Dec 30, 2012, 12:22 PM EST
After Finland’s loss to the Czech Republic, they had to come up big against Switzerland on Saturday to stay in the competition for a medal.
Switzerland had a 2-0 lead through 20 minutes and went up 4-2 with just 8:30 remaining in regulation time. Still, with the pressure on, Finland kept bouncing back.
Calgary Flames prospect Markus Granlund and Chicago Blackhawks 2012 draft pick Teuvo Teravainen each netted two goals for FInland. After a scoreless overtime period, Granlund beat Swiss goaltender Melvin Nyffeler to end a lengthy shootout.
Both teams now have five points through three games in Group A and are still in control of their own destinies. If Finland beats Sweden on Monday, then they will make the playoffs. Similarly, Switzerland can bounce back from this loss and enter the playoffs if they defeat the Czech Republic on Monday.
The only difference is that Finland can still advance even if they lose, provided that the Czech Republic wins in regulation. However, Switzerland will be sentenced to the relegation round if they lose in regulation time, regardless of the outcome of the Finland vs Sweden match.
In other WJC News…
— Detroit Red Wings prospect Martin Frk scored twice in the Czech Republic’s 4-2 victory over Latvia. Through three games, the Czech Republic sits in second place in Group A with six points. A win against Switzerland on Monday would guarantee the Czech Republic’s entry into the playoffs, but they’ll also clinch if Sweden defeats Finland.
Meanwhile Latvia has completed the preliminary round without earning a single point. They’ll have to play in the four-team relegation Round. The loser of that round robin will not be in the top division for the 2014 World Junior Championship.
— With both teams searching for their first win of the tournament, Slovakia and Germany couldn’t settle their differences in 60 minutes. Slovakia ended up edging Germany early in the overtime period to stay alive in Group B.
Germany will head to the relegation Round after earning one point in four games. Slovakia can still advance to the playoffs if they upset Team USA on Monday. America will be the clear favorite entering that match, but Slovakia was able to make both Russia and Canada work for their wins, so they can’t be ignored.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:47 AM EST
Four straight wins for Anaheim.
Mar 5, 2015, 1:04 AM EST
Fighting for tops in the Metropolitan Division.
Mar 5, 2015, 12:19 AM EST
What a roll he and the Sens are on.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:36 PM EST
He’s been consistently putting the puck in the net at the NHL level since 1996.
Mar 4, 2015, 11:06 PM EST
What better way to make an impression on new teammates.
Mar 4, 2015, 10:40 PM EST
Mar 4, 2015, 9:49 PM EST
Big Buff out could be a Big Loss for Winnipeg.
Mar 4, 2015, 9:26 PM EST
Good news for NYR.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:48 PM EST
Big Buff doing Big Buff things.
Mar 4, 2015, 8:26 PM EST
Also, for causing “significant injury.”
Mar 4, 2015, 7:23 PM EST
8 p.m. ET, on NBCSN
Mar 4, 2015, 6:50 PM EST
“It’s definitely an issue that needs a collective focus from our managers and the league in terms of how to deal with it.”
Mar 4, 2015, 6:18 PM EST
“It’s probably undeniable that down the road when [Chara] is done with his career, if Bergeron is here it would be pretty hard to not make him the next captain.”
Mar 4, 2015, 5:30 PM EST
An Original Six matchup at the Joe.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:43 PM EST
Has appeared in just three games for the Blue Jackets since being traded from Toronto.
Mar 4, 2015, 4:13 PM EST
‘Hawks are hoping he can “recapture” his early-season form.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:32 PM EST
Hurt it in practice.
Mar 4, 2015, 3:04 PM EST
Another small crowd last night at BB&T Center.
Mar 4, 2015, 2:28 PM EST
News and notes from around the crease…
Mar 4, 2015, 2:09 PM EST
“You can never have too many d-men at this time of the year.”
- Video: Zidlicky’s first goal with Detroit gives Red Wings OT win over Rangers 23
- Video: P.K. Subban illustrates hockey instincts through GoPro camera perspective 1
- Video: Lundqvist could be back in 10 to 14 days 5
- Isles’ Martin suspended one game for ‘reckless’ knee on Daley 11
- More bad luck for the B’s — Connolly out 6 weeks with fractured finger 21
- Fehr willing to give Panthers ‘a reasonable opportunity’ to redevelop market 49
- Video: Isles’ Martin to face hearing for ‘stupid’ knee-on-knee hit 39
- NHL on NBCSN: Reloaded Red Wings, Rangers set to battle tonight 51
- Bernier bests Panthers as Luongo goes from injured (and in street clothes) to back in net 4
- Phaneuf, Cuthbert and Lupul threaten lawsuit after tweet goes to air 59
- Wild beat Avs, dying seconds fight set stage for rematch (171)
- Petrovic: Chicago will ‘probably seek revenge’ for Kane injury tonight (82)
- Winners and losers of the 2015 trade deadline (78)
- Trade: Blackhawks acquire Vermette from Arizona for Dahlbeck, first rounder (74)
- Wings get Zidlicky from Devils (74)