Dec 30, 2012, 7:50 PM EDT
Monday’s planned CBA meetingss will have the biggest impact on NHL players, but tomorrow’s Spengler Cup final matchup should be a fun follow for those who’ve grown tired of the cyclical soap opera.
In fact, Davos vs. Team Canada might just provide the best competition between NHL players in 2012-13* if the lockout eats the entire season.
Canada comes in as favorite
Likely favorite Canada steamrolled through Fribourg on Sunday with a 5-1 win. Matt Duchene reflected upon the team’s quick-building chemistry to the Canadian Press after his two-goal, one-assist performance.
“From top to bottom it’s been such a good dynamic in the room,” Duchene said. “In our first game we had some tough luck, but we’ve used it as a stepping stone and our chemistry has been awesome.”
It’s easier to build chemistry when you have such a plethora of talent; the Canadian team really shines at the forward position in particular with Duchene, Jason Spezza, John Tavares, Patrice Bergeron and Tyler Seguin among its standouts.
Davos could be dangerous
Canada has a significant edge in its quantity of NHL players, yet Davos’ roster is nothing to sneeze at.
Kane is joined by Loui Eriksson and Petr Sykora, but Thornton’s presence might make things especially interesting. Will there be mixed feelings for Canadian-born Thornton on Monday?
Either way, it sounds like it could be a really fun game, even if it also reminds us of everything we’re missing.
* – Especially since charitable games feature defense that’s as loose as an All-Star game.
- Update: NHL wants to see fine system in action before publicizing diving 0
- Get your odds to make the playoffs for all 30 NHL teams 11
- Blue Jackets GM to Johansen: It’s about the team, not ‘one guy’ 24
- Will the NHL publicize divers? 48
- Report: NHL, Epix network to partner on Winter Classic reality series 17
- Habs to play without captain for just second time in franchise history 16
- Chiarelli: At some point, I’m going to have to trade a defenseman 53
- Devils post-Martin Brodeur era about to truly start 9
- Report: Rangers expected to announce captain on Thursday 12
- Snider: Flyers not hiding behind ‘horrible mistake’ of signing Bryzgalov 22