Jan 1, 2013, 3:43 PM EDT
At this point, we can say with relative confidence that training camp will only last about a week if the 2012-13 campaign is saved.
That’s not a ton of time to get ready for a condensed schedule, but Crosby is hoping that teams will at least get an opportunity to play in two or three exhibition games.
“When you’re playing your team’s system against an actual opponent, not your own teammates, it’s a little different,” he said in a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette report. “You do get something from that.
“[Whether exhibition games are played] is something that would have to be negotiated and talked through with everyone. You have to find that balance of making sure you’re ready. Do you possibly miss other games [in the regular season] because you’re not prepared?”
Of course, the level of preparedness varies from player to player. Crosby hasn’t played competitive hockey since Apr. 22 while others have been busy in the AHL or Europe during the lockout.
That might give some players and perhaps some teams an edge if there’s a shortened season.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)