Dec 30, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
After Finland’s loss to the Czech Republic, they had to come up big against Switzerland on Saturday to stay in the competition for a medal.
Switzerland had a 2-0 lead through 20 minutes and went up 4-2 with just 8:30 remaining in regulation time. Still, with the pressure on, Finland kept bouncing back.
Calgary Flames prospect Markus Granlund and Chicago Blackhawks 2012 draft pick Teuvo Teravainen each netted two goals for FInland. After a scoreless overtime period, Granlund beat Swiss goaltender Melvin Nyffeler to end a lengthy shootout.
Both teams now have five points through three games in Group A and are still in control of their own destinies. If Finland beats Sweden on Monday, then they will make the playoffs. Similarly, Switzerland can bounce back from this loss and enter the playoffs if they defeat the Czech Republic on Monday.
The only difference is that Finland can still advance even if they lose, provided that the Czech Republic wins in regulation. However, Switzerland will be sentenced to the relegation round if they lose in regulation time, regardless of the outcome of the Finland vs Sweden match.
In other WJC News…
– Detroit Red Wings prospect Martin Frk scored twice in the Czech Republic’s 4-2 victory over Latvia. Through three games, the Czech Republic sits in second place in Group A with six points. A win against Switzerland on Monday would guarantee the Czech Republic’s entry into the playoffs, but they’ll also clinch if Sweden defeats Finland.
Meanwhile Latvia has completed the preliminary round without earning a single point. They’ll have to play in the four-team relegation Round. The loser of that round robin will not be in the top division for the 2014 World Junior Championship.
– With both teams searching for their first win of the tournament, Slovakia and Germany couldn’t settle their differences in 60 minutes. Slovakia ended up edging Germany early in the overtime period to stay alive in Group B.
Germany will head to the relegation Round after earning one point in four games. Slovakia can still advance to the playoffs if they upset Team USA on Monday. America will be the clear favorite entering that match, but Slovakia was able to make both Russia and Canada work for their wins, so they can’t be ignored.
Mar 9, 2014, 8:01 PM EDT
Mar 9, 2014, 7:29 PM EDT
Patrick Kane comes home.
Mar 9, 2014, 7:12 PM EDT
Brian Elliott gets a rare start for St. Louis.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:05 PM EDT
It might be due to an Ed Jovanovski hit.
Mar 9, 2014, 6:01 PM EDT
It doesn’t sound great for their would-be starter.
Mar 9, 2014, 5:27 PM EDT
Calgary releases a statement on the matter.
Mar 9, 2014, 4:50 PM EDT
Mar 9, 2014, 3:57 PM EDT
The appetite to make a change seems to be growing.
Mar 9, 2014, 3:07 PM EDT
Detroit has lost its Wild Card spot.
Mar 9, 2014, 2:10 PM EDT
The once promising rookie was put on waivers by Ottawa.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:18 PM EDT
He’s scored in every New Jersey game since the Olympics.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:33 PM EDT
That’s on top of all the talent they traded away.
Mar 9, 2014, 11:58 AM EDT
Can Johan Franzen maintain his incredible post-Olympics pace?
Mar 9, 2014, 11:30 AM EDT
The 21-year-old is making the transition from the KHL.
Mar 9, 2014, 10:37 AM EDT
It helped lead St. Louis to its fourth straight win.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:48 AM EDT
Buffalo hasn’t been so bad lately, despite what the team looks like on paper.
Mar 9, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
They both desperately need every point they can get.
Mar 9, 2014, 1:09 AM EDT
A much-needed victory for Vancouver.
Mar 9, 2014, 12:14 AM EDT
Short ones on Saturday.
Mar 8, 2014, 11:32 PM EDT
Roberto Luongo: quiet, so far.
- Extended overtime likely to be on agenda in GMs’ March meeting 23
- Lundqvist shuts out Red Wings to claim 300th victory 9
- NHL on NBCSN: Hawks know they can’t take Sabres lightly 10
- NHL on NBC: Red Wings, Rangers fight to cling onto playoff spots 2
- Video: Flames score center-ice goal against Canucks’ Lack 18
- Stars believe Lehtonen suffered concussion from Haula collision (update) 23
- Video: Stars retire Mike Modano’s jersey 11
- Rostislav Klesla passes on joining Sabres organization following trade 12
- Ryan Murray has knee surgery, likely done for season 1
- Washington finally signs top prospect Kuznetsov 33
- Canucks trade Luongo to Panthers (93)
- BLOCKBUSTER: Lightning trade St. Louis to Rangers for Callahan (82)
- Kings make splash, acquire Gaborik from Columbus (72)
- Report: Canucks want center, top prospect and first-rounder for Kesler (68)
- Steve Moore remains shocked, disgusted about Todd Bertuzzi attack (66)