Dec 31, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s getting hitched.
That’s the word on the street, anyway, as Ovechkin’s agent — David Abrutyn of IMG — tweeted news that his client is set to wed longtime girlfriend and tennis star Maria Kirilenko.
Update: Ovi confirmed.
The two have been dating since last year but took things to the next level this past summer, when Ovechkin enthusiastically followed around and cheered on Kirilenko throughout her bronze medal run at the 2012 London Olympics.
CSN Washington profiled the couple’s relationship in September and speculated on the potential for marriage:
It was during the Olympics that Ovechkin tweeted out photos of him and Kirilenko, including one that showed a large ring on the ring finger of her left hand.
So, is the sound of wedding bells in the air for two of Russia’s most eligible athletes?
Oh, no, Ovechkin said. Just a present from me, that’s all. No engagement. No wedding bells.
At least not yet.
We have a good relationship, he said. Its always nice to have that kind of person around you. Its good.
So, burning question: Did the lockout actually move the engagement along?
With Ovi in Russia playing for Dynamo Moscow, the pair have been closer than ever — Kirilenko recently showed up at a Dynamo game sporting a custom jersey and Ovi recently conducted an interview wearing Kirilenko’s London Olympics towel.
(Image courtesy Ovechkin’s Twitter account)
- Video: Morrow’s goal off the foot stands after review 3
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 7
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 18
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 65
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights