Dec 30, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT
“The last two days were informational,” Daly said. “No sense of whether we are as close as Don [Fehr] has suggested. I guess we will find out tomorrow.”
From the sound of that quote, it might be too early to celebrate the announcement of an abbreviated season along with the new year. Of course, this could be yet another spin-cycle in a ride hockey fans wanted to get off of a long time ago.
In other news related to the meetings, Lavoie reports that owners won’t attend the talks on Monday. It’s difficult to say that anything can be read into that decision, although it might indicate that progress might not be as hasty as some would hope.
TSN’s Darren Dreger illuminates things a bit more, stating that the league wants to negotiate the deal as a whole rather than item-by-item.
Meanwhile, the Vancouver Province’s Ben Kuzma provides a little insight on the players’ side.
From what players told me, NHL's quest for $60M cap next season is going to be a tough sell, even with buyout clause. NHLPA wants $67M.—
Ben Kuzma (@benkuzma) December 30, 2012
Ultimately, like Daly said, we’ll get a better sense of how close the two sides really are once Monday rolls around.
- Cory Sarich hospitalized following cycling accident, expects ‘full recovery’ 4
- Stamkos shrugs off talk of LeBron-like homecoming to Toronto in 2016 25
- Avs and O’Reilly agree on two-year deal, but questions remain 31
- Rangers and Kreider avoid arbitration, agree on two-year deal 37
- Zuccarello takes Rangers’ one year, $3.5M deal 42
- Advancement? Leafs sign Booth for one year, $1.1M 25
- Leafs hire 28-year-old stats advocate as assistant GM 30
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 69
- Stars, Roussel agree on four-year, $8 million deal 3
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation 61
- Babcock fires back over allegations that free agents avoid him (77)
- Babcock: Cleary a ‘calculated risk’ after playing last year ‘on one leg’ (70)
- NBC Sports to air over 100 NHL regular-season games in 2014-15 (69)
- Vanek connected to federal gambling investigation (61)
- Report: Zuccarello wants $4.5M per on new deal, Brassard eyeing $5.5M (58)