Dec 31, 2012, 12:20 PM EST
Alex Ovechkin‘s getting hitched.
That’s the word on the street, anyway, as Ovechkin’s agent — David Abrutyn of IMG — tweeted news that his client is set to wed longtime girlfriend and tennis star Maria Kirilenko.
Update: Ovi confirmed.
The two have been dating since last year but took things to the next level this past summer, when Ovechkin enthusiastically followed around and cheered on Kirilenko throughout her bronze medal run at the 2012 London Olympics.
CSN Washington profiled the couple’s relationship in September and speculated on the potential for marriage:
It was during the Olympics that Ovechkin tweeted out photos of him and Kirilenko, including one that showed a large ring on the ring finger of her left hand.
So, is the sound of wedding bells in the air for two of Russia’s most eligible athletes?
Oh, no, Ovechkin said. Just a present from me, that’s all. No engagement. No wedding bells.
At least not yet.
We have a good relationship, he said. Its always nice to have that kind of person around you. Its good.
So, burning question: Did the lockout actually move the engagement along?
With Ovi in Russia playing for Dynamo Moscow, the pair have been closer than ever — Kirilenko recently showed up at a Dynamo game sporting a custom jersey and Ovi recently conducted an interview wearing Kirilenko’s London Olympics towel.
(Image courtesy Ovechkin’s Twitter account)
- Video: Canucks honor Quinn with “O Danny Boy” 6
- Video: Stars’ Klingberg scores from center ice 4
- Report: Alfredsson retirement to be announced Dec. 4 5
- On the odds of fighting back after Thanksgiving 7
- Why are the Oilers still bad? Look at their drafting 21
- The Leafs are worth almost seven times the Panthers, says Forbes 20
- Isles make some history; Are the Flyers headed for trouble? 43
- Crosby, Malkin power Penguins, help Fleury grab 300th win 7
- Sooner than later? Bruins GM hopes Chara can return in 10-14 days 1
- With worst save percentage in NHL, Oilers fire goalie coach 22
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (99)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (88)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (79)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Bruins’ Lucic expected to play against Habs after getting one-punched (Updated) (47)