Dec 30, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT
Nail Yakupov added some more fuel to the Canada-Russia hockey rivalry when he reportedly claimed on Monday that the Canadians “play dirty.” Some, like Don Cherry took exception to those remarks and Team Russia subsequently announced that Yakupov wouldn’t be addressing the media again until today.
Meanwhile, Russia and Canada have both won their first three contests of the 2013 World Junior Championship and will battle each other for the top spot in Group B on Monday.
So, as we approach that game and after nearly a week of silence, what does Yakupov have to say about the upcoming match? Nothing that’s likely to draw much criticism.
“Everyone’s going to be watching this match. It’ll be interesting and fun,” Yakupov said, according to R-Sport. “I think the whole world will be watching this match.”
Yakupov added that Russia will “play calmly” in the key contest.
And as for his original remarks?
“I said a different thing,” Yakupov said, according to the Edmonton Journal. When asked to tell the media what he actually did say, he added, “I forgot. I don’t know.”
He’ll be playing against his future Edmonton Oilers teammate and fellow first-overall draft pick, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins on Monday. Nugent-Hopkins leads the tournament with eight points in three games while Yakupov has a goal and three assists in three contests with Russia.
May 26, 2015, 11:34 PM EDT
“Boy, that escalated quickly…”
May 26, 2015, 11:03 PM EDT
Ben Bishop pulled in the third period.
May 26, 2015, 10:29 PM EDT
Timonen is averaging under 10 minutes of ice time per game in playoffs.
May 26, 2015, 9:45 PM EDT
Hadn’t scored since April 4.
May 26, 2015, 9:16 PM EDT
New York scored to make it 2-0 soon after that.
May 26, 2015, 8:52 PM EDT
New York needs the win to force Game 7.
May 26, 2015, 8:13 PM EDT
“We’ve had a lot of informal discussions with people about this, but us or the city have yet to be presented with any kind of offer.”
May 26, 2015, 7:24 PM EDT
New York facing elimination, yet again.
May 26, 2015, 6:29 PM EDT
“I’ve had some people reach out to me,” the Red Wings GM said.
May 26, 2015, 5:24 PM EDT
Meanwhile, GM Doug Armstrong says, “Show me a well-liked coach, and I’ll show you a losing coach.”
May 26, 2015, 4:57 PM EDT
But let’s not call it the end of an era.
May 26, 2015, 4:31 PM EDT
Michael Russo of the StarTribune being the reporter.
May 26, 2015, 3:55 PM EDT
“The Flyers have never intentionally tried to lose. That would put a foul taste in my mouth. “
May 26, 2015, 2:46 PM EDT
“Does he ride guys hard and has he been on my case at times, where it’s made me angry? Yes. But he does it in the light of trying to make our team better, trying to make each individual player better.”
May 26, 2015, 2:14 PM EDT
Had a bad giveaway in Game 5, but those giveaways are going to happen occasionally.
May 26, 2015, 1:30 PM EDT
Could be held out of tonight’s potential series-clinching tilt.
May 26, 2015, 1:10 PM EDT
But there’s nothing imminent, according to his agent.
May 26, 2015, 12:34 PM EDT
The 36-year-old played just 14:44 last night in Anaheim.
May 26, 2015, 11:55 AM EDT
“There has been some discussion and there will continue to be.”
May 26, 2015, 11:35 AM EDT
One more chance to get the Blues over the playoff hump.
- A storm brewing: Rangers rally to force Game 7 with Lightning (Video) 8
- Video: Lundqvist stones Stamkos with left-pad save 0
- Bob Clarke really doesn’t care for tanking 33
- Hitchcock re-signs for one more year in St. Louis 9
- Ducks win crazy Game 5, push ‘Hawks to edge of elimination 32
- WATCH LIVE: Blackhawks at Ducks, Game 5 of Western Conference Final 3
- In the playoffs, sometimes it comes down to the ‘bounces’ 4
- Now feels like a good time to debate Stamkos’ next contract 38
- Here’s the latest on coaching searches in Buffalo, San Jose and New Jersey 3
- Bishop bounced back in Game 5, but did the Rangers test him enough? 9
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (174)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)