Jan 1, 2013, 10:00 AM EDT
The stage is set for the second phase of the 2013 World Junior Championships.
Canada, Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic, Switzerland the United States have all advanced to the playoff round while Finland, Slovakia, Latvia and Germany will play in the relegation bracket.
Because they finished first in Groups A and B respectively, Canada (4W) and Sweden (3W-1OTW) will receive automatic bids into the semifinal round. Russia (2W-1OTW-1L) will play Switzerland (1W-3OTL) in one quarterfinal while the U.S. (2W-2L) will face the Czechs (2W-1OTW-1L) in the other.
Schedule (All times ET)
Wednesday, Jan. 2: Quarterfinals
United States vs. Czech Republic, 4 a.m.
Russia vs. Switzerland, 8 a.m.
Thursday, Jan. 3: Semifinals
Canada vs. United States/Czech Republic, 3:30 a.m.
Sweden vs. Russia/Switzerland, 8 a.m.
Saturday, Jan. 5
Bronze Medal Game, 4 a.m.
Gold Medal Game, 7:30 a.m.
As for the relegation round — all four teams will play a round-robin to decide which three (the first-, second- and third-place finishers) stay up for the 2014 World Juniors and which one (the fourth-place finisher) will be sent down to the Division I Group A tourney next year.
- Playoffs tonight: Bruins and Red Wings look to finish things in Game 5 0
- Video: Senators’ captain Alfredsson discusses his future 10
- Penguins put on a ‘clinic’ in semifinal series win over Senators 21
- Report: NHL to present Glendale with Coyotes ownership plan next week 11
- Discuss: Penguins knock off the Senators in Game 5, headed to conference final 67
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 5
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 20
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 23
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (87)
- Pacers even series with Heat
- Penguins bounce Senators | Highlights
- MST: Rosberg wins third straight pole in Monaco
- Tennis.com: Can anyone stop Serena at French?
- Tennis.com: Is French still Nadal's to lose?
- Tigers' Sanchez loses no-hitter in 9th vs. Twins
- PST: Report: Openly gay Rogers to play for Galaxy
- Play Video: Highlights: Penguins crush Senators to move on
- Play Video: Neil hits Murray below the belt
- Play Video: Morrow's goal up for review in Game 5
- Play Video: Phantom penalty called on Crosby
- Play Video: I was there: Bruins stun Maple Leafs in Game 7
- Play Video: Top-seeded Blackhawks on brink of elimination