Dec 31, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s getting hitched.
That’s the word on the street, anyway, as Ovechkin’s agent — David Abrutyn of IMG — tweeted news that his client is set to wed longtime girlfriend and tennis star Maria Kirilenko.
Update: Ovi confirmed.
The two have been dating since last year but took things to the next level this past summer, when Ovechkin enthusiastically followed around and cheered on Kirilenko throughout her bronze medal run at the 2012 London Olympics.
CSN Washington profiled the couple’s relationship in September and speculated on the potential for marriage:
It was during the Olympics that Ovechkin tweeted out photos of him and Kirilenko, including one that showed a large ring on the ring finger of her left hand.
So, is the sound of wedding bells in the air for two of Russia’s most eligible athletes?
Oh, no, Ovechkin said. Just a present from me, that’s all. No engagement. No wedding bells.
At least not yet.
We have a good relationship, he said. Its always nice to have that kind of person around you. Its good.
So, burning question: Did the lockout actually move the engagement along?
With Ovi in Russia playing for Dynamo Moscow, the pair have been closer than ever — Kirilenko recently showed up at a Dynamo game sporting a custom jersey and Ovi recently conducted an interview wearing Kirilenko’s London Olympics towel.
(Image courtesy Ovechkin’s Twitter account)
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 3
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 16
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 18
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 16
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 50
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 57
- Wilson signs with Preds, leaving just four arbitration cases to go 5
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million 62
- Deal with the Devils: New Jersey re-signs Larsson to six-year contract 14
- Stepan seeks $7.25M in arbitration, Rangers counter at $5.2M 24
- Post expansion, could NHL realign with eight divisions? (138)
- NHL to ‘focus exclusively’ on expansion bids for Las Vegas and Quebec City (89)
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (66)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)