Jan 1, 2013, 9:00 AM EDT
After seeing Jonathan Drouin make an impact in Canada’s 4-1 win against Russia in the World Junior Championship tournament on Monday, the CBC’s Tim Wharnsby argues that he “cemented his standing among the top contenders.”
Wharnsby believes that Drouin could very well be in the 2013 top overall pick conversation with Seth Jones and his Halifax teammate Nathan MacKinnon.
Drouin, however, has skated into the picture. His speed and goal-scoring ability are remarkable for a kid that began last season playing midget hockey with the Lac St-Louis AAA Lions.
Here’s a quick summary of what the young forward brings to the ice, at least according to Team Canada coach Steve Spott.
Canadian head coach Steve Spott has raved about the skill and hockey intellect of the five-foot-10, 185-pound Drouin since selection camp opened in Calgary three weeks ago.
We’ll see if his recent gains end up being enough to leapfrog two well-established prospects.
- Playoffs Tonight: Senators confident they can beat Penguins 6
- Video: Kings denied a goal after quick whistle 21
- Tweet from L.A. Kings Twitter account stirs controversy 23
- Discuss: Sharks take Game 4, even semifinal series against Kings 10
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 76
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 24
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 57
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (76)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Sharks pull even with Kings
- Garcia's fried chicken jibe inappropriate, Tiger says
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PBT: Nick Gilbert again Cavs' good luck charm
- PBT: Grizzlies figuring out Spurs after Game 2
- PBT: Spurs survive Grizzlies' late run, win in OT
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole