Dec 30, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
“Anything right now we’ll take, as far as moving (the process) along here,” Brouwer said. “Guys want to get back to playing hockey. We know the timeline here is getting squished pretty substantially. If something’s going to happen, it’s going to happen in the next week or 10 days. Right now, players don’t know what it all entails. But in the next few days I’m sure there’ll be some talks going on, if nothing else, about this proposal.”
The general reactions from the players Myers polled probably matches those of fans and other onlookers: plenty of exhaustion with a slight hint of optimism.
For those who might be frustrated that the two sides didn’t jump right back into talks with time whittling down dangerously close to deadline territory, Chicago Blackhawks tough guy Jamal Mayers gave a good explanation.
“Seeing that it was a 288-page document, it will take a day or so for the NHLPA staff to review and get clarification where necessary,” Mayers said. “I’m hopeful this will finally lead to real negotiations to get back on the ice.”
Not exactly bold positivity, but maybe those statements still indicate that peace might be on the horizon?
If not, our feelings might get a little “squished.”
- NHL Board of Governors approves Islanders sale 5
- Speedy recovery: Giroux (lower body) to play vs. Rangers tonight 9
- Risk Factors: Boston Bruins edition 12
- Hello Johansen? Boone Jenner out with broken hand 5
- Bruins release Leino; Boychuk staying put? 18
- Babcock doesn’t think this will be his last year with the Wings 9
- Starting tomorrow, PHT’s ‘Risk Factors’ Series 6
- Krug, Smith sign with Bruins 19
- PHT Morning Skate: Grigorenko with highlight-reel shootout goal 7
- Sabres lose Larsson, Kaleta to head injuries, Leafs’ Booth out too (Update: Franson’s hurt) 5
- Jordan Subban has ‘moved on’ after ‘unfortunate’ photo caption by Vancouver papers (52)
- Players pushed for coaching fines because they were ‘encouraged’ to dive (34)
- Sabres’ Nolan, Avalanche don’t believe in analytics (32)
- Ouch: Datsyuk (separated shoulder) out 4-5 weeks (27)
- Spooner scores, but coach Julien’s not happy (23)