Dec 30, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
Monday’s planned CBA meetingss will have the biggest impact on NHL players, but tomorrow’s Spengler Cup final matchup should be a fun follow for those who’ve grown tired of the cyclical soap opera.
In fact, Davos vs. Team Canada might just provide the best competition between NHL players in 2012-13* if the lockout eats the entire season.
Canada comes in as favorite
Likely favorite Canada steamrolled through Fribourg on Sunday with a 5-1 win. Matt Duchene reflected upon the team’s quick-building chemistry to the Canadian Press after his two-goal, one-assist performance.
“From top to bottom it’s been such a good dynamic in the room,” Duchene said. “In our first game we had some tough luck, but we’ve used it as a stepping stone and our chemistry has been awesome.”
It’s easier to build chemistry when you have such a plethora of talent; the Canadian team really shines at the forward position in particular with Duchene, Jason Spezza, John Tavares, Patrice Bergeron and Tyler Seguin among its standouts.
Davos could be dangerous
Canada has a significant edge in its quantity of NHL players, yet Davos’ roster is nothing to sneeze at.
Kane is joined by Loui Eriksson and Petr Sykora, but Thornton’s presence might make things especially interesting. Will there be mixed feelings for Canadian-born Thornton on Monday?
Either way, it sounds like it could be a really fun game, even if it also reminds us of everything we’re missing.
* – Especially since charitable games feature defense that’s as loose as an All-Star game.
Jul 30, 2014, 9:30 PM EDT
They’ll face off against Canada and Russia at a tournament in Toronto next week.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:30 PM EDT
Acquired last season in exchange for Krys Barch.
Jul 30, 2014, 7:30 PM EDT
“We’re moving along on that.”
Jul 30, 2014, 6:28 PM EDT
“We haven’t approached it in that respect.”
Jul 30, 2014, 5:30 PM EDT
This time, it features just one plaintiff — former Bruin Jon Rohloff.
Jul 30, 2014, 4:34 PM EDT
Alternate captain notched a career-high in goals last year.
Jul 30, 2014, 3:30 PM EDT
“Usually this isn’t the time to fight for the big contract.”
Jul 30, 2014, 2:35 PM EDT
Jim Hiller is hoping to follow in the footsteps of Todd McLellan, Paul MacLean, and Bill Peters.
Jul 30, 2014, 1:28 PM EDT
Finnish club is moving to the KHL next season.
Jul 30, 2014, 12:17 PM EDT
Arbitration hearing is scheduled for Thursday.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:28 AM EDT
After not giving him a qualifying offer.
Jul 30, 2014, 11:12 AM EDT
That’s Lacroix, when he was an assistant for Tampa Bay.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:44 AM EDT
Jim Hiller and Andrew Brewer join Tony Granato, who’s also new.
Jul 30, 2014, 10:30 AM EDT
Jul 30, 2014, 10:10 AM EDT
Will this all get settled before Friday’s hearing?
Jul 30, 2014, 9:00 AM EDT
Tell us how you really feel, Brad.
Jul 30, 2014, 8:00 AM EDT
Kings captain meets Rangers fan. Hi-jinx ensue.
Jul 29, 2014, 10:02 PM EDT
From 64 (mercurial) to 10 (gritty!)
Jul 29, 2014, 9:02 PM EDT
Now battling Bon Jovi and Donald Trump!
Jul 29, 2014, 8:00 PM EDT
“This has been a difficult decision for Kevin.”
- Agent: Subban hasn’t told me to make him NHL’s highest-paid D 16
- Devils sign Greene to five-year, $25M extension 10
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million 42
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ 54
- Gettin’ paid: Gardiner inks five-year, $20.25M extension with Leafs 15
- Report: Trottier to join Sabres’ coaching staff 19
- Blues sign former eighth overall pick Mueller 31
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center 45
- Eric Staal has surgery to repair ‘core muscle injury’ 6
- After not seeing ‘eye-to-eye’ with Carlyle, Reimer will compete for No. 1 gig 16
- Cashing in: Rangers sign Brassard to five-year, $25 million deal (63)
- Marchand on Plekanec: ‘I hate him. I can’t stand him’ (55)
- Trotz plans to let Johansson, Kuznetsov, and Burakovsky compete for time at center (45)
- Subban seeking $8.5 million in arbitration, versus the Habs at $5.25 million (43)
- Richards: If not for the cap, half the league would want to play for Hawks (36)