Jan 1, 2013, 9:00 AM EST
After seeing Jonathan Drouin make an impact in Canada’s 4-1 win against Russia in the World Junior Championship tournament on Monday, the CBC’s Tim Wharnsby argues that he “cemented his standing among the top contenders.”
Wharnsby believes that Drouin could very well be in the 2013 top overall pick conversation with Seth Jones and his Halifax teammate Nathan MacKinnon.
Drouin, however, has skated into the picture. His speed and goal-scoring ability are remarkable for a kid that began last season playing midget hockey with the Lac St-Louis AAA Lions.
Here’s a quick summary of what the young forward brings to the ice, at least according to Team Canada coach Steve Spott.
Canadian head coach Steve Spott has raved about the skill and hockey intellect of the five-foot-10, 185-pound Drouin since selection camp opened in Calgary three weeks ago.
We’ll see if his recent gains end up being enough to leapfrog two well-established prospects.
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 1
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 6
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 10
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 5
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 10
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 82
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 43
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 31
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 18
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 78
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (82)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)