Dec 31, 2012, 11:42 AM EDT
Ryan Nugent-Hopkins notched three assists, including one on Mark Schiefele’s game-winner, as Canada defeated Russia 4-1 in the final group game of the 2013 World Junior Championships.
With the win, Canada finished atop Group B with a perfect 4-0 record and earned an automatic spot in the tournament semifinals.
Schiefele’s deciding tally came after Russian forward Valeri Nichushkin was given a five-minute major and game misconduct for hitting Canadian defenseman Tyler Wotherspoon from behind.
Canada scored twice on the ensuing power play — one from Schiefele, one from Dougie Hamilton — with Nugent-Hopkins assisting on both.
The Nuge collected his third assist of the game on Jonathan Drouin’s second period insurance marker, and Jonathan Huberdeau salted the victory away with an empty-net goal late in the third.
Russia’s lone goal came courtesy Nikita Kuckerov, who scored with less than three minutes left in the opening frame to cut Canada’s lead to 2-1.
Russia had a chance for a second when Vladimir Tkachyov was awarded a penalty shot with 20 seconds left, but he was stoned by Canadian goalie Malcolm Subban, who stopped 20 of 21 shots on the night.
- Video: Drouin scores first NHL goal, shows early chemistry with Stamkos 3
- Ghost Time: Flyers recall Gostisbehere from AHL 14
- Trotz calls Healy’s comments on Ovechkin (and Ovechkin’s mom) ‘disrespectful’ 25
- Report: Billionaire wants NHL team in Vegas; new Coyotes owner ‘sees flipping the team as a good investment’ 23
- Chara has PCL tear, out 4-6 weeks 18
- Coburn, MacDonald out four weeks with lower-body injuries 18
- Red-hot Quick sets new Kings’ franchise shutout record 9
- Reports: Chara could miss at least 4-6 weeks with knee injury 13
- Video: Red Wings’ stars stun Penguins with late surge 31
- Report: Isles’ Bailey out indefinitely after breaking hand 3
- Video: Two quick third-period goals propel Flyers over rival Penguins (82)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Babcock: ‘Price definitely initiates contact’ in disallowed Datsyuk goal (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)