Dec 31, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s getting hitched.
That’s the word on the street, anyway, as Ovechkin’s agent — David Abrutyn of IMG — tweeted news that his client is set to wed longtime girlfriend and tennis star Maria Kirilenko.
Update: Ovi confirmed.
The two have been dating since last year but took things to the next level this past summer, when Ovechkin enthusiastically followed around and cheered on Kirilenko throughout her bronze medal run at the 2012 London Olympics.
CSN Washington profiled the couple’s relationship in September and speculated on the potential for marriage:
It was during the Olympics that Ovechkin tweeted out photos of him and Kirilenko, including one that showed a large ring on the ring finger of her left hand.
So, is the sound of wedding bells in the air for two of Russia’s most eligible athletes?
Oh, no, Ovechkin said. Just a present from me, that’s all. No engagement. No wedding bells.
At least not yet.
We have a good relationship, he said. Its always nice to have that kind of person around you. Its good.
So, burning question: Did the lockout actually move the engagement along?
With Ovi in Russia playing for Dynamo Moscow, the pair have been closer than ever — Kirilenko recently showed up at a Dynamo game sporting a custom jersey and Ovi recently conducted an interview wearing Kirilenko’s London Olympics towel.
(Image courtesy Ovechkin’s Twitter account)
- Gomez goes full circle by rejoining Devils on tryout basis 7
- Under Pressure: Jimmy Howard 6
- Looking to make the leap: Anthony Mantha 17
- It’s Detroit Red Wings day on PHT 24
- Under Pressure: Nathan Horton 8
- Will Johansen be the latest Overhardt holdout? 25
- It’s Columbus Blue Jackets day on PHT 16
- Shanahan tasked with ending years of collapses 9
- Looking to make the leap: Peter Holland 1
- Under Pressure: Randy Carlyle 5
- NHL-to-Vegas talks gaining steam (68)
- Report: Bruins need to make a trade (61)
- Sounds like San Jose handled stripping Thornton’s captaincy really well (43)
- Fanspeak: Mats Sundin voted greatest Maple Leaf in franchise history (43)
- Fanspeak: Lemieux (stunner!) voted greatest Penguin in franchise history (41)