Dec 31, 2012, 11:42 AM EST
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins notched three assists, including one on Mark Schiefele’s game-winner, as Canada defeated Russia 4-1 in the final group game of the 2013 World Junior Championships.
With the win, Canada finished atop Group B with a perfect 4-0 record and earned an automatic spot in the tournament semifinals.
Schiefele’s deciding tally came after Russian forward Valeri Nichushkin was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for hitting Canadian defenseman Tyler Wotherspoon from behind.
Canada scored twice on the ensuing power play — one from Schiefele, one from Dougie Hamilton — with Nugent-Hopkins assisting on both.
The Nuge collected his third assist of the game on Jonathan Drouin’s second period insurance marker, and Jonathan Huberdeau salted the victory away with an empty-net goal late in the third.
Russia’s lone goal came courtesy Nikita Kuckerov, who scored with less than three minutes left in the opening frame to cut Canada’s lead to 2-1.
Russia had a chance for a second when Vladimir Tkachyov was awarded a penalty shot with 20 seconds left, but he was stoned by Canadian goalie Malcolm Subban, who stopped 20 of 21 shots on the night.
- Bettman: No decision on expansion, but they’re listening 5
- Neal admits kneeing Marchand was ‘not the smartest decision’ 67
- Leafs captain Phaneuf suspended two games for boarding 37
- Rangers confirm Staal suffered concussion 8
- Winnipeg to get outdoor game; Phoenix wants one 33
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head 156
- Report: Dion Phaneuf will face hearing for hit on Kevan Miller 104
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ 135
- Lecavalier out 3-4 weeks with non-displaced fracture in back 8
- Islanders players hold closed-door meeting after ninth straight loss 15
- Video: Penguins’ Orpik stretchered off ice; Bruins’ Thornton given match penalty (182)
- Neal suspended five games for kneeing Marchand in the head (156)
- Bruins coach admits Thornton crossed the line, slams Pens for not being ‘truthful’ (135)
- Pens put Orpik on IR (132)
- Orpik suffers from concussion, including memory loss (116)