Jan 1, 2013, 10:00 AM EST
The stage is set for the second phase of the 2013 World Junior Championships.
Canada, Sweden, Russia, Czech Republic, Switzerland the United States have all advanced to the playoff round while Finland, Slovakia, Latvia and Germany will play in the relegation bracket.
Because they finished first in Groups A and B respectively, Canada (4W) and Sweden (3W-1OTW) will receive automatic bids into the semifinal round. Russia (2W-1OTW-1L) will play Switzerland (1W-3OTL) in one quarterfinal while the U.S. (2W-2L) will face the Czechs (2W-1OTW-1L) in the other.
Schedule (All times ET)
Wednesday, Jan. 2: Quarterfinals
United States vs. Czech Republic, 4 a.m.
Russia vs. Switzerland, 8 a.m.
Thursday, Jan. 3: Semifinals
Canada vs. United States/Czech Republic, 3:30 a.m.
Sweden vs. Russia/Switzerland, 8 a.m.
Saturday, Jan. 5
Bronze Medal Game, 4 a.m.
Gold Medal Game, 7:30 a.m.
As for the relegation round — all four teams will play a round-robin to decide which three (the first-, second- and third-place finishers) stay up for the 2014 World Juniors and which one (the fourth-place finisher) will be sent down to the Division I Group A tourney next year.
- Burgled: Sens’ Hammond shuts out Kings 1
- Wild get important win vs. Preds (and some luck, too) 15
- Trading baggage: Blue Jackets grab Clarkson, send Horton’s contract to Leafs 58
- Panthers acquire Jagr from Devils 28
- Trotz doesn’t see a ‘big, sexy, difference-maker guy’ on the market 16
- What’s up with the reports of problems in the Blackhawks’ room? 40
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight 81
- Lombardi happy to get ‘one of the better defenseman on the market’ in Sekera 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Wild need two points from NHL-leading Preds 21
- Video: Potential No. 1 overall pick Connor McDavid goes end-to-end, top shelf 9
- Leafs’ Rielly apologizes for insensitive remarks (86)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (81)
- ‘I don’t know why we’re so comfortable,’ says Toews after loss to Avalanche (69)
- Report: Alex Petrovic avoids discipline after injuring Patrick Kane (65)