Jan 1, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
At this point, we can say with relative confidence that training camp will only last about a week if the 2012-13 campaign is saved.
That’s not a ton of time to get ready for a condensed schedule, but Crosby is hoping that teams will at least get an opportunity to play in two or three exhibition games.
“When you’re playing your team’s system against an actual opponent, not your own teammates, it’s a little different,” he said in a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette report. “You do get something from that.
“[Whether exhibition games are played] is something that would have to be negotiated and talked through with everyone. You have to find that balance of making sure you’re ready. Do you possibly miss other games [in the regular season] because you’re not prepared?”
Of course, the level of preparedness varies from player to player. Crosby hasn’t played competitive hockey since Apr. 22 while others have been busy in the AHL or Europe during the lockout.
That might give some players and perhaps some teams an edge if there’s a shortened season.
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 3
- Two down, one to go: Wings ink Tatar to three-year, $8.25M deal 10
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal 61
- Subban not eager to discuss contract talks 33
- Leafs re-sign Reimer — two years, $4.6 million 22
- Gorges still can’t explain falling out of favor in Montreal 13
- Eller, Habs agree to four-year, $14 million contract 10
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 7
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 31
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 45
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (61)
- Report: O’Reilly wants $6.7M deal, Avs counter at $5.5M (58)
- Return that toaster: Ovechkin-Kirilenko engagement broken off (54)