Dec 30, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
Monday’s planned CBA meetingss will have the biggest impact on NHL players, but tomorrow’s Spengler Cup final matchup should be a fun follow for those who’ve grown tired of the cyclical soap opera.
In fact, Davos vs. Team Canada might just provide the best competition between NHL players in 2012-13* if the lockout eats the entire season.
Canada comes in as favorite
Likely favorite Canada steamrolled through Fribourg on Sunday with a 5-1 win. Matt Duchene reflected upon the team’s quick-building chemistry to the Canadian Press after his two-goal, one-assist performance.
“From top to bottom it’s been such a good dynamic in the room,” Duchene said. “In our first game we had some tough luck, but we’ve used it as a stepping stone and our chemistry has been awesome.”
It’s easier to build chemistry when you have such a plethora of talent; the Canadian team really shines at the forward position in particular with Duchene, Jason Spezza, John Tavares, Patrice Bergeron and Tyler Seguin among its standouts.
Davos could be dangerous
Canada has a significant edge in its quantity of NHL players, yet Davos’ roster is nothing to sneeze at.
Kane is joined by Loui Eriksson and Petr Sykora, but Thornton’s presence might make things especially interesting. Will there be mixed feelings for Canadian-born Thornton on Monday?
Either way, it sounds like it could be a really fun game, even if it also reminds us of everything we’re missing.
* – Especially since charitable games feature defense that’s as loose as an All-Star game.
Apr 1, 2015, 9:37 AM EDT
Philly’s beaten its local rival six times in a row.
Apr 1, 2015, 8:36 AM EDT
Also: Alex Ovechkin’s peerless goal-scoring work and other links.
Apr 1, 2015, 1:41 AM EDT
Could the Vancouver forward be facing further discipline from the league?
Apr 1, 2015, 1:17 AM EDT
Tampa Bay is in a battle for the Atlantic Division.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:40 AM EDT
No call on that play.
Apr 1, 2015, 12:04 AM EDT
That’s big for Ottawa.
Mar 31, 2015, 11:31 PM EDT
This was an eventful game.
Mar 31, 2015, 10:57 PM EDT
Could supplemental discipline be on the way?
Mar 31, 2015, 10:09 PM EDT
Florida had the lead in the third period.
Mar 31, 2015, 9:38 PM EDT
Could Vancouver’s veteran defenseman be looking at a suspension?
Mar 31, 2015, 8:58 PM EDT
Scored 32 goals in 37 games this season.
Mar 31, 2015, 8:13 PM EDT
Mar 31, 2015, 7:59 PM EDT
Joins Bossy, Gretzky, Dionne, Lafleur and Lemieux.
Mar 31, 2015, 7:49 PM EDT
3rd-round pick if it happens after the season, 2nd-rounder if it happens in-season.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:59 PM EDT
University of Minnesota blueliner inching closer to free agency.
Mar 31, 2015, 6:41 PM EDT
So the Hart will not, as some have suggested, become the Gretzky.
Mar 31, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
Blackhawks duo “had a good thing going.”
Mar 31, 2015, 4:32 PM EDT
Not just a team that scores a lot of goals.
Mar 31, 2015, 3:38 PM EDT
Could really use a win tonight versus the Rangers.
Mar 31, 2015, 2:40 PM EDT
“I can speak from experience that home ice matters.”
- NHL on NBCSN: Flyers won’t fool with Penguins on Rivalry Night 0
- ‘Could’ve broken his neck,’ says Vigneault of Byfuglien cross check on Miller 40
- Video: Byfuglien gets away with ugly cross check, penalized late in Jets loss to Rangers 29
- Video: Lucic scores late winner, Bruins deal crushing blow to Panthers playoff hopes 9
- Video: Ovi becomes sixth player in history to record six 50-goal seasons 15
- ‘Almost like a game seven tonight’ for Bruins, Panthers 15
- Report: Warrant issued for Deveaux’s arrest following Swedish league attack 47
- How bad are things for the Kings after Monday? 22
- Lightning clinch playoff berth, but did they lose Hedman? 9
- Blackhawks tease good injury news for Kane 8