Dec 30, 2012, 10:00 AM EDT
“Anything right now we’ll take, as far as moving (the process) along here,” Brouwer said. “Guys want to get back to playing hockey. We know the timeline here is getting squished pretty substantially. If something’s going to happen, it’s going to happen in the next week or 10 days. Right now, players don’t know what it all entails. But in the next few days I’m sure there’ll be some talks going on, if nothing else, about this proposal.”
The general reactions from the players Myers polled probably matches those of fans and other onlookers: plenty of exhaustion with a slight hint of optimism.
For those who might be frustrated that the two sides didn’t jump right back into talks with time whittling down dangerously close to deadline territory, Chicago Blackhawks tough guy Jamal Mayers gave a good explanation.
“Seeing that it was a 288-page document, it will take a day or so for the NHLPA staff to review and get clarification where necessary,” Mayers said. “I’m hopeful this will finally lead to real negotiations to get back on the ice.”
Not exactly bold positivity, but maybe those statements still indicate that peace might be on the horizon?
If not, our feelings might get a little “squished.”
- DeBoer predicts ‘big bounce-back’ in San Jose 8
- Sabres name Bylsma head coach 35
- Lundqvist on Game 7: ‘You’re definitely nervous, but it comes down to teamwork’ 16
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue 56
- Stanley Cup Final to begin June 3 7
- Caps’ Backstrom undergoes arthroscopic hip surgery 5
- Report: Sens’ Murray to retire after next season 0
- Of course: ‘Hawks, Ducks’ back-and-forth series is going to Game 7 49
- WATCH LIVE: Ducks at Blackhawks, Western Conference Final Game 6 1
- As Bolts deal with illness, extra day of rest could prove beneficial 11
- Kesler on wearing down Chicago: ‘No human can withstand that many hits’ (75)
- From healthy scratch to hero: Vermette scores OT winner for Blackhawks (66)
- Report: Bylsma to Sabres being held up by compensation issue (56)
- On Kreider, and trying ‘to turn the other cheek’ (54)
- Fetisov wants to restrict young Russians from playing in the NHL (53)