finland, Slovakia, Latvia and Germany will play in the relegation bracket.
Because they finished first in Groups A and B respectively, Canada (4W) and Sweden (3W-1OTW) will receive automatic bids into the semifinal round. Russia (2W-1OTW-1L) will play Switzerland (1W-3OTL) in one quarterfinal while the U.S. (2W-2L) will face the Czechs (2W-1OTW-1L) in the other.
Schedule (All times ET)
Wednesday, Jan. 2: Quarterfinals
United States vs. Czech Republic, 4 a.m.
Russia vs. Switzerland, 8 a.m.
Thursday, Jan. 3: Semifinals
Canada vs. United States/Czech Republic, 3:30 a.m.
Sweden vs. Russia/Switzerland, 8 a.m.
Saturday, Jan. 5
Bronze Medal Game, 4 a.m.
Gold Medal Game, 7:30 a.m.
As for the relegation round — all four teams will play a round-robin to decide which three (the first-, second- and third-place finishers) stay up for the 2014 World Juniors and which one (the fourth-place finisher) will be sent down to the Division I Group A tourney next year.
- Wolverine Pacioretty gets two assists just two days after being hospitalized 0
- Seriously? Stress fracture sidelines Columbus’ Jenner for 1-2 months 6
- Julien chides Bruins’ offense for too many cute plays 39
- Sens roll over Ducks, who ‘weren’t ready’ 11
- Flyers’ Mason tweaked back, will miss weekend games 10
- Gordie Howe makes ‘amazing’ recovery following stem cell treatment in Mexico 15
- Video: Penguins’ spoof of ‘Christmas Vacation’ is pretty good 18
- Mason hurt, helped off ice at end of Flyers practice 8
- Could Vermette land in Washington? 9
- Pens confirm Maatta has the mumps 5