Dec 30, 2012, 12:22 PM EDT
After Finland’s loss to the Czech Republic, they had to come up big against Switzerland on Saturday to stay in the competition for a medal.
Switzerland had a 2-0 lead through 20 minutes and went up 4-2 with just 8:30 remaining in regulation time. Still, with the pressure on, Finland kept bouncing back.
Calgary Flames prospect Markus Granlund and Chicago Blackhawks 2012 draft pick Teuvo Teravainen each netted two goals for FInland. After a scoreless overtime period, Granlund beat Swiss goaltender Melvin Nyffeler to end a lengthy shootout.
Both teams now have five points through three games in Group A and are still in control of their own destinies. If Finland beats Sweden on Monday, then they will make the playoffs. Similarly, Switzerland can bounce back from this loss and enter the playoffs if they defeat the Czech Republic on Monday.
The only difference is that Finland can still advance even if they lose, provided that the Czech Republic wins in regulation. However, Switzerland will be sentenced to the relegation round if they lose in regulation time, regardless of the outcome of the Finland vs Sweden match.
In other WJC News…
– Detroit Red Wings prospect Martin Frk scored twice in the Czech Republic’s 4-2 victory over Latvia. Through three games, the Czech Republic sits in second place in Group A with six points. A win against Switzerland on Monday would guarantee the Czech Republic’s entry into the playoffs, but they’ll also clinch if Sweden defeats Finland.
Meanwhile Latvia has completed the preliminary round without earning a single point. They’ll have to play in the four-team relegation Round. The loser of that round robin will not be in the top division for the 2014 World Junior Championship.
– With both teams searching for their first win of the tournament, Slovakia and Germany couldn’t settle their differences in 60 minutes. Slovakia ended up edging Germany early in the overtime period to stay alive in Group B.
Germany will head to the relegation Round after earning one point in four games. Slovakia can still advance to the playoffs if they upset Team USA on Monday. America will be the clear favorite entering that match, but Slovakia was able to make both Russia and Canada work for their wins, so they can’t be ignored.
Aug 20, 2014, 10:01 AM EDT
And assigned to a U.S. District Judge in Minnesota.
Aug 20, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
It’s OK Alex, Claude Noel is gone now.
Aug 20, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
They hope to improve on their first round loss to the Rangers.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:00 PM EDT
It’s been a good summer in Dallas.
Aug 19, 2014, 10:00 PM EDT
Yeah, we don’t get it either.
Aug 19, 2014, 8:45 PM EDT
He’s not going out of his way for it, however.
Aug 19, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
You earn a lot of votes winning a Stanley Cup.
Aug 19, 2014, 6:30 PM EDT
He had a down season and worse playoffs last year.
Aug 19, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
Will the Rangers reap the benefits?
Aug 19, 2014, 4:45 PM EDT
Can the former 15th overall pick establish himself as a full-time NHLer?
Aug 19, 2014, 4:44 PM EDT
He was second on the team in goals last season.
Aug 19, 2014, 3:40 PM EDT
Capology and Corsi gone wild in Toronto.
Aug 19, 2014, 2:37 PM EDT
It’s 105 games long and — perhaps most importantly — starts in just 33 days.
Aug 19, 2014, 1:35 PM EDT
Pending NHL Board of Governors approval.
Aug 19, 2014, 1:23 PM EDT
After just one year on the job?
Aug 19, 2014, 12:29 PM EDT
And his agent says NHL teams are now expressing an interest.
Aug 19, 2014, 11:26 AM EDT
It’s quite the honor to wear the “C” on Broadway.
Aug 19, 2014, 10:35 AM EDT
So much for the trial of the decade.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:57 AM EDT
Former North Dakota star had 25 goals for AHL Hartford last year.
Aug 19, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
There are murmurs about a training camp tryout.
- It’s Philadelphia Flyers Day at PHT 13
- Kovalev compares Subban to Leetch, says he isn’t worth the money 28
- Under pressure: Rick Nash 8
- Wang sells Isles to ex-Caps owner Ledecky 41
- Report: MLSE CEO Leiweke to step down (Update: Leiweke denies move) 5
- Report: Bertuzzi-Moore case settled out of court (Update: Bertuzzi’s lawyer confirms) 34
- Poll: Will Washington get back into the playoffs? 28
- Buffalo lands next two NHL scouting combines 25
- Under Pressure: In Washington? Take your pick 24
- It’s Washington Capitals day on PHT 42