Dec 30, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT
“The last two days were informational,” Daly said. “No sense of whether we are as close as Don [Fehr] has suggested. I guess we will find out tomorrow.”
From the sound of that quote, it might be too early to celebrate the announcement of an abbreviated season along with the new year. Of course, this could be yet another spin-cycle in a ride hockey fans wanted to get off of a long time ago.
In other news related to the meetings, Lavoie reports that owners won’t attend the talks on Monday. It’s difficult to say that anything can be read into that decision, although it might indicate that progress might not be as hasty as some would hope.
TSN’s Darren Dreger illuminates things a bit more, stating that the league wants to negotiate the deal as a whole rather than item-by-item.
Meanwhile, the Vancouver Province’s Ben Kuzma provides a little insight on the players’ side.
From what players told me, NHL's quest for $60M cap next season is going to be a tough sell, even with buyout clause. NHLPA wants $67M.—
Ben Kuzma (@benkuzma) December 30, 2012
Ultimately, like Daly said, we’ll get a better sense of how close the two sides really are once Monday rolls around.
- Voracek turns monster season into massive eight-year deal 23
- Report: Canucks, Sutter closing in on five-year deal, north of $20M 23
- Voynov serving sentence at jail that once advertised it had flat screen TVs 45
- Report: Bernier and Leafs more than $2 million apart ahead of Friday’s arbitration hearing 10
- Flyers re-sign Couturier: six years, $26 million 40
- Benning calls Sutter a ‘foundation piece’ for Canucks 24
- Here’s a chart that shows which teams have been good/bad at drafting 40
- Penguins sign Fehr to three-year, $6 million contract 22
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening 54
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 58
- He’s baaaaaack: Leafs pull a stunner, hire Lamoriello as GM (Updated) (84)
- Bettman says NHL would have to ‘consider’ putting Quebec City in the Western Conference (70)
- Rangers sign Stepan — six years, $39 million (62)
- NBC Sports to broadcast 105 NHL games in 2015-16 (58)
- Trade: Penguins send Sutter to Canucks for Bonino, Clendening (54)