Dec 30, 2012, 9:24 AM EDT
Team USA challenged Canadian goaltender Malcolm Subban early and often, but no one could get anything by the Boston Bruins prospect until USA’s Jacob Trouba finally netted a power-play goal with 8:58 remaining in regulation time. That proved to be too little, too late.
Subban turned aside 36 of 37 shots as Team Canada earned a critical 2-1 victory against Team USA.
“Outstanding,” Edmonton Oilers forward Ryan Nugent-Hopkins said of Subban, according to TSN. “There’s not much else you can say there. He was there from the first minute to the last and with goaltending like that, you get that much more comfortable up front.”
Nugent-Hopkins and Ryan Strome accounted for Team Canada’s two goals Saturday. Although he ultimately recorded the loss, Anaheim Ducks prospect John Gibson deserves credit for keeping this game close and stopping 30 Canadian shots.
After winning three straight games, Team Canada has guaranteed themselves a spot in the playoffs. They will face Russia on Monday to conclude the preliminary round schedule and can advance directly to the semifinals with a win.
Team USA will compete against Slovakia at 5:00 a.m. ET (the game will be live streamed on NHL.com) and the winner of that match will advance to the quarterfinals while the loser will be sent to the relegation round. Team USA ended up in the relegation round last year and went into this tournament hoping to avoid a similar fate.
- (Video) McKenzie: NHLPA ‘entirely on board’ with Voynov suspension 1
- If allegations are true, will Kings welcome Voynov back into their ‘special’ group? 22
- Rutherford on Fleury: ‘As long as I’m the GM, he’ll be our goalie’ 15
- Datsyuk will play tonight in Montreal 4
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers take on ‘Hawks in Chicago 8
- Jets’ Maurice apologizes for using the F-bomb at a reporter 30
- Video: Oilers win…? Oilers win! 3
- Bruins’ Miller out indefinitely after dislocating shoulder in fight 29
- Voynov released on $50K bond; NHL says ‘circumstances were different’ in Varlamov case 36
- Here are your top 5 and bottom 5 goalies of the young NHL season 13
- Source: Lucic fined $5k for gesture vs. Habs (Confirmed) (121)
- Updated: Kings’ Voynov arrested for domestic assault, suspended indefinitely (78)
- Video: Bruins’ Lucic gestures to Habs fans after late penalty (59)
- ‘It’s stupid': Tempers flare after Kesler’s late charge on Granlund (54)
- Lucic apologizes for obscene gesture: ‘I’m obviously not proud of what I did there’ (45)