Jan 1, 2013, 3:43 PM EST
At this point, we can say with relative confidence that training camp will only last about a week if the 2012-13 campaign is saved.
That’s not a ton of time to get ready for a condensed schedule, but Crosby is hoping that teams will at least get an opportunity to play in two or three exhibition games.
“When you’re playing your team’s system against an actual opponent, not your own teammates, it’s a little different,” he said in a Pittsburgh Post-Gazette report. “You do get something from that.
“[Whether exhibition games are played] is something that would have to be negotiated and talked through with everyone. You have to find that balance of making sure you’re ready. Do you possibly miss other games [in the regular season] because you’re not prepared?”
Of course, the level of preparedness varies from player to player. Crosby hasn’t played competitive hockey since Apr. 22 while others have been busy in the AHL or Europe during the lockout.
That might give some players and perhaps some teams an edge if there’s a shortened season.
- ‘We can build on this': Devils lose with Lou Lamoriello behind the bench 1
- Video: Nyquist scores OT winner on incredible individual effort 3
- Video: Ovechkin crushes Letang, Capitals cruise by the Penguins 4
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap 55
- Video: NHL on NBC panel breaks down the coaching situation in New Jersey 2
- Lou Lamoriello unveils highly unorthodox coaching plan 37
- NHL on NBCSN: Sharks, Kings renew hostilities 3
- NHL on NBCSN: Can Capitals take advantage of depleted Penguins? 2
- Team Canada crushes Slovakia 14
- Criticism spreads to GM Lou Lamoriello after Devils fire DeBoer 10
- Sabres aren’t happy with league’s decision regarding Bartkowski (76)
- Video: Prout, Lucic drop the gloves in highly anticipated scrap (56)
- Report: NHL won’t hold hearing for Bartkowski hit (55)
- Video: Bartkowski delivers controversial hit to Gionta, fights Foligno (47)
- Could Malkin be the next player to be fined for diving? (43)