Dec 30, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
Monday’s planned CBA meetingss will have the biggest impact on NHL players, but tomorrow’s Spengler Cup final matchup should be a fun follow for those who’ve grown tired of the cyclical soap opera.
In fact, Davos vs. Team Canada might just provide the best competition between NHL players in 2012-13* if the lockout eats the entire season.
Canada comes in as favorite
Likely favorite Canada steamrolled through Fribourg on Sunday with a 5-1 win. Matt Duchene reflected upon the team’s quick-building chemistry to the Canadian Press after his two-goal, one-assist performance.
“From top to bottom it’s been such a good dynamic in the room,” Duchene said. “In our first game we had some tough luck, but we’ve used it as a stepping stone and our chemistry has been awesome.”
It’s easier to build chemistry when you have such a plethora of talent; the Canadian team really shines at the forward position in particular with Duchene, Jason Spezza, John Tavares, Patrice Bergeron and Tyler Seguin among its standouts.
Davos could be dangerous
Canada has a significant edge in its quantity of NHL players, yet Davos’ roster is nothing to sneeze at.
Kane is joined by Loui Eriksson and Petr Sykora, but Thornton’s presence might make things especially interesting. Will there be mixed feelings for Canadian-born Thornton on Monday?
Either way, it sounds like it could be a really fun game, even if it also reminds us of everything we’re missing.
* – Especially since charitable games feature defense that’s as loose as an All-Star game.
May 23, 2015, 12:26 AM EDT
But will it last?
May 22, 2015, 11:42 PM EDT
Kucherov, Paquette, and Glass all receive misconduct penalties.
May 22, 2015, 11:10 PM EDT
The score was one-sided, but this game could have gone the other way if not for the Rangers’ netminder.
May 22, 2015, 10:40 PM EDT
Leon Draisaitl’s late goal can’t turn the tide.
May 22, 2015, 9:53 PM EDT
Keith Yandle got his first marker of the playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 9:04 PM EDT
Will we see more goals like that from him before the playoffs are over?
May 22, 2015, 8:08 PM EDT
All three of their teams are still in the running for the Stanley Cup.
May 22, 2015, 7:35 PM EDT
San Jose has been linked to several high profile coaches.
May 22, 2015, 6:31 PM EDT
He was credited with turning around the Red Wings’ power play.
May 22, 2015, 6:01 PM EDT
Will New York be able to contain Tampa Bay this time around?
May 22, 2015, 5:30 PM EDT
“No one wants to back up. Everyone wants to play.”
May 22, 2015, 4:34 PM EDT
Not only did the Ducks block 27 shots last night, they clogged up the neutral zone too.
May 22, 2015, 3:25 PM EDT
Can’t imagine Teuvo Teravainen was, either.
May 22, 2015, 2:24 PM EDT
Canucks GM witnessed the goalie get a shutout in the AHL playoffs.
May 22, 2015, 1:41 PM EDT
Coach Q: “He’ll need a few days out here. We’ll get an evaluation and go from there.”
May 22, 2015, 1:38 PM EDT
Son of ex-NHLer Brian is off to Boston University next year.
May 22, 2015, 1:05 PM EDT
“It’s been real special, to say the least.”
May 22, 2015, 12:47 PM EDT
The third ‘tender taken at the 2012 NHL Entry Draft had a rough first pro season in North America.
May 22, 2015, 12:30 PM EDT
Finnish forward joined the organization last year after solid production in the SM-liiga.
May 22, 2015, 12:21 PM EDT
That’s him, with Vladimir Putin.
- Comeback fit for a King: Lundqvist, Rangers even series in Game 4 12
- WATCH LIVE: Rangers at Lightning, Game 4 of Eastern Conference Final 6
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL 38
- All eyes on Lundqvist 10
- Quenneville opted for ‘fresh legs’ by inserting Nordstrom, Versteeg into lineup 12
- Video: Ducks hold off Blackhawks in Game 3 to take series lead 30
- (Video) PHT Extra: On Babcock, sticking to the process and housebuilding analogies 3
- Babcock predicts ‘pain’ for Leafs, who are a ‘massive, massive challenge’ 39
- Babcock wants to ‘put Canada’s team back on the map’ 48
- Flyers won’t trade Del Zotto, but ‘something will have to give’ on crowded blue line 26
- Reports: Sabres thought they had a deal with Babcock, aren’t happy (172)
- Leafs land Babcock with reported 8-year deal, estimated at $50 million (130)
- Russia to be punished for ‘completely out of order’ actions after Worlds final loss to Canada (91)
- Report: Sabres negotiating with Babcock (82)
- What’s wrong with Lundqvist? (70)