Dec 31, 2012, 4:40 PM EDT
A month and half after undergoing surgery because he took a puck to the face playing in Finland, Los Angeles Kings defenseman Alec Martinez will step back on the ice. This time around, he’s playing for the CHL’s Allen Americans, according to the Dallas Morning News.
Allen – a suburb of Dallas, TX – is somewhat familiar with attracting pro-level players on sojourns. NFL wide receiver Terrell Owens had a brief jaunt with the Allen Wranglers before the two sides partied ways in a very odd fashion.
Mayor’s Manor John Hoven gives some possible insight regarding how the Americans attracted Martinez: the team is partially owned by Mike Modano.
The 25-year-old blueliner is developing into a serviceable offensive defenseman for the Kings. He played 60 regular season games (12 points) and 20 postseason contests (two points) in 2011-12, averaging more than 14 minutes per night.
Perhaps his stay will be short in Allen if the lockout does end, but in the mean time, the CHL crowd gets to watch a Stanley Cup winner.
- Video: Crosby scores goal No. 300 for his NHL career 2
- (Video) McKenzie: ‘Best guess is anywhere from 3-5 games’ for Byfuglien suspension 8
- Byfuglien to have phone hearing for Miller cross-check 44
- Patrick Kane is practicing today 30
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 35
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 66
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 35
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 11
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 18
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller (66)
- Minnesota leapfrogs Chicago in the Central Division (65)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Sabres GM Tim Murray: ‘I think too much about’ McDavid (55)
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack (49)