Dec 31, 2012, 11:42 AM EDT
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins notched three assists, including one on Mark Schiefele’s game-winner, as Canada defeated Russia 4-1 in the final group game of the 2013 World Junior Championships.
With the win, Canada finished atop Group B with a perfect 4-0 record and earned an automatic spot in the tournament semifinals.
Schiefele’s deciding tally came after Russian forward Valeri Nichushkin was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for hitting Canadian defenseman Tyler Wotherspoon from behind.
Canada scored twice on the ensuing power play — one from Schiefele, one from Dougie Hamilton — with Nugent-Hopkins assisting on both.
The Nuge collected his third assist of the game on Jonathan Drouin’s second period insurance marker, and Jonathan Huberdeau salted the victory away with an empty-net goal late in the third.
Russia’s lone goal came courtesy Nikita Kuckerov, who scored with less than three minutes left in the opening frame to cut Canada’s lead to 2-1.
Russia had a chance for a second when Vladimir Tkachyov was awarded a penalty shot with 20 seconds left, but he was stoned by Canadian goalie Malcolm Subban, who stopped 20 of 21 shots on the night.
- PHT Morning Skate: Two top scoring duos collide in Ducks vs. Stars 0
- Pressing Question: Can the Sharks get over past playoff hurdles? 2
- 2014 Stanley Cup Playoffs: PHT’s Round 1 picks 8
- Pressing Question: Can the Blackhawks avoid the Stanley Cup hangover? 7
- Florida wins ’14 NHL draft lottery, will pick first overall 37
- Philly mum on Mason’s availability for Game 1 vs. Rangers 26
- Pressing question: Can the Blues get back on track? 16
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension 91
- Sabres, Panthers have best odds for 2014 NHL draft lottery 16
- Leafs ‘lack an identity,’ says Leiweke 30
- That’s a raise: Flyers sign MacDonald to six-year, $30 million extension (91)
- Lightning’s Malone arrested for DUI, cocaine possession (73)
- Update: Daniel Sedin in stable condition, hospitalized after scary hit (58)
- Halak’s agent ‘bewildered’ by Oates’ remarks prior to Blues game (51)
- Here’s the schedule for the first round of the 2014 playoffs (51)