Jan 1, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
The Ontario Hockey League had no matches scheduled between Dec. 17-26 and the time off seemed to be good for Vancouver Canucks prospect Brendan Gaunce. He was named the OHL Player of the Week after scoring two goals and five points in just two games.
Gaunce has 12 goals and 23 points in 28 contests with the Belleville Bulls after the Canucks took him with the 26th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Also being recognized for his recent efforts was Pittsburgh Penguins prospect Anton Zlobin. He received the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League’s first star of the week after recording four goals and nine points over the span of the Val d’Or Foreurs’ matches on Saturday and Sunday.
That gives Zlobin 19 goals and 49 points in 32 games this season.
Anthony Bardaro earned the Western Hockey League’s weekly honors by scoring four goals and seven points in two contests. He is among the Prince Albert Raiders’ offensive leaders with 14 goals and 22 assists in 36 contests.
- Leafs sign Matthias — one year, $2.3 million 5
- Report: Kopitar, Kings in ‘early stages of negotiations’ for extension 5
- Arbitration filed: Holtby, Nyquist & Stepan highlight list released by NHLPA 12
- Report: Plotnikov paid $500K to get out of KHL contract 13
- Philadelphia signs ’15 first rounder Provorov 11
- Brandon Saad brings championship experience to Blue Jackets 22
- Sharks sign Joel Ward to three-year deal 25
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 74
- Locked in: Columbus signs Saad to six-year, $36M deal 28
- Oilers sign McDavid to entry-level contract 29
- Blockbuster: Kessel traded to the Penguins (131)
- Trade: Flyers send Rinaldo to Bruins for 2017 third-rounder (105)
- Trade: Jackets land Saad; Anisimov and Dano headed to Chicago (93)
- Bypassing a buyout? Kings terminate Richards’ contract for ‘material breach’ (90)
- Sabres lock up O’Reilly through 2022-23 (74)