Dec 31, 2012, 8:40 PM EDT
As the Detroit Red Wings’ GM since 1997, Ken Holland is credited with a continuing the team’s dominance – even as other big-money teams struggled once a salary cap was put in place.
Still, locals must be smarting over the lockout (and postponed Winter Classic), because Detroit Lions fans booed Holland when he appeared on the Ford Field Jumbotron on Sunday, according to Fox Sports Detroit.
To be fair, Lions fans probably weren’t in the most festive mood anyway, as their team fell to the Chicago Bears 26-24 to complete a disappointing 4-12 season.
Also, Holland is hardly to blame for the lockout – unless there are a lot of backdoor dealings we haven’t been privy too.
Still, it says a lot when one of the league’s most distinguished execs gets booed in “Hockeytown.”
On the bright side, this all might be resolved one way or another by Jan. 11. If an entire season is lost, NHL GMs might want to keep a lower profile, though.
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead 38
- Video: Callahan gets away with high-sticking Chara 15
- Playoffs Tonight: Kings look for ‘killer instinct’ against Sharks 10
- Brother says Patrick Roy will be Avs’ head coach 21
- Video: Controversy colors Blackhawks goal, disallowed score 56
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago 88
- Video: Viktor Stalberg returns after head-first sprawl into boards 2
- Brown, Toews, Alfredsson up for Messier Leadership Award 9
- Playoffs Tonight: Blackhawks look to ‘ramp up our intensity’ vs Red Wings 13
- Report: Patrick Roy a candidate for Avalanche head coaching job 9
- Video: Crosby scores hat trick, hits playoff milestone against Senators (91)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (88)
- Bryzgalov thinks Stalin did a good job, wishes Philadelphia wasn’t so old, and believes poor people don’t want to work (80)
- McPhee says lack of power plays ‘didn’t feel right’; Torts says Washington is ‘whining’ (70)
- Penner blasts refs for having ‘gall to guess’ on goalie interference call (64)
- Live Extra: Watch Sharks-Kings, Game 4
- PBT: Cavs win NBA draft lottery, will pick No. 1
- PHT: Bruins rally in third, put Rangers in 3-0 hole
- Durant pledges $1 million for tornado victims
- GTC: Garcia offers Tiger 'fried chicken' for dinner
- Andy Murray out of French Open due to back injury
- PFT: Woodson returns to Raiders for up to $4.3M
- Play Video: Quick gloves a few Sharks
- Play Video: Dustin Brown shaken up after collision
- Play Video: Are the Red Wings a true contender?
- Play Video: Chara bleeds after being struck by high-stick
- Play Video: Time to play Pucktionary
- Play Video: Roenick not happy with call against Blackhawks in Game 3