Dec 30, 2012, 3:41 PM EDT
Nail Yakupov added some more fuel to the Canada-Russia hockey rivalry when he reportedly claimed on Monday that the Canadians “play dirty.” Some, like Don Cherry took exception to those remarks and Team Russia subsequently announced that Yakupov wouldn’t be addressing the media again until today.
Meanwhile, Russia and Canada have both won their first three contests of the 2013 World Junior Championship and will battle each other for the top spot in Group B on Monday.
So, as we approach that game and after nearly a week of silence, what does Yakupov have to say about the upcoming match? Nothing that’s likely to draw much criticism.
“Everyone’s going to be watching this match. It’ll be interesting and fun,” Yakupov said, according to R-Sport. “I think the whole world will be watching this match.”
Yakupov added that Russia will “play calmly” in the key contest.
And as for his original remarks?
“I said a different thing,” Yakupov said, according to the Edmonton Journal. When asked to tell the media what he actually did say, he added, “I forgot. I don’t know.”
He’ll be playing against his future Edmonton Oilers teammate and fellow first-overall draft pick, Ryan Nugent-Hopkins on Monday. Nugent-Hopkins leads the tournament with eight points in three games while Yakupov has a goal and three assists in three contests with Russia.
- What does Jack Eichel mean to the Buffalo Sabres? 19
- It’s Buffalo Sabres Day at PHT 30
- Bernier, Leafs agree on two-year, $8.3 million deal 26
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? 62
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 71
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 28
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 12
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 41
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal (71)
- How do Voracek, Giroux compare to the most expensive duos? (62)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs (45)
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting (44)