Dec 30, 2012, 6:20 PM EDT
“The last two days were informational,” Daly said. “No sense of whether we are as close as Don [Fehr] has suggested. I guess we will find out tomorrow.”
From the sound of that quote, it might be too early to celebrate the announcement of an abbreviated season along with the new year. Of course, this could be yet another spin-cycle in a ride hockey fans wanted to get off of a long time ago.
In other news related to the meetings, Lavoie reports that owners won’t attend the talks on Monday. It’s difficult to say that anything can be read into that decision, although it might indicate that progress might not be as hasty as some would hope.
TSN’s Darren Dreger illuminates things a bit more, stating that the league wants to negotiate the deal as a whole rather than item-by-item.
Meanwhile, the Vancouver Province’s Ben Kuzma provides a little insight on the players’ side.
From what players told me, NHL's quest for $60M cap next season is going to be a tough sell, even with buyout clause. NHLPA wants $67M.—
Ben Kuzma (@benkuzma) December 30, 2012
Ultimately, like Daly said, we’ll get a better sense of how close the two sides really are once Monday rolls around.
- Video: Bolts lose Garrison, Paquette in loss to Wings 3
- Bruins ruin Lundqvist’s return 26
- Video: Letang hospitalized after Doan hit (Update) 42
- Bruins chalk Rask’s absence up to dehydration (Update) 4
- Happy returns: Datsyuk plays for Detroit 2
- Gearing up: Malkin, Hornqvist return for Pens 0
- Five big games to watch this weekend 8
- Video: Kessel, Booth get into altercation at Leafs practice 34
- Playoff watch — what the bubble teams need to do 29
- After Howard fails to ‘bounce back,’ Mrazek to receive ‘opportunity’ 36
- Dreger: ‘In Kessel’s case, I firmly believe he’s going to be traded’ (73)
- Coyotes ‘win’ against Sabres in OT (58)
- Red Wings beat Blues in OT, but should winning goal count? (56)
- Tank-worthy? Connor McDavid finishes OHL season with 120 points in 47 games (56)
- Report: No fine or suspension for Tyler Toffoli’s hit on Alex Burrows (51)