Dec 31, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
With Penn State’s hockey program off to a solid start and “Team Pennsylvania 2003″ showing off youth hockey in the area, it seems reasonable that R.J. Umberger is raving about the growth of hockey in “The Keystone State.”
The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review caught up with “the first blue-chip hockey talent” from Western Pennsylvania to pick his brain about the progress that’s been made while he attended the Three Rivers Classic.*
“It has been special to see how things have changed, and I loved seeing the enthusiasm for the college games this week,” Umberger said.
He singled out how the sport is growing in Pittsburgh, in particular.
“This was a great week for Pittsburgh hockey,” Umberger said. “Having Penn State around is going to make it even better. Things are looking up for hockey in this city.”
Maybe there will even be a few Pittsburgh Penguins games in a few weeks?
* – Umberger’s alma mater Ohio State lost to Penn State during the event.
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 2
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 9
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 28
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 69
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Senators’ OT hero Greening had fiberglass pieces removed from face 4
- Discuss: Senators win Game 3 in double overtime 36
- Alex ‘they wanted Game 7′ Ovechkin to address media today before heading to Worlds (110)
- Question for commenters: What’s the hardest team to support? (95)
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (72)
- Wings stun Hawks again, take 2-1 series lead
- Posnanski: Once the best, Pujols now irrelevant
- Sports world keeps eye on Oklahoma tornado
- PBT: Vogel downplays war of words with LeBron
- HBT: Camera catches Marlins' Sanabia with spitball
- PBT: Howard reportedly frustrated with D'Antoni
- PBT: Durant, Thunder send support to tornado victims
- Play Video: Highlights: Red Wings top Blackhawks in Game 3
- Play Video: Cleary: 'We won't be exchanging Christmas cards'
- Play Video: 'Hawks potential tying goal waved off
- Play Video: Blackhawks score on controversial play
- Play Video: Blackhawks bring the pain
- Play Video: Red Wings and BlackHawks fighting for control