Dec 30, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
After Finland’s loss to the Czech Republic, they had to come up big against Switzerland on Saturday to stay in the competition for a medal.
Switzerland had a 2-0 lead through 20 minutes and went up 4-2 with just 8:30 remaining in regulation time. Still, with the pressure on, Finland kept bouncing back.
Calgary Flames prospect Markus Granlund and Chicago Blackhawks 2012 draft pick Teuvo Teravainen each netted two goals for FInland. After a scoreless overtime period, Granlund beat Swiss goaltender Melvin Nyffeler to end a lengthy shootout.
Both teams now have five points through three games in Group A and are still in control of their own destinies. If Finland beats Sweden on Monday, then they will make the playoffs. Similarly, Switzerland can bounce back from this loss and enter the playoffs if they defeat the Czech Republic on Monday.
The only difference is that Finland can still advance even if they lose, provided that the Czech Republic wins in regulation. However, Switzerland will be sentenced to the relegation round if they lose in regulation time, regardless of the outcome of the Finland vs Sweden match.
In other WJC News…
– Detroit Red Wings prospect Martin Frk scored twice in the Czech Republic’s 4-2 victory over Latvia. Through three games, the Czech Republic sits in second place in Group A with six points. A win against Switzerland on Monday would guarantee the Czech Republic’s entry into the playoffs, but they’ll also clinch if Sweden defeats Finland.
Meanwhile Latvia has completed the preliminary round without earning a single point. They’ll have to play in the four-team relegation Round. The loser of that round robin will not be in the top division for the 2014 World Junior Championship.
– With both teams searching for their first win of the tournament, Slovakia and Germany couldn’t settle their differences in 60 minutes. Slovakia ended up edging Germany early in the overtime period to stay alive in Group B.
Germany will head to the relegation Round after earning one point in four games. Slovakia can still advance to the playoffs if they upset Team USA on Monday. America will be the clear favorite entering that match, but Slovakia was able to make both Russia and Canada work for their wins, so they can’t be ignored.
May 24, 2013, 8:41 PM EDT
May 24, 2013, 8:00 PM EDT
Including one of his coaching rivals from the QMJHL.
May 24, 2013, 7:01 PM EDT
Dan Bylsma sticking with the same lineup.
May 24, 2013, 6:05 PM EDT
Kevin Prendergast (pictured) and longtime NHL netminder Ron Tugnutt were let go.
May 24, 2013, 5:08 PM EDT
“The NHL remains committed to securing the Coyotes’ future in Glendale under new ownership, and we believe Don’s long-term agreement evidences that he is equally committed,” said the deputy commish.
May 24, 2013, 4:28 PM EDT
He’s missed the entire series with a broken hand.
May 24, 2013, 4:27 PM EDT
Craig MacTavish has a few things he’d like in return.
May 24, 2013, 3:20 PM EDT
“Hopefully, we’ll find that chemistry,” says Spezza.
May 24, 2013, 3:14 PM EDT
Just a few days after turfing assistant coach Peter Horachek.
May 24, 2013, 2:51 PM EDT
Aside from, you know, facing elimination from the Stanley Cup playoffs.
May 24, 2013, 2:47 PM EDT
Chin up, rookie.
May 24, 2013, 2:11 PM EDT
Say hello to Curtis McElhinney.
May 24, 2013, 2:08 PM EDT
Torts not expected to make any lineup changes.
May 24, 2013, 1:51 PM EDT
Rangers’ blueliner saw plenty of action in Game 4, though.
May 24, 2013, 1:31 PM EDT
If so, do you like it?
May 24, 2013, 1:12 PM EDT
He was Guy Boucher’s right-hand man, so no huge surprise.
May 24, 2013, 12:59 PM EDT
The postgame comment that just won’t go away.
May 24, 2013, 12:40 PM EDT
The Red Wings’ star may go back to Russia after next season.
May 24, 2013, 11:48 AM EDT
Back in Vegas next year.
May 24, 2013, 11:15 AM EDT
Rare criticism for the Blackhawks’ captain.
- Maloney signs long-term contract as Coyotes GM 4
- Playoffs Tonight: Penguins aim to finish off Senators 17
- Kings’ Quick ‘didn’t have to work hard’ in shutout win over Sharks 7
- Discuss: Kings dominate Game 5, one win away from Western Conference final 22
- Discuss: Red Wings take 3-1 series lead 64
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win 85
- What they’re saying about the Avs hiring Patrick Roy 9
- It’s official: Colorado names Roy sixth head coach in franchise history 56
- Couture accuses Kings captain Brown of diving 38
- Three reasons why the Rangers might buy out Richards 26
- Report: NHLPA director Fehr wants to address issue of fighting (113)
- Question for commenters: What, if anything, needs to be done about the officiating? (101)
- Discuss: Bruins rally in third, take 3-0 series lead (99)
- Discuss: Detroit takes 2-1 series lead vs. Chicago (95)
- Discuss: Rangers stay alive with OT win (85)
- Watch LIVE: Pens-Sens, Game 5
- Tiger, LeBron and bids to be the best that ever lived
- PBT: Pacers must take back paint to beat Heat
- HBT: A-Rod sells Miami home for $30 million
- PST: Key battles for Champions League final
- Struggling Blackhawks on brink of elimination
- PHT: Wings push Blackhawks to brink | Highlights