Jan 1, 2013, 5:00 PM EDT
The Ontario Hockey League had no matches scheduled between Dec. 17-26 and the time off seemed to be good for Vancouver Canucks prospect Brendan Gaunce. He was named the OHL Player of the Week after scoring two goals and five points in just two games.
Gaunce has 12 goals and 23 points in 28 contests with the Belleville Bulls after the Canucks took him with the 26th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Also being recognized for his recent efforts was Pittsburgh Penguins prospect Anton Zlobin. He received the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League’s first star of the week after recording four goals and nine points over the span of the Val d’Or Foreurs’ matches on Saturday and Sunday.
That gives Zlobin 19 goals and 49 points in 32 games this season.
Anthony Bardaro earned the Western Hockey League’s weekly honors by scoring four goals and seven points in two contests. He is among the Prince Albert Raiders’ offensive leaders with 14 goals and 22 assists in 36 contests.
- Video: Flames stun Ducks in OT to get back in the series 5
- Video: Controversial no-goal call on Flames 6
- Video: Crawford, Kane help Blackhawks push Wild to brink of elimination 33
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 1
- Prust apologizes for all the stuff he said about referee Watson 48
- Flyers will be ‘extremely patient’ with youngsters, but ‘want a winner as soon as possible’ 22
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 16
- Holtby outduels Lundqvist as Caps take series lead 52
- Red Wings’ Devellano calls Mantha ‘very, very, very disappointing’ 66
- End of an era in New Jersey as Shero replaces Lamoriello as GM 26
- Vigneault: ‘Standards have been set’ after Ovechkin, Backstrom hits (103)
- ‘You can’t win,’ ex-NHL ref Fraser says of Prust incident (83)
- Lightning’s Bishop silences Red Wings in hard fought Game 7 (81)
- Babcock won’t discuss future yet, but sees challenges ahead for Wings (78)
- New York second: Capitals stun Rangers for 1-0 series lead (76)