Jan 1, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
At this point, we can say with relative confidence that training camp will only last about a week if the 2012-13 campaign is saved.
That’s not a ton of time to get ready for a condensed schedule, but Crosby is hoping that teams will at least get an opportunity to play in two or three exhibition games.
“When you’re playing your team’s system against an actual opponent, not your own teammates, it’s a little different,” he said in a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette report. “You do get something from that.
“[Whether exhibition games are played] is something that would have to be negotiated and talked through with everyone. You have to find that balance of making sure you’re ready. Do you possibly miss other games [in the regular season] because you’re not prepared?”
Of course, the level of preparedness varies from player to player. Crosby hasn’t played competitive hockey since Apr. 22 while others have been busy in the AHL or Europe during the lockout.
That might give some players and perhaps some teams an edge if there’s a shortened season.
- Bruins can’t hold Ducks off, suffer sixth loss in a row 12
- Ticket punched: Rangers become first team to clinch 2015 playoff berth 2
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT 20
- Marchand: If Bruins miss playoffs, ‘this is going to be a much different group next year’ 16
- Is Lecavalier offering to retire early to facilitate trade out of Philly? 26
- Hextall insists he’s ‘on the same page’ with Snider 15
- Krejci ‘probable’ to return versus Ducks 10
- Flyers announce Simmonds, MacDonald done for the season with injuries 18
- Video: Flyers crush Blackhawks, Voracek joins league lead in points 11
- Report: Draft Lottery to be held on Apr. 18 14
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)
- Dubnyk leads Wild past Isles in SO, earns 10th straight road win (44)