Dec 31, 2012, 12:20 PM EDT
Alex Ovechkin‘s getting hitched.
That’s the word on the street, anyway, as Ovechkin’s agent — David Abrutyn of IMG — tweeted news that his client is set to wed longtime girlfriend and tennis star Maria Kirilenko.
Update: Ovi confirmed.
The two have been dating since last year but took things to the next level this past summer, when Ovechkin enthusiastically followed around and cheered on Kirilenko throughout her bronze medal run at the 2012 London Olympics.
CSN Washington profiled the couple’s relationship in September and speculated on the potential for marriage:
It was during the Olympics that Ovechkin tweeted out photos of him and Kirilenko, including one that showed a large ring on the ring finger of her left hand.
So, is the sound of wedding bells in the air for two of Russia’s most eligible athletes?
Oh, no, Ovechkin said. Just a present from me, that’s all. No engagement. No wedding bells.
At least not yet.
We have a good relationship, he said. Its always nice to have that kind of person around you. Its good.
So, burning question: Did the lockout actually move the engagement along?
With Ovi in Russia playing for Dynamo Moscow, the pair have been closer than ever — Kirilenko recently showed up at a Dynamo game sporting a custom jersey and Ovi recently conducted an interview wearing Kirilenko’s London Olympics towel.
(Image courtesy Ovechkin’s Twitter account)
- Kucherov isn’t going to ‘cry’ about Kronwall hit 9
- Nothing but Kuznetsov: Caps best Isles in Game 7 18
- Not done yet: Lightning earn Game 7 against Red Wings 5
- WATCH LIVE: Tonight’s Stanley Cup Playoff action 0
- Blues owner ‘disappointed and frustrated,’ but not ready to ‘throw people under the bus’ 27
- Despite ‘step in the right direction,’ do Canucks need to alter core? 16
- Report: Developers file intent to build arena in Seattle suburb 76
- Rangers lose Zuccarello indefinitely with suspected concussion 8
- Cooper: Lightning have to ‘suck it up’ and ‘fight through’ Wings’ interference 51
- Here’s your Stanley Cup playoff TV schedule for tonight 13
- It’s Done: Rangers eliminate Penguins in overtime (110)
- Another Blues campaign ends in disappoint as Wild advance (98)
- Bettman under fire after saying ‘Katy Perry’ chant wasn’t sexist (92)
- Friedman: Penguins need to ‘think about’ trading Malkin (88)
- Okposo blasts ‘idiot’ Wilson after physical outing versus Isles (82)