Dec 31, 2012, 4:40 PM EST
A month and half after undergoing surgery because he took a puck to the face playing in Finland, Los Angeles Kings defenseman Alec Martinez will step back on the ice. This time around, he’s playing for the CHL’s Allen Americans, according to the Dallas Morning News.
Allen – a suburb of Dallas, TX – is somewhat familiar with attracting pro-level players on sojourns. NFL wide receiver Terrell Owens had a brief jaunt with the Allen Wranglers before the two sides partied ways in a very odd fashion.
Mayor’s Manor John Hoven gives some possible insight regarding how the Americans attracted Martinez: the team is partially owned by Mike Modano.
The 25-year-old blueliner is developing into a serviceable offensive defenseman for the Kings. He played 60 regular season games (12 points) and 20 postseason contests (two points) in 2011-12, averaging more than 14 minutes per night.
Perhaps his stay will be short in Allen if the lockout does end, but in the mean time, the CHL crowd gets to watch a Stanley Cup winner.
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 30
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 4
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 7
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 12
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 23
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 50
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)