Jan 1, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
The Ontario Hockey League had no matches scheduled between Dec. 17-26 and the time off seemed to be good for Vancouver Canucks prospect Brendan Gaunce. He was named the OHL Player of the Week after scoring two goals and five points in just two games.
Gaunce has 12 goals and 23 points in 28 contests with the Belleville Bulls after the Canucks took him with the 26th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Also being recognized for his recent efforts was Pittsburgh Penguins prospect Anton Zlobin. He received the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League’s first star of the week after recording four goals and nine points over the span of the Val d’Or Foreurs’ matches on Saturday and Sunday.
That gives Zlobin 19 goals and 49 points in 32 games this season.
Anthony Bardaro earned the Western Hockey League’s weekly honors by scoring four goals and seven points in two contests. He is among the Prince Albert Raiders’ offensive leaders with 14 goals and 22 assists in 36 contests.
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 0
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 7
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)