Dec 30, 2012, 9:24 AM EDT
Team USA challenged Canadian goaltender Malcolm Subban early and often, but no one could get anything by the Boston Bruins prospect until USA’s Jacob Trouba finally netted a power-play goal with 8:58 remaining in regulation time. That proved to be too little, too late.
Subban turned aside 36 of 37 shots as Team Canada earned a critical 2-1 victory against Team USA.
“Outstanding,” Edmonton Oilers forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins said of Subban, according to TSN. “There’s not much else you can say there. He was there from the first minute to the last and with goaltending like that, you get that much more comfortable up front.”
Nugent-Hopkins and Ryan Strome accounted for Team Canada’s two goals Saturday. Although he ultimately recorded the loss, Anaheim Ducks prospect John Gibson deserves credit for keeping this game close and stopping 30 Canadian shots.
After winning three straight games, Team Canada has guaranteed themselves a spot in the playoffs. They will face Russia on Monday to conclude the preliminary round schedule and can advance directly to the semifinals with a win.
Team USA will compete against Slovakia at 5:00 a.m. ET (the game will be live streamed on NHL.com) and the winner of that match will advance to the quarterfinals while the loser will be sent to the relegation round. Team USA ended up in the relegation round last year and went into this tournament hoping to avoid a similar fate.
- Injuries piling up as preseason schedule begins 0
- Report: Johansen has gotten no shortage of KHL offers 26
- Update: Drouin out with upper body injury, not expected to miss preseason 1
- Report: NHL officials to participate in preseason without new CBA 1
- Evander Kane: I know I can score 50 goals 13
- ‘C’-less Thornton comes out swing against Wilson’s ‘tomorrow team’ talk 18
- Joe Sakic’s now general manager in name too 6
- Update: Giroux out two weeks with lower-body injury 26
- Update: Crosby on ice with Penguins teammates Friday, leaves early 5
- Ouch: Wild reportedly suspend Harding for ‘non-hockey injury’ 28
- Heeeeeere’s Johnny! Davidson shreds Johansen’s agent for ‘baffling, nonsensical’ contract demands (65)
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman (56)
- Jackets reveal Johansen offers — including an eight year, $46M deal (55)
- Will the NHL publicize divers? (48)
- No icing on the PK? The USHL will see how that looks (43)