Dec 30, 2012, 9:24 AM EST
Team USA challenged Canadian goaltender Malcolm Subban early and often, but no one could get anything by the Boston Bruins prospect until USA’s Jacob Trouba finally netted a power-play goal with 8:58 remaining in regulation time. That proved to be too little, too late.
Subban turned aside 36 of 37 shots as Team Canada earned a critical 2-1 victory against Team USA.
“Outstanding,” Edmonton Oilers forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins said of Subban, according to TSN. “There’s not much else you can say there. He was there from the first minute to the last and with goaltending like that, you get that much more comfortable up front.”
Nugent-Hopkins and Ryan Strome accounted for Team Canada’s two goals Saturday. Although he ultimately recorded the loss, Anaheim Ducks prospect John Gibson deserves credit for keeping this game close and stopping 30 Canadian shots.
After winning three straight games, Team Canada has guaranteed themselves a spot in the playoffs. They will face Russia on Monday to conclude the preliminary round schedule and can advance directly to the semifinals with a win.
Team USA will compete against Slovakia at 5:00 a.m. ET (the game will be live streamed on NHL.com) and the winner of that match will advance to the quarterfinals while the loser will be sent to the relegation round. Team USA ended up in the relegation round last year and went into this tournament hoping to avoid a similar fate.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:37 AM EST
Canucks rookie who models his game after Jonathan Toews has four points in his last two games.
Nov 24, 2014, 11:12 AM EST
Click for video of said “mistake.”
Nov 24, 2014, 11:05 AM EST
Two-time Jack Adams winner coached Canada to Olympic gold in 2002.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:55 AM EST
The new Holmstrom?
Nov 24, 2014, 10:23 AM EST
The latter’s in response to Roman Polak’s injury.
Nov 24, 2014, 10:03 AM EST
The Penguins in general have been spending a lot of time in the sin bin.
Nov 24, 2014, 9:22 AM EST
He’ll be in Tampa Bay for the first time since the move on Wednesday.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:44 AM EST
David Pastrnak might make his NHL debut.
Nov 24, 2014, 8:02 AM EST
Monday’s collection of links.
Nov 24, 2014, 2:35 AM EST
He was 84.
Nov 24, 2014, 1:14 AM EST
Suffered a lower body injury Thursday night.
Nov 24, 2014, 12:50 AM EST
Arizona was playing in the second game of a back-to-back.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:33 PM EST
Keeps the game tied 1-1 in the second.
Nov 23, 2014, 11:00 PM EST
Colorado returns to action on Tuesday night in Arizona.
Nov 23, 2014, 10:15 PM EST
Playing in his 1,000th NHL game tonight.
Nov 23, 2014, 9:15 PM EST
Didn’t get a penalty for bumping into the goaltender.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:58 PM EST
Scores his eighth of the season.
Nov 23, 2014, 8:45 PM EST
Was stretchered off the ice Saturday night.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:45 PM EST
Beauchemin and Perry have already missed games due to the disease this season.
Nov 23, 2014, 7:30 PM EST
Had two goals in two AHL games.
- Pat Quinn, ‘one of hockey’s most respected individuals,’ has died 5
- NHL on NBCSN: Bruins seek perfect game vs. Penguins 3
- Legendary hockey coach Viktor Tikhonov has died 8
- Canucks’ Hamhuis placed on IR 3
- Firing Dallas Eakins ‘would be so unfair,’ says Taylor Hall 31
- ‘It sucks for us, it sucks for the fans’: Oilers losing skid hits six games 17
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ 97
- ‘We did not want to disrespect our fans’: Leafs salute supporters after beating Red Wings 5
- Video: Demers sends Stoll flying with massive open-ice hit 8
- Don Cherry on Leafs not saluting fans: ‘I couldn’t believe these guys would do something like this’ 16
- Video: Milan Lucic calls Dalton Prout one-punch ‘gutless’ (97)
- Prout drops Lucic: ‘As far as I was concerned we were engaged in a fight’ (87)
- The Leafs didn’t salute their fans last night, so that’s a thing now (78)
- Jack Johnson filed for bankruptcy, parents allegedly took advantage of him (58)
- Wild put Harding on waivers (Updated) (52)