Jan 1, 2013, 5:00 PM EST
The Ontario Hockey League had no matches scheduled between Dec. 17-26 and the time off seemed to be good for Vancouver Canucks prospect Brendan Gaunce. He was named the OHL Player of the Week after scoring two goals and five points in just two games.
Gaunce has 12 goals and 23 points in 28 contests with the Belleville Bulls after the Canucks took him with the 26th overall pick in the 2012 NHL Entry Draft.
Also being recognized for his recent efforts was Pittsburgh Penguins prospect Anton Zlobin. He received the Quebec Major Junior Hockey League’s first star of the week after recording four goals and nine points over the span of the Val d’Or Foreurs’ matches on Saturday and Sunday.
That gives Zlobin 19 goals and 49 points in 32 games this season.
Anthony Bardaro earned the Western Hockey League’s weekly honors by scoring four goals and seven points in two contests. He is among the Prince Albert Raiders’ offensive leaders with 14 goals and 22 assists in 36 contests.
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 5
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand 79
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) 74
- Video: Penguins’ Neal knees Bruins’ Marchand 64
- Penguins announce Brooks Orpik ‘alert and conscious’ (Updated) 37
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ 74
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty 170
- Report: Salary cap ‘may be around’ $70 million next season 17
- TGIF: Five NHL games to watch this weekend 5
- Report: Laviolette a candidate to replace Capuano 25
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (170)
- Bylsma: Sharks are NHL’s best, ‘with all due respect to Chicago’ (89)
- Penguins’ Neal has phone hearing for knee on Bruins’ Marchand (80)
- Shawn Thornton: ‘People could probably criticize that I’m a little too honorable’ (74)
- Shawn Thornton confirms hearing with NHL Department of Player Safety (Updated) (74)