Dec 30, 2012, 12:22 PM EST
After Finland’s loss to the Czech Republic, they had to come up big against Switzerland on Saturday to stay in the competition for a medal.
Switzerland had a 2-0 lead through 20 minutes and went up 4-2 with just 8:30 remaining in regulation time. Still, with the pressure on, Finland kept bouncing back.
Calgary Flames prospect Markus Granlund and Chicago Blackhawks 2012 draft pick Teuvo Teravainen each netted two goals for FInland. After a scoreless overtime period, Granlund beat Swiss goaltender Melvin Nyffeler to end a lengthy shootout.
Both teams now have five points through three games in Group A and are still in control of their own destinies. If Finland beats Sweden on Monday, then they will make the playoffs. Similarly, Switzerland can bounce back from this loss and enter the playoffs if they defeat the Czech Republic on Monday.
The only difference is that Finland can still advance even if they lose, provided that the Czech Republic wins in regulation. However, Switzerland will be sentenced to the relegation round if they lose in regulation time, regardless of the outcome of the Finland vs Sweden match.
In other WJC News…
– Detroit Red Wings prospect Martin Frk scored twice in the Czech Republic’s 4-2 victory over Latvia. Through three games, the Czech Republic sits in second place in Group A with six points. A win against Switzerland on Monday would guarantee the Czech Republic’s entry into the playoffs, but they’ll also clinch if Sweden defeats Finland.
Meanwhile Latvia has completed the preliminary round without earning a single point. They’ll have to play in the four-team relegation Round. The loser of that round robin will not be in the top division for the 2014 World Junior Championship.
– With both teams searching for their first win of the tournament, Slovakia and Germany couldn’t settle their differences in 60 minutes. Slovakia ended up edging Germany early in the overtime period to stay alive in Group B.
Germany will head to the relegation Round after earning one point in four games. Slovakia can still advance to the playoffs if they upset Team USA on Monday. America will be the clear favorite entering that match, but Slovakia was able to make both Russia and Canada work for their wins, so they can’t be ignored.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:32 AM EST
Tough loss for Vancouver.
Nov 22, 2014, 11:07 AM EST
His goal got the biggest reaction in Columbus on Friday.
Nov 22, 2014, 10:20 AM EST
He’s been hot in the AHL lately.
Nov 22, 2014, 9:45 AM EST
(Waits for “everything” jokes.)
Nov 22, 2014, 1:45 AM EST
Nov 22, 2014, 12:40 AM EST
Booed off the ice at the end of this game.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:52 PM EST
It was nice.
Nov 21, 2014, 11:29 PM EST
Going from bad to worse for Edmonton.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:51 PM EST
Lucic didn’t drop his gloves. Prout did. History between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:17 PM EST
There’s a history between these two.
Nov 21, 2014, 10:02 PM EST
Columbus was leading 2-0 at the time.
Nov 21, 2014, 9:40 PM EST
Ranks seventh in the NHL in ice time.
Nov 21, 2014, 8:49 PM EST
Possible headbutt in this fight?
Nov 21, 2014, 8:11 PM EST
They’ve won big and they’ve lost big.
Nov 21, 2014, 7:14 PM EST
A San Jose draft pick from 2008.
Nov 21, 2014, 6:37 PM EST
Avs call up a trio of players from the AHL.
Nov 21, 2014, 5:31 PM EST
“I really feel bad for him. It appears his parents mismanaged his money.”
Nov 21, 2014, 4:40 PM EST
Pursuant to the “Bona Fide Long-Term Injury Exception” section of the CBA.
Nov 21, 2014, 4:21 PM EST
That’s a guy shoveling snow off his roof in Buffalo.
Nov 21, 2014, 3:43 PM EST
D-man for d-man.
- Report: Dan Hamhuis’ injury is significant, but not season-ending 0
- Been there, done that: Oilers lose five straight for second time this season 7
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ 57
- Video: Prout drops Lucic with one punch 40
- NHL grants Kings cap relief for Voynov, who’s still suspended indefinitely 30
- Trade: Stars get Demers from Sharks, send Dillon to San Jose 17
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now 76
- Dallas signs Jason Spezza to four-year, $30 million extension 18
- Video: Ovechkin with an unreal dangle, scores game-winner 17
- Video: Avs’ Tanguay takes Ovechkin shot to the face (Updated) 4
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (76)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (65)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)
- After Voynov suspension, Lombardi wonders if teams need a ‘cushion’ in case a player is a ‘bank robber, kleptomaniac’ (51)